The Politics Thread

• Members

Probably since West and Smiley had a modicum of success attacking Obama (because, politician, I guess) so they figured they'd try it once more.

Smiley is out of it at this point because he's been unmasked.

I could never understand how West and Smiley were able to get away with accusing Obama of being corporatized when Smiley was backed by Wells Fargo and Walmart! And I know of at least one story of West's greed that hits very close to home.

In the Predator's Thread last week, I mentioned the fact that Walmart (America's superstore) has said zilch about the Smiley allegations.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I read some of the Guardian comments for the article and so many of them just seemed to go on at length about how terrible Obama was and belittling his supporters. Even now many on the left seem much more energized talking about how awful Obama (or Hillary) was than talking about Trump. 

• Members

It'll be interesting to see where everyone stands. I truly have no idea. If I had to guess I'd say all the republicans and some of the democrats will vote against net neutrality, but I hope I'm wrong. I guess at this point I think all of the Republicans are bought out bastards and there are probably a few dems right there with them.

Like you I don't assume we will survive this.  We'll see if we get a relatively free and fair election in 2018. If so, there's hope.

• Members

Even though none of these states voted Republican in the last several presidential elections, there are conservative pockets within those states. 

For instance, in NY, Rep. Peter King, a Republican is in the L.I./Westchester area, a Conservative pocket surrounded by a liberal NYC area.  King has been known to be mostly in lock-step with Trump/GOP.  He did seem to beg that the mortgage cap not be lowered in this taxscam bill but it would seem that he's willing to go along with voting for it anyway, despite that fact that his constituents will likely lose the most of any homeowner in the country as they are predicted to be the hardest hit.

New Jersey also has some conservative pockets and there is a severe disconnect there as the predicted hardest hit area is calculated to be Newark, NJ which is an inner-city and has a large population of black and minority homeowners, many of whom also happen to be low-income homeowners.

Also, just flat out greed and corruption as some of these Congressman look to personally benefit, regardless of how their constituents fare.

Speaking of greed and corruption,

Another day, another lawsuit for Trump Inc.  

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump Face New Lawsuit Over Financial Disclosures: Report

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I can't be surprised. She always stunk of grifter-dom - likely the reason she didn't do nearly as well as she should have in an election with two very unpopular candidates. 

I was disgusted with her recount and with how many people were dumb enough to pay up.

• Members

Connecticut has announced that it will shut down the state's Child Healthcare Insurance Program by the end of January, unless Congress renews funding for the program.

Apparently, CT (along with some other states) has been using leftover federal funds since September 30 of this year due to the program's funding not having been renewed.

I've read that, in some states, hospitals and clinics have already started "prioritizing" treatment for children due to costs.

Children's health is not a priority for Congress but tax cuts for the wealthy is?

Is this the type of country that Trump supporters want to live in?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think they are fine with most of these children dying - they see them as lessers who are never going to amount to anything anyway. I have a feeling some of the more deluded members of Congress also think most of them aren't white. 

Most of the people who will suffer won't blame Republicans anyway, so it's a win-win for the Ayn Rand and holy roller combo.

This will jack up medical costs even higher for the country as a whole, but this just gives them another opportunity to destroy health care and the social safety net even more and to kill even more people. Another win for them.

That was the bad joke of so many people falling for the idea that Obama couldn't wait to "kill Grandma" - it's the GOP who very proudly kill people, year in and year out. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yes.  There is an ugly, spiteful streak among his core supporters.  Anyone who has stuck with him this far is beyond hope when it comes to feeling compassion for anyone else.

These horrible people want to leave Grandma homeless while the Grandbabies die.  Like someone up thread said, I truly hate them all.

• Members

If millennials ever get off their asses, the GOP could be beat into oblivion. Not that I think they are straight democrats, but socially they do lean that way while fiscally many of them seem to be more libertarian. But anyone who wants their votes better he’ll not vote against Net Neutrality. I do hope they are paying attention to see how the GOP is selling out their future for millionaires. Trump was squalling about infrastructure after the train crash, which was a new train and line, but just approved a budget to defund Amtrak again and will gut gvmt funding so are we again going to sell out country to repair our crumbling infrastructure?

Onanother topic in that recount in the Va House of Delegates the democrat just won by 1 vote which gives the House a 50-50 tie. So when folks tell u their vote doesn’t matter, point to this race which won a seat but also evened out the entire House of Delegatea. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/democrat-wins-va-house-seat-in-recount-by-single-vote-creating-50-50-tie-in-legislature/2017/12/19/3ff227ae-e43e-11e7-ab50-621fe0588340_story.html?utm_term=.1d3be6be3032