Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please don't just pick up things you find on Twitter tonight and repurpose them.

And I don't think this was about Hillary so much as it was about the dying of the light in older white America. But Hillary being a woman hasn't helped.

• Members

I'm gay, Jewish and I guess very, very superficiailly handicapped, though I am not legally classified as such and do not consider myself that. It's something I think about, especially after the little boy in the wheelchair the other day, but I still pass as an upwardly mobile white guy who many people (inexplicably, IMO) mistake for straight. It's not the same thing as what you and so many others face. The rising tide of antisemitism does terrify me.

• Members

I know that's true, but at the same time I'm not sure I believe Sanders or Biden would have won either.  He said some nasty thing about Hillary, but he didn't flat out bully her the same way he did his Republican opponents. Apparently his staff told him that would come off badly. He would have been free to go all out of a male opponent.

I don't know, I guess I do think this was like Brexit. People wanted change no matter the cost.

• Members

Im so sorry. As a white woman in another country, I can't even be able to understand the pain and frightening feeling you all are having. I'm Jewish so I can come from a place of someone who has faced anti-semitism and it's a horrible, heartbreaking feeling. I remember hearing the stories from my grandparents about having to flee Europe during WWII to escape what was happening there. I can't help but feeling that America is now heading towards that ugliness again. I'm just so sorry for all of you.

• Members

Not to minimize...any of this, but it is unbelievably surreal to now live in a country where Ivanka "brand? what brand?" Trump will have major influence on national and global politics. 

Trump's closing ad was essentially a clarion call for anti-Semitism. I wonder if those Jewish Republicans who kept their mouths shut for their own agenda this year will ever speak up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/anti-semitism-is-no-longer-an-undertone-of-trumps-campaign-its-the-melody/2016/11/07/b1ad6e22-a50a-11e6-8042-f4d111c862d1_story.html

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The media helped to normalize Trump as a legitimate candidate. If it was for ratings, they played a dangerous game. Like Putin jails or disappears press/media that oppose him, some form of this is a possibility.

My personal finances suffered under Bush's economy but this feels worse. A man who use racist raced baiting, mysogyny, xenophobia and outright vitriolic speech is on the threshold of becoming the next President, I feel like more than my finances will suffer.

I don't know whether you can so easily repeal Roe v. Wade but Obamacare will certainly be in serious peril and so is the balance of the Supreme Court.

And he STILL never released his taxes! That's how you know all the arguments about it being all just about economic fears was b-ullshit!  He was held to a lower standard from the very beginning.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I understand why people are afraid, but this is not going to turn into Nazi Germany. It's going to be ugly, but there is not going to be systematic murder. Our President does not have anywhere near that kind of power. No matter how much I don't like the Republicans there is no reason to think they have murder on their minds. More people will probably be deported and it will be harder for immigrants to come here, but that is not the same as mass murder.

Edited by Juliajms