The Politics Thread

• Webmaster

Post as much as you want. Unless one is openly attacking posters on an individual basis, opinions on issues, including politics, are welcome even if they go against what others think/say. You shouldn't feel like you have to support something or someone you don't believe in for any reason other than people might not like hearing you say it.

If the ignore feature works best for you or others, so be it. It's an unfortunate tool but necessary if it's the only solution. Better than the other options.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Non-positive thoughts are one thing. God knows we've all been enduring them for years. But I'm sorry, saying this country is 'all but dead' when we just won an election pretty handily in spite of the racist, ignorant segment of the country that has always been with us - it didn't just spring up in the last week, or the last four years, so what they're doing now is no surprise - is just not accurate. The country just showed us the exact opposite of that statement. Our country actually has a verifiable future path now. I am able to white-knuckle through my hours, days, weeks and months a few less than I could five days ago. We have an incoming administration that can act on things in a positive way despite limitations (as Biden's new climate plan indicates, among other things) and that counts for a great deal. You know I care about you Carl, but I am not the first person here to call you recently on this sort of stuff. It's one thing to struggle with what we live with. It's another to give into despair in the face of reality. We won and I'm not here to pretend we lost and give up. We have too much work to do.

• Members

I see what you mean. And again, I will be posting less here anyway, but as I said, if my comments bother people, they should just put me on ignore and they won't have to see them. I can try to be positive, although I'm not very good at it, but I can never guarantee that I am going to be able to meet that standard, especially the way things are right now. It is hyperbolic, yes, but it's just hard not to have these feelings today, moreso every day. Hopefully things will turn around, but I don't really have that voice in me anymore to think it can or will. But we will see.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You know I'm not interested in putting you on ignore. But I don't think it's too much to ask that we acknowledge the victory we have. There are a lot of people who've worked very hard and will still have to work hard, but who accomplished a pretty impressive victory despite everything we've all been through and are still going through, and that gives us a path to a much better future than the alternative. That all counts for a lot. If we'd lost to Trump then I'd have a lot more time for statements like 'the country is dead.' No, the country just proved it isn't. And it doesn't mean we're sweeping the real future challenges and heartaches under the rug to acknowledge that and have some hope for tomorrow.