Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I look at a lot of the comments (I don't mean here BTW) that essentially amount to how ashamed and horrified the world must be (they may be, but the world has a whole lot of problems of their own...), and a part of me remembers why so many end up flocking to demonic carnival barkers like Trump.  He said over and over  the world hates us, the world is disgusted by us. He rallied that type of vote, that wanted to send a message. The same type of vote that thinks Democrats hate them and want to ruin their lives. And that vote is constantly, constantly undercounted before every election. I don’t really care if somebody that someone knows in Australia or Japan or wherever is disgusted by America. (I'm not talking about the comments here - I mean at other places, which were much nastier and more patronizing) They’re wonderful places but they have their own cultures, lives, and struggles. We need to have better arguments than that. The whole “vote against Trump unless you’re an awful hatemonger hated by the world” was a losing argument and we just may be seeing that tonight.  

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Right. For so many reasons Americans are not moved by that kind of argument at all.  We won't always be the world's only super power, but for right now that's just the way it is.  I think people like Noam Chomsky and Arundhati Roy are spot on in that sense.  If this were the Hunger Games, we'd be The Capital.

• Members

I kept seeing people compare this to Brexit, which I disagreed with (I guess I was wrong), but that was one of the losing arguments against Brexit as well - essentially, "You're so stupid! You're so stupid!" 

It may be true - it likely is true as with a Trump win we're all likely going to burn - but it's not something that gets a vote.