The Politics Thread

• Members

I think that people put much more importance on the idea of the trial being "painful" for Republicans than the public does. It isn't going to be painful for them because they are soulless. I think people were waiting and waiting for a moment of reckoning that was never going to arrive and will never arrived. It's just going to take a lot of painful, ugly work to scrape through each coming election, thanks to gerrymandering, voting regression, and a media that hate us and want us to suffer, and the impeachment and impending acquittal were never going to change that. Most of the public have moved on.

Speaking of people who hate us and don't seem to be going away:

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it was a very stupid, unforced blunder to call for witnesses and then reverse themselves because the Senate is an aging, corrupt entity. It's obvious this is happening because McConnell threatened to completely slow up COVID relief if they went ahead, and killing the filibuster is the only way to stop him - which, right now, Manchin and Sinema won't do. That's a failure on their part, but IMO Schumer should still take that case to the public and make Manchin and Sinema walk the plank on refusing to do what is necessary to stop McConnell; to both expedite this trial and pass COVID relief at the same.

The Senate Dems are going to eat shít for awhile because of this and those in the Senate who are responsible for this (and I suspect it's only a handful) deserve to. It's good we will be going forward with our agenda and that will heal a lot of wounds, but this is not acceptable and can't be allowed to continue happening.

• Members

We already have a Trump Party. 

It's not fair, but that's basically his life story. He does whatever he wants and gets a pass. 

I think we underestimate how miraculous it was that he even lost. That is the closest we will ever get to a reckoning for him. The hard work is still to come, but so much has happened since November that we never really got to take that moment in.

Schumer is getting most of the backlash, but then I'm not really sure what other options there are. Some are calling for Warren, which is not going to happen, and others are trying to push the AOC primary Schumer fantasy again (she would lose in a landslide and destroy her image). I don't really know who should or shouldn't be blamed, other than Manchin and Sinema, but it just reminds me again of how consistently Senate Democrats let the side down in terms of strategy and being out of touch.

• Members

I want those in the senate who have the power to make the lives of Sinema and Manchin difficult. The only way anything changes is if the filibuster is dumped. Sinema won't get re-elected without a lot of people who want it to happen n Arizona continue to support her and I still believe Manchin would agree to it provided Biden and the senate makes it worthwhile. He's not running to the GOP. If he was he would have done that when he ran for re-election and when Trump  was president. Voters don't care about the filibuster they want legislation to pass.

• Members

The mainstream media rage seems focused on the GOP atm, so that's good.

McConnell is fooling himself if he thinks GOP legislature will do his job for him. I'm sure the GOP is desperate for anyone to bar him from running other than having to do it themselves. I don't think Trump will run again - I don't think he has the attention span or stamina to make it happen without foundational infrastructure support he won't have next time - but I am not expecting much else.

I do think it's important to make a distinction; this isn't the Dems at large. I think a couple very specific Dems (Manchin and Sinema) were not willing to do what was necessary to nuke the filibuster and destroy McConnell's ploy to halt COVID relief if this trial continued. And if they do it again on any other issue (and no, I wouldn't take it as a given that they will when it comes to actual Biden/Dem initiatives, which have very strong public support) then we should crucify them in public. And if Schumer won't do that then he can go too. This won't determine the midterms, at all, and the Senate was never going to vote to impeach. But it is something people will only get perspective on in time.