Jackie Zeman Lands on Her Feet at HSN

• Members

I stumbled upon the Jacklyn Zeman Jewelry Collection on the HSN website...

Well, I am very happy to see that while Jackie has gotten the shaft at GH she has landed on her feet at HSN, shilling a jewelry line that she's designed with HSN. Videos of Jackie hawking her sparkling wares are available here:

http://jewelry.hsn.com/jacklyn-zeman-jewel...ev=hp&ccm=J

Zeman has always excelled in interviews and public appearances. She's very positive, which I think really appeals to audiences, be them soap fans or shopping channel devotees. She's looking pretty good, nothing fixes mediocre work better than time. I'm really happy for Jackie and hope that this venture brings her much success. GH would be wise to see that if HSN sees a market for Jackie Zeman, they should as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it is tragic.

Honestly, I think she still looks tragic.

I think shilling cheap jewelry is a huge descent for a one-time frontburner star of GH.

I think ABC (in general), but especially GH, ought to look closely at the Y&R/B&B demos, and the fact that an older frontburner cast is getting the numbers and demos ABC so richly desires.

The obvious ageism at ABC has drive Zeman and Charleson to such tragic (sorry, there is that work again) extremes.

• Members

You know, I refuse to blame GH for them doing that crap to their faces.

There are other older women on GH and other ABC shows that haven't done what they have, but still get shown on a regular or semi-regular basis so I really don't see how GH is to blame for their actions.

As for JZ, work is work I guess, I just hope she stays away from the HSN tv spots.

• Members

It is not just ABC that is to blame for actresses getting face lifts. It is all of Hollywood and we as Americans altogether.

It is not just Leslie Charleson and jackie Zeman - look at what Joan Van Ark and Hunter Tylo and Donna Mills have done to their faces. Look at what Jeanne Cooper did or Joan Rivers who are early examples of it.

Sadly if you want to be famous in Hollywood and the industry you have got to be young esp. in the USA. I mean how often do we read on the messageboards about so and so not looking so good these days or other various comments about a person's look. How many times has it been posted that Michael E. Knight should dye his hair

Or how often do you see pictures posted and comments made about it. We are just as much a root of the problems with Hollywood as the powers that be are.

I mean just look at Josh Duhamel for instance. He is a good looking man and he often gets cited for that but when he did the nude photos what was the first thing most people said - they said his penis was too short or too small. Now how is that supposed to make him feel.

That is one thing that I wish we could get better about in America. We criticize and talk about the religious fanatics and the racists and all that but a problem just as big hides in just about all of us and that is ageism. And not just ageism but the whole appearnace thing. It is a problem that many of us have as children and teenagers but sadly we don't grow out of it.

And in the extent we have become a nation where we are judged by our looks and our age. And we judge others by it and make them uncomfortable to even be who they are or want to be.

• Members

I don't think it's tragic. I also don't think it's a huge descent, to me it's a horizontal step, HSN stardom and soap stardom are very much intertwined. Susan Lucci, Finola Huges and Zeman are just three of the ladies who have made a lot of money selling, selling selling.

But yes, ABC Daytime is totally ageist.

What other 'older woman' on GH appears on a regular or semi regular basis?

• Members

This is an interesting topic to me as it brings up so many issues.

re Jackie Zeman and HSN.Personally I say,go Jackie.If she wants to sell this cheap ass stuff to Middle America,then go for it.Nobody is putting a gun to their heads.

Hopefully La Zeman was smart enough to invest her money from when she was making 'big' bucks on GH and this is just another revenue source and interest for her to pursue instead of twiddling her thumbs and hoping GH will write her into more than 2 eps a month.

Let's face it,Bulgari ain't going to be asking Jackie to design for them any time soon.

As for getting work done,I am conflicted about this one.

I understand the argument about growing old naturally,but times have changed and medical advances have been made.Most people would not object to someone dyeing their hair,wearing makeup,flattering clothes and getting their teeth done ,but then are up in arms about Botox etc.

The Joan Van Arks,Hunter Tylos etc have gone to extremes,but that doesn't mean a little work done is a bad thing.I think Jeanne Cooper looks sensational for 80!

And she obviously has the mind set that she wants to stay vital and involved as long as possible.

Too many people think they should try to look younger instead of better.

Take a trip to the local mall and see what most people look and dress like.They have given up.Maybe there needs to be more focus on looking your best at any age,whether you have work done or not.

As for showbiz,it has always been an ageist and sexist industrythat pushes a fantasy.Remember those closeups in old movies that were so out of focus,so the star looked younger.

Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were considered over the hill at 40.

Bravo to Y&R for having Jill,Katherine,Gloria,Esther,Nikki and Ashley on screen every day.

• Members

I personally don't like plastic surgery, but I feel if thats what they want to do, then they should do it. I like Jackie Zeman not matter what she does or any of the others for that matter, the surgery don't change their acting abilities. Hunter Tylo is not pretty as she use to be, but I still like her no matter what.

• Members

Jeanne Cooper does look sensational for 80 - thanks to plastic surgery.

