AMC: Pete on contract!

• Members

ABC released promo pics of Daniel Kennedy and Beth Ehlers today. Here's Daniel's:

http://www.sweetestgoodbyes.org/gallery/di...cat=0&pos=1

No recurring star ever gets promo pictures, so I guess he's on contract! Also, whenever they take pictures, they shoot footage for the opening, so we'll be seeing him, Reese, and Brot added soon! :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well if that's in fact the case, then great for him. :D But... why?? Seems to me that Petey is perfectly suited for recurring, and I find it a little sad if Jill is still recurring (and I believe James now too, but for more understandable reasons). Maybe Petey's got a big s/l in store for him, but if we're talking cost cutting, this appears to be an unnecessary move on AMC's part. But again, good for him.

• Members

Yeah, then it especially hurts when they demote you again. :P Actually, I think that's exactly what they did to Marj Dusay on GL. But she was on contract, let go, brought back as recurring, she quit, brought back on contract, dropped to recurring. And you're right, Petey's less expensive than Opal. Does anyone know, is there an actors on contract quota that must be met? In other words, could a show even get away with 10 steady contract members in a sea of recurring stars? I don't believe that this is something that AFTRA can put its hands on, but I wonder if there's some sort of official/unofficial network rule?

• Members

I'm certain there's not a quota, but the contract is insurance that they won't have to recast a role because the actor got itchy during pilot season, etc. Besides, when a lot of actors start green and haven't established themselves as hits with the audience yet, it's easier to start them on contract and drop them if they fail, than to try and sign them to a contract after they've proven they're a hot talent and already have other offers. IF Kennedy has been put on contract, I'm actually surprised it's taken so long because for the most part I think he was popular right off the bat.

AMC already has a pretty lean cast as it is. Pretty much all of the cast has a stake in major drama right now, including Opal (bless that Jill Larson!), and except Palmer and Joe, and Taylor and Brot. They need to do something to fix that because Beth Ehlers "star power" is definitely being wasted on that island called Brot that she's been languishing on.

Honestly, I think any hour-long soap could run on 25 contract regulars and maybe 10 strong recurring.

• Members

Though I do not think this is any indication of a contract, I think the writers have struck gold with Petey. He is the most accurate portrayal of a Pennsylvania Main Line Teenager I have ever seen on TV, not just Daytime. Someone actually did their research when deciding where they were going to take the character this time around.

• Members

I agree, I just wish they would feature him more....

Perhaps since he is recurring Daniel has not been available recently, because in his initial months he was on 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. I kind of liked him and Adam, they dropped that quite quickly.

Archived