AMC: Monday, 1/12/09

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, new Colby needs to go. I think that she's so cold like an icicle and she's annoying, and unsympathetic. The other day when she was talking to JR on the yacht, even though she was right about the stuff she was saying, I, wanted her to just go away like JR did. I don't like her at all. Hopefully the show will get rid of her and Randi as well. I wouldn't mind her being recasted because I think that Adam should have at least two kids on canvas.

• Members

I hate the term notColby but I agree that Moncreiff needs to be let go. I am just a firm believer that the chracter is the character and the performer playing them is not. The notColby or fauxColby stuff just vilifies ABC's campaign last year that Rebecca Budig was the real Greenlee and [!@#$%^&*] like that.

If we stick by that philosophy then Erika Slezak is notVicki.

I am a firm believer in that many actors do not fit certain roles or they are just simply bad actors. Moncrieff is most likely the last, but her predecessor was not much better either. I just hope they will finally get an actress that will do the role justice esp. when you have Adam Chandler and Liza Colby as parents.

Now to the show. I loved today. Lots of good interactions and a good level of stories.

The Tad, Krystal & David stuff was the highlight, but I enjoyed Bianca/Reese and JR/Amanda a lot too. It was a nice blend of old couples ending and new couples working to find one another - with all kinds of levels of heartbreak thrown in.

They were all stories that complimented one another.

And I loved the lines quoted above too. The script writer was on fire.

• Members

Ambyr Childers got significantly better with time. Brianne has gotten worse IMO. She was better when she first started (not by much though).

If Frons were smart he would have put Crystal Hunt at AMC as Colby.

Anyways, I'm so glad MEK is back and front and centre where he belongs. And Rebecca Taylor did a pretty good job.

• Members

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, when I put "not-" in front of someone's name, usually I'm talking more about the character than the actor or actress. I feel that sometimes, when there's a recast, the character is so different from what we're used to and what we might have had for years before. I don't use notColby much because I don't think that Ambyr was in the role long enough for Colby to be fully developed, and so I think the character's development is continuing under Moncrief. But with Greenlee, it was different. Budig had played her for six years, the character was gone for a while, and then when she comes back as played by Sabine Singh, she's very different from how Rebecca played her, and in a way that transcended just nuances and stuff. And I guess that the way the character was written is also a major reason why she came off as different, but in the end, when Budig came back, it was almost as if Singh's portrayal had never taken place. Greenlee returned to the way she was prior to Budig's leaving, but honestly, the way Greenlee was for about a year and a half before she left wasn't really Greenlee to me, either, and I'd call her notGreenlee then, too, even with Budig playing her. I think it has more to do with the writing for the characters than who plays them.

But I don't deny that there are delusional whack jobs out there who discriminate just because their favorite actor or actress decided to kick the curb or was fired or whatever.

• Members

Oh there are and they have just gotten worse over the years. It has always been a part of soaps but with the growth of fan bases it has gotten worse and worse.

I remember talking to Veleka Gray in e-mails. She had the tough job of replacing Donna Mills on Love Is A Many Splendored Thing.

I agree with you that often the writers write characters different for time to time and that makes the character not act like themselves and that is bad writing.

But with Laura on LIAMST the writing for the character did not change. Laura was still Laura from the things that I saw and remembered. She looked different but that was it. Veleka Gray said no matter what she did many fans would not give her a chance. Albeit there were not as many as there are today but they were still there. She said some of the letters were awful.

I don't even knowing it has always been there doesn't lessen the sting of that faux and not term that has come about on the Internet in the last few years.

I just wonder if the Internet had been around in the 70's if we would have had actresses like Erika Slezak and Victoria Wyndham to have stuck around as they did. Both replaced very popular actresses in the roles at the time but they made them their own and now most people don't even realize that they were recasts. Same with Robin Strasser as Dorian - most people don't know that she was. The key thing that Robin had going for her was that the very popular Nancy Pinkerton had been replaced unsuccessfully a couple of times and that really helped Strasser.

I highly doubt that the character of Nicole on EON would have lasted if the Internet had been around as Maeve McGuire was a touch actress to recast too.

I love the idea of Crystal Hunt in the role too. Some others that I would love to get a chance are Mackenzie Mauzy who played Lizzie on GL as a young girl. That is who I use in my fan fic. But I also think Jessica Dunphy would be good too. She is about the same age as Crystal Hunt and is a very good actress. I think even Lindze Letherman (although not as beautiful) would be good.

• Members

Not particularly a fan of Crystal Hunt, but yes I agree....Brianne is as wooden as she was her initial weeks..... now that Baker is gone she is probably the most lifeless actress and character on the show. At least when the writing dictated it, Baker could step it up. Brianne just stands there and reads from a piece of paper.

• Members

"You gave me mercy sex, so that makes it alright for you to wrap your legs around David?"

LMAO! I dont care how hypocritical it may be but Tad had the LoTD with that one.

1 thing bothered me. JR was clearly drunk and Tad saw that. Why did he just throw him out of his house and make him leave? Im assuming JR drove. It was kind of irresponsible and I would have expected him to make JR go upstairs and call for someone to come take care of him

Bianca, STFU! Is anyone supposed to feel sorry for her?

Ive been a supporter of NuColby but I have to admit that you guys are right in that she has seemed to have gotten worse. Ive noticed this in her scenes with JR lately. She comes across flat and kind of ends her lines too abrupt. I still prefer hr over Ambyr who I couldnt stand. They need to reevaluate the character bc she's kind of blah now. They should have kept her as a bitch bc she was more interesting that way

Petey, she's just not that into you. I love him and Colby as friends and think they'd make a great platonic pair. I really wish he'd give up on her already

• Members

Today was really good, guys. I usually hate a Rebecca Taylor day and actually rolled my eyes when her name came on screen.

Today was everything a soap should be about and what many are forgetting. Three stories had been building up since Pratt began writing: (1) Bianca/Reese/Zack, (2) Krystal/David/Tad and (3) Colby/Petey (which really began under B&E). Denouement, fallout. Bianca revealed everything she was truly thinking about Reese/Zack; Krystal revealed she had slept with David to Tad, and Petey revealed that he can't be just friends. Even JR/Amanda was on target, though not a reveal.

THis is soap people...things happen and the fallout. Not tornadoes, metro court stations, libidizone cruises, people going over waterfalls, plane crashes, earthquakes or shootings! Soaps are AFTERMATH; soaps are REACTION, as evidenced in the quintessential soap staple--the hold on the character's face as they react to what someone has said before going to commercial.

Today is why I watch my soap. Today is why I watch soaps.

Archived