The Politics Thread

• Members

so far 4 republicans have spoken out against it. the majority in DC have, from what i have read, [!@#$%^&*] down the telephone service and their email service. NOW they don;t want anything to do with what Gilligan has done. but they were all for it until they realized..."this man is truly a childish little boy who is letting Steve Bannon run the country."

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@DRW50 Yeah, something tells me that Obama had absolutely no influence over the Brexit decision, either way.  Especially since there had been a concerted effort over decades, to build up resentment in England toward the European Union.

People like Boris Johnson used their access to the tabloids to write vitriol about the EU and the ECB for at least 20 years.

His anti-EU feelings found a kindred spirit in UKIP and an all out misinformation campaign began. By the way, one of the key backers of 'Brexit' (known as the godfather of Brexit) has bragged about exchanging ideas with Trump, once telling Trump that facts were "white noise" and that "emotions rule". 

I don't believe anything Obama said, negative or not, was going to have any impact on a 20 year anti-EU campaign that had clearly taken root.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I don't think it was his fault by any means. I just mean that politically speaking it was very tin-eared, so I used it as an example of him losing some touch with the base of politics. Obviously he had to show support for Cameron, so I guess he thought he should be very clear, but I think it gave extremists more of an opening to seem populist and such.

• Members

I just wonder if the momentum can continue or if people end up exhausting out. Seriously I think much of the country was looking forward to not having the daily dose of Trumplestain. IMO it wore out long before the end of the campaign season.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Seriously. The only question here is which country will we be at war with first. China, Russia or some of the Arabic nations. I know people think he's buddy buddy with Russia, but the man is erratic and completely unstable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he and Putin are at each others throats a year from now.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I think people can carry on like this for a while, but I worry about when the crackdowns start - against the press, and with authorities against protesters. I think the only reason it hasn't started in more earnest as of yet is because Trump and Bannon are so disoraganized and abrasive. That's one of the reasons I'm so wary of Pence, because I think he would be able to do these types of things more efficiently. 

• Members

Let them try. The reaction to this is unlike anything I've ever seen in America, including anything from the Bush years. The social media age is a different game. You can either worry or you can fight.

From an acquaintance: