The Politics Thread

• Members

Looks like the certification of the VA delegates race today magically found a vote to help the Republican, which means they are now tied, and will have to flip a coin.

Republicans always win, any way they can. How very convenient.

Anyway, this is a pretty good article:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/19/16786006/looting-of-america

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The U.S. media really is pretty weak in regard to their convictions.

Wall Street Journal Killed Editorial on Trump’s Mob Ties

Which is why I've always been a firm believer in reading papers from other countries to fill in the gaps. At least there is this article from the summer

Donald Trump, the deals and the mafia dons

...and this from last year, although Vice can sometimes disappoint.

A Brief History of Donald Trump and the Mafia

It still confounds me that anyone could think that a man like Trump could be in the real estate business in NYC since the late 60s and not have mob connections. 

The construction business in NYC was crawling with crime families until at least the late 80s and construction and real estate in NYC are like hand in glove.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I guess that's why Rubio has been fake outraged at the taxation changes and impact to Puerto Rico treating them as a foreign gvmt along with the fact that his joke of a compromise on child tax credits apparently none of it applies to folks in Puerto Rico. Many of them are settling in Florida

I also don't think people realize just how much the student loan rollbacks and especially Net Neutrality decision is impacting how millennials see things. 

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

^ I guess that could be the case with Rubio. Keeping his options open. Ana tweeted about him too and thought now that he's a fading star of the GOP he might want to go to the private sector.  If you follow her, sorry for repeating.

On that note it's really annoying that these people can screw everything up and then go make wads of cash lobbying and such.

• Members

Let's hope this means better pizza!  

You know what?  If Steve Bannon were to run for President, then I would as well.  Because even I wouldn't be as bad for this country as Steve [!@#$%^&*] Bannon.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This frightens me so much, mostly because of what would likely be done to the kids:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/us/trump-immigrant-families-separate.html

I understand that immigration is a serious issue and you can't just let people in, but working this hard to basically tell vulnerable people that they should just go home and die - it sets such an awful precedent for us and for what is to come. It goes against what this country is supposed to be.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

In the largest sense I agree, but at this moment in history we could take some of these children and their parents.  It's pretty awful that we are in the midst of a terrible refugee crisis just when we have a greying society, but we are led by people too racist/stupid to see the opportunity. 

I guess immigration is just one more area where Trump has made me move further left. Also, I agree nothing good will come from separating these little ones from their mothers. It's inhumane.

Ohio passes a bill that makes aborting a fetus with genetic abnormalities illegal. Just when I start to think Kasich isn't a wingnut.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/366201-kasich-signs-law-banning-abortions-over-down-syndrome-diagnosis