Jackie Zeman Lands on Her Feet at HSN

• Members

If that's a spray tan then she'll have sustained absolutely no UV damage at all. Although I don't really like the spray booth tanning because of the chemicals that are undoubtedly inhaled if users aren't absolutely flawlessly careful they are waaaaay better than a 'tanning' bed.

The sun is your friend in very limited doses and always with SPF 30 on your face and neck. A little sun damage on your arms never hurt anyone and the Vitamin D that is produced through sun exposure does your body a great deal of good health wise, but going for a dark tan increases skin cancer risk by huge margins and rapidly ages the skin. It simply is not safe and it never was.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a fascinating subject and I would agree that society -- dictated by Hollywood and the media -- puts enormous pressure on people, women especially, to look young at all costs. At all costs!

I'm not saying it is much better in other countries, but I was intrigued that in France, for example, women "of a certain age" seem to be openly admired in the street as much as the lithe young twentysomethings.

As for Jackie Zeman, I would love to see her back on GH as she is an important legacy character. And IA that Guza's not the one writing Bobbie out of the show. I hate what he's done to GH but I think he's always liked JZ, giving her great story like Carly returning into her life and relationships with Stefan and Ray.

I'm glad she's landing on her feet and doing other projects, though. JZ always strikes me as a very vibrant presence.

• Members

Isn't that a cool site DaytimeFan?? This kid is one of my favorite examples of how a few simple changes can make a dramatic difference:

http://www.facialsurgery.com/BAPg1rhf2lhc1..._ci45_hmc3.html

But I think DF's point about looking good for one's age, not looking younger, is a great point. People tease or scoff when I rave about Susan Lucci's looks, and no, I don't think she looks 30, but that's the point. What attracts me, impresses me even, is the fact that she looks so damn good for a woman in her early 60s. And she did that, she made it happen, so I say, You GO Susan! She looks better for her age now than she did for her age at several thens. There's that famous line about looking good later in life is earned, not some happy accident of youth. It's like a different form of attraction. When I look at Joan and Diahann in Dynasty, I am wowed by these very attractive late 40/early 50 something women, just in awe of how devastatingly beautiful these older woman are (especially Diahann, I don't think any woman on TV has ever looked more perfectly beautiful than she did as Dominique, her face is exquisite). Now, they don't incite the same reaction that Angelina Jolie or Jenna Haze do, but it's more of an appreciation for self-preservation.

• Members

That example with the very young guy is very dramatic and it was really very simple work that achieved that sort of perfect result. He looks terrific.

I'm glad you got my point, it's about looking GOOD, not about looking YOUNG.

What I appreciate with an actress like Jess Walton or Lauren Koslow is that they don't look 30 or even their late 40s. They look like mid 50s or early 60s women who have kept it together and look fabulous as a result. They look like real women, just beautiful and without a ton of harsh, asymmetrical wrinkles and sags.

I also know what you mean about Joan Collins and Diahann Carroll on 'Dynasty'...they didn't look 40, they looked 50 but they looked GREAT (they both still do).

And for the record, the procedure that took Jackie Zeman from 'pretty' to 'uh-oh' was her cheek implants. Jackie is an example of wanting to look young, rather than looking good. Jackie never had cheekbones, she didn't have those apple shaped cheeks, never never never. For some reason, her surgeon convinced her or agreed to do cheekbone implants that changed the structure of her face. Basically, genetics didn't intend for Jackie Zeman to have cheekbones, she got them anyway and they simply don't match the rest of her face. Her eyejob, very nice, the nosejob, excellent, the condition of her skin, like clear glass, the lips, better than Joan Van Ark or Lisa Rinna...but the cheekbones, THAT was her mistake. Everyone thinks she had a facelift, she didn't...her face looks so different because it now projects out thanks to the cheekbone implants.

• Members

This thread inspired me to change my avatar to showcase Stephanie Beacham. Though not as well known as Joan Collins or Diahann Carroll, she, too, epitomized the fortysomething woman back in late 80s Dynasty in all her glory. That first picture, with the cleavage and the nails! Pure Dynasty! :lol:

016.jpg026.jpg

041.jpgsb.jpg

All these actresses (divas, in the most beautiful sense of the word) were more than just comfortable in their own skin. They harked back to those 1940s and 50s movie stars like Bette Davis, Ava Gardner, Joan Crawford, Ingrid Bergman. Women who were women, not little girls. Who were not always cookie-cutter pretty but were all the more stunning for it.

IMO, Jackie Zeman's good-natured attitude does shine through the mistakes her surgeon has made on her face. It's a shame she had done what she had done because she already had so much dark-haired moxie and pretty to fall back on, you know? But I can only hope that in time the work done will settle. And that GH will recognize the error of their ways in sending her to Recurring.

• Members

I adore Stephanie, talk about someone you would listen to read the phonebook. Her Sable Colby was magnificent, she was more blessed than Diahann in terms of material. But they all looked great. Stephanie is the youngest of the bunch, and they tried to age her with those grey streaks in her hair. Stupid. It's a soap, she's a rich bitch, it's okay if she looks five years older than her children and is married to a Brontosaurus. There are some very steamy photos of Stephanie early in her career.

It was interesting listening to Nolan Miller talk about these three ladies in his TV archive interview. Diahann and Stephanie wanted to be dressed like Joan (the peplum jackets), but the producers were adamant against it. Only one Alexis. That was her look. Diahann looked softer, like she was dressed for church instead of business, and Stephanie was more casual chic.

• 2 months later...

Archived