To me that doesn't mean that someone at 80 who didn't have the plastic surgery doesn't look good either. I know that everyone does not agree with me but to me gray hair and even wrinkles can be beautiful because they are natural and they are part of life.

I have no problem with anyone doing what they want to their own bodies - that is their perogative. The problem I do have is a nation that forces people to conform to an idea and being judged on appearance and not on things that matter. That to me is just as bad as judging them on the color of their skin, their lifestyle, etc.

One of the things I love about the foreign soaps I have watched is that even in the faces of the performers there is diversity. Not everyone looks like they are ripped from the pages of Vogue or GQ. They are unique. They look like people you meet. There is variety and balance.

I say let those that want to do those things to their bodies do it. But don't judge someone who doesn't as of less importance - just because they choose to age in a different way. I am proud that Michael E. Knight and even Kathryn Hays before him are comfortable enough in their appearance to show their gray hair and say no. The producers kept forcing Hays to dye her hair and she finally said no more.

• Members

Jackie Zeman WAS smart with her money and I'm sure she thanks her lucky stars that she paid cash for everything and got into stocks before the bubble burst, that's why she didn't moan about her renegotiated contract like Robin Strasser did, Jackie could afford it. She and her ex-husband, with whom she remains friends, split the proceeds of their $6 million house in Malibu and both remain residents of the area, Jackie's house has a view of the ocean...financially, she's pretty set. She was smart enough to not only manage her money but also marry a man (Glenn Gordon, her most recent husband and now ex) who was great with money and made a lot of it himself as a real estate developer. Their divorce was civil and quiet because they didn't have to fight about money, they both knew they had enough to live comfortably.

Jackie was smart to do all those infomercials over the years, lots of people in daytime mocked her behind her back, but she's the one with a beach house and they're the ones who are desperate for work and selling their fancy houses desperate to downsize into lifestyles they can afford. I'm certain this gig is a fun thing for her to do that makes her a nice income, keeps her in the public eye and has zero risk (as she simply designs and fronts the line, she doesn't manufacture it, HSN does that)...I do hope GH will keep her on canvas in whatever capacity Frons will allow. It's Frons who hates Zeman. JFP actually likes her and Guza is a friend of hers. There is a network wide mandate at ABC Daytime to keep 'over 50s' to a minimum. Jackie is a victim of that ageism.

You're ABSOLUTELY right. And I LOVE the part that I've bolded...IT'S ABOUT LOOKING GOOD, NOT YOUNG. Youth happens once, it cannot be recreated. Good can and is recreated day in and day out. I make people look 'good' or 'better' or 'refreshed' 5 days a week. Looking good is a Hollywood standard unless you are a character actor whose yen is looking like hell.

I find it sad when people 'give up' with the way they look. Looking bad on the outside reflects feeling bad on the inside.

Jeanne Cooper is the epitome of looking good for her age. She has a ton of wrinkles but she's got a sharp jawline. She has expression in her face but her skin is clear. She's walked the fine line between 'great' and 'ghastly' perfectly. A lot of people could learn a lot from Jeanne Cooper. Her whole attitude is that age doesn't matter. When people have that attitude they automatically win the game.

I am absolutely biased in favor of good dermatology and plastic surgery. If it makes you feel good, I say go for it with good taste and restraint, less is more. Having said that, I love that when I watch Y&R and see Katherine, Jill, Esther, Gloria, Nikki and Ashley that I see real WOMEN, not pathetic ghouls desperate to be young girls again. When I watch B&B I'm thrilled to see that Susan Flannery's late 80's face lift has stood the test of time and that although she's gained and lost weight and has aged, she still remains vital. I loved that Darlene Conley's face was a roadmap of wrinkles but that her bold personality shone through her red coiffure. When I watch DAYS I am delighted to see Suzanne Rogers' totally mobile face on screen, acting and reacting with dynamism or Lauren Koslow's smooth complexion say to the world "I have not given up and I take care of myself!"

That's my message, take care of yourself. Get 8 hours of sleep a night, exercise as much as you can, take vitamins, drink water, eat real food, laugh, wear sunscreen, moisturize, take pride in your clothing regardless of your budget, stay vital, be positive, if you feel a shot of Botox or Juvederm would perk you up by all means do it and most important, AGE AND GROW YOUR WAY!

• Members

But in no time you become a plastified semi-human full of fillers, bacteria and all sorts of other implants. Everything cut, laser-treated, your whole system injected with terrible doses of a platoon of chemicals and in no time, as I say, you're not even human. You become a shadow of your former self. And nope, I don't think people look better - you can always tell when someone had a job done. Plastic job or a dermo job. It's not normal to look 30 when being 60, 70 or 80.

Horror.

• Members

This has to be a joke. :D She looks horrible, appalling. Terrible hair, tons of make-up, hideous nails, it's just a walking comedy. Instead of looking classy and decent in her age, I just feel sad for her. Sad, sad what humans will do to look "good".

Precisely - if you can't detect it, it's there.

Archived