The Politics Thread

• Members

No, the solution is to shame them and everyone who employs him until he is run off the air and out of public life.

Stopping watching cable news today only gives these people cover for baby concentration camps. And yeah, that's exactly what those are. The only reason this is getting such coverage is because mainstream media, warts and all, and good reporters working for many different outlets are boots on the ground doing the work.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For every one who is no longer on the cable news grind (like Stephen Lord) another takes their place. 

I'm sure there are a few people in cable news who genuinely are upset (Rachel Maddow, for instance) but I think most of it is a game to them, just a posturing void. I don't think CNN and MSNBC have enough integrity to genuinely move the needle on topics like this. I think the anger, while it actually lasts, is a collective effort they have no choice but to go along with.

• Members

i give credit to Pramilla Jayapal first and then Jeff Merkley who were the first 2 that visited detention centers. I don’t watch much cable any,ore, so much of its rinse and repeat, but I think the reporting that was broken I think on Chris Hayes show which was the first view into a child detention center, was very well done. I don’t know who the reporter is, but he’s very compelling.  Being a new face or one I haven’t seen before probably helps.

and by the way what’s going on at Fox? I got interrupted by a phone call just before Don Lemon on CNN was running into a segment about some of Fox networks producers being outraged by the Fox News  coverage of the immigration crisis and threatening to boycott/walk.

• Members

The irony is Jeff Merkley was pilloried up and down back in 2008 for not being "liberal" enough compared to his primary opponent. Reminds you again of the danger of purity tests. 

Seth Macfarlane and the Modern Family producer have blasted Fox - the latter claiming he would never work for them again when Modern Family is done before backflipping faster than an entire gymnastics team. I think Paul Feig said something too. And Judd Apatow, but I automatically tune out anything he says.

https://news.avclub.com/modern-family-co-creator-cuts-ties-with-fox-over-fox-ne-1826962485

• Members

Yes.  My god.  At this moment we need this story out there and amplified. We need to be shown how these children are living.  I don't care if the people doing that aren't perfect or have made mistakes in the past.  We are in the middle of crossing the Rubicon here and if we don't turn 45 and his thugs back right now we are lost.

I don't care if immigration wasn't at the forefront of someone's mind before Trump started his no tolerance bullshit. We need everyone who is willing to turn up the pressure, donate, call and march to do so right now. 

• Members

For me it's less about not being perfect or not having this at the forefront of their minds and more the active role cable news played in the worst of where we are now. MSNBC and CNN gave Trump a full-court press and in some cases played his rallies in full when he was talking about immigrants being drug dealers, rapists, and killers. They didn't have any real issue, as they profited from what he was saying. I don't trust them to not flip again when it suits them.