The Politics Thread

• Members

Amen brother. I admit I fell for this a little bit. I knew that the post 9/11 period led to a serious erosion in privacy due to Bush, but I was pretty out of the loop just having started in the job market. I wasn't following the day to day on what they were up to, but I do know nearly a million people died in the ME due to their warmongering.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Interestingly enough, if people bothered to listen to Obama speak, he has said more than once that the rancor coming from the GOP preceded Trump.  As for Bush, let's face it:  America actively searches for ways to give white men a pass from the egregious acts that they've committed.

The American Bar Association that the Republican Senate committee has been citing so much as the "Gold Standard" has asked for a delay to allow for a FBI investigation of Kavanaugh.

• Members

He was saying it even during the election, but most people don't care. 

I've always been a bit put off by the way that so many use W's friendship with the Obamas as some kind of a great noble act on his part. I'm sure that it is a genuine friendship, but when I hear people go on and on about W and Michelle I'm reminded of when they did the same about him with Condi Rice, which always has the undertone of applauding him for not keeping a black woman at arm's length.

I saw that about the ABA. It was amusing to see the far right immediately claim the ABA was just a liberal lie machine (even though extremists like Kavanaugh and Lindsey Graham were happy enough to brag about ABA support yesterday) and also lie about things like the ABA not supporting Robert Bork. 

This will just make them put even more importance on the Federalist Society and that ilk, even though they are to blame for getting the disastrous Kavanaugh where he is now, rather than someone who actually knows how to behave.

• Members

Who says they're friends?  Did you see Mrs. Obama at the London Olympics and other public events?  Michelle Obama is a hugger, she hugs just about everyone. Has Bush ever been to the Obama's home?  Have the Obamas ever been to the Bush ranch?  If not, I wouldn't call them friends.  They are cordial and friendly, at best.  Michelle is likely trying to demonstrate to the nation that one can disagree and still be friendly but people believe what they want to make them feel comfort with themselves.  America does a lot of myth-making in order to try to drive away reality.  We can be friendly but a friend who has never come to your home, or you his?  Nah, that ain't real, boo.

I'm fully aware that the GOP will shift the goalposts on the ABA after touting their credentials for weeks.  We all know how ethically and morally bankrupt the GOP is and they are proud to show this.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Condoleeza Rice was in W.'s administration and supported his policies.  Rice also accidentally once referred to him as her husband, so I can actually see where some might jump to conclusions a bit there.  

The only similarities I see between the two is how America loves to use black women to burnish the humanity credentials of white men (and a few black men too).  That is, when they are not castigating black women for being unfeminine (which the right-wing frequently did with Michelle Obama).