The Politics Thread

• Members

Well, that's what I'm talking about. Old, lazy narratives that need to be slowly broken, and the compulsive need for a horse race is what good journalists and otherwise decent people are always working with or against - and sometimes both for and against without realizing the cognitive dissonance. Our media is complicit in a lot of ways. But that doesn't change the fact that there are also a lot of people doing good work in compromised institutions, and we need them because we have no viable alternative that can reach the most people. Further, it's sometimes the laziest personalities, shows or networks that reach the laziest or most ambivalent audiences in the middle of America when they get outraged about something like the camps. That is important, no matter the delivery system or the personality. The result is what matters.

And they never will. To me waiting for it is a waste of time.

The Morning Joe crew have a multitude of sins to answer for, but they'd still never cosign putting people into camps. They are human beings with some core of decency, however blinkered or hypocritical. More importantly, from a cold and pragmatic standpoint, they serve an important function, as I indicated above - they are an access point to the lazy Beltway media and bureaucracy. Everyone in Washington, in media or on Capitol Hill, knows about, watches or goes on that show and others like it. If people like that crew turn on Trump vehemently and often and speak to their human outrage - however hypocritical given their past sins - that trickles down to the rest of the lazy, cushioned Beltway class, bit by bit. It is using their own people to galvanize them. Their own tribe is what they understand. I don't have to forgive them to favor that usage.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've only seen two members of the media acknowledge that they screwed up in 2016: Jeffrey Toobin (“I think there was a lot of false equivalence in the 2016 campaign. That every time we said something, pointed out something about Donald Trump — whether it was his business interests, or grab ’em by the p–––y, we felt like, ‘Oh, we gotta, like, talk about — we gotta say something bad about Hillary.’ And I think it led to a sense of false equivalence that was misleading, and I regret my role in doing that.”) and Amy Chozick ("The Bernie Bros and Mr. Trump’s Twitter trolls had called me a donkey-faced whore and a Hillary shill, but nothing hurt worse than my own colleagues calling me a de facto instrument of Russian intelligence. The worst part was, they were right.").

Everyone else is still out here doing what they did before.

https://t.co/u47CQGrgIA   'I REALLY DON'T CARE, DO U?' Melania wears a $39 jacket with a very controversial message scrawled on the back as she boards a plane to visit immigrant children at the Texas border  https://t.co/wVqfmYdizd  Crisis actor spotted at Texas child migrant detention center

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

When you're the First Lady, you know all eyes will be upon you, and that people will scrutinize your every move.  Even if Melania wasn't actually saying she didn't give a f**k about the immigrant babies and children being forced into concentration camps, she (or her team) had to have been aware of the kind of statement wearing that particular jacket would have made at that particular moment.  So, either they're clueless, or they truly do not care.  (Or, it's probably a little of both, lol.)

Aunt Bee and Marion Cunningham would be beside themselves at the sight of their Opie/Richie being so salty.

Edited by Khan