The Politics Thread

• Members

This always leaves me with uneasy feelings - I read an article a few months ago about some country where they now only have a handful of people with Down's because of selective abortions and genetic testings. I worry this opens the door to more and more of abortions based on other matters, like if they think their child might be gay. But it's not fair for the state to put this on the woman - not only does she not have a say in her own body (and this will also increase back-alley abortions), but is the state going to do anything to help her with the great expense of raising a child with Down's? Or the emotional support? How can you do something like this when you're cutting funding left and right? Has Ohio even expanded Medicaid?

I agree, although after the mess that Canada and Germany (especially Germany) made of their open borders policy, I wonder if it's ever going to go according to plan. 

This is one of those cases where that magical, mysterious unicorn known as a moderate Republican would actually help on immigration, as they could thread the needle in a way a Democrat can't, but that won't happen. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree it's an uncomfortable topic, but it has to be the woman's choice and we deserve all of the screening info available.  Down's can come with very serious heart complications.  It's crazy to force someone to bring a special needs child (or any child) into the world when they aren't up to the task.

I do thing the rates of abortion in these cases would go down with generous social programs designed to help. That's true with abortion overall.  The Republicans seem pretty determined not to see that connection though.

On a similar note I'm enraged that the Trump administration tried to force a teen refugee that was raped to carry to term.  They have her in a detention center and yet they want to force her to bring a newborn into those conditions.

• Members

That's one of the many (and I DO mean many) delusions that Trump's most fervent, and fervently religious, supporters have held against the rest of the country.  They truly believe that there was a time in recent memory when saying "Merry Christmas" (instead of "Happy Holidays") was officially banned within the United States; and, as always, they believe Obama and Hillary were the ones doing the banning.

Ironically, I think the only ones who ever banned people from saying "Merry Christmas" in THIS country were the Puritans.  But I could be wrong.

• Members

The Trump administration truly seems to be afraid of, and despises science, research, technology and learning, in general.

Government scientists blocked from the biggest meeting in their field

Speaking of scientists, many at the EPA are now leaving in droves

E.P.A. Officials, Disheartened by Agency’s Direction, Are Leaving in Droves

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

And when Obama heard Spicer's statement, he merely rolled his eyes and said, "Honky, please."

But seriously.  Seannie's thirst for more time in the spotlight is real, and real tired.  I'm LONG past the point of having any interest in whatever he has to say.

• Members

When Trump supporters whine that we who didn't vote for him don't respect him, that NYT article should be a go to article for them to look at (because you know most don't read).

What I'd like to hear from Trumpists (and those masquerading as impartial parties asking why "we" don't afford Trump the respect that the office should afford), is what has he said or done that prompts such respect?  Any semblance of respect at all?  When faced with this question, all Trumpists respond with is platitudes that have no basis in evidence (we know how much fact-based or evidence-based is hated by Trump Inc. and its ilk).

For me, he deserves nothing from me. Perhaps contempt.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

^ Is it really possible that people would be kicked off SSI so quickly after the tax bill? That doesn't quite pass the smell test since 45 only signed it into law yesterday.

Also the things he said about immigrants is nothing but further proof he is not morally fit to lead us.  A reporter on CNN challenged the reporter who wrote the piece asking why we should believe it, when the WH denies it? It's basically a he said/ he said piece. Honestly though, how do you give this guy the benefit of the doubt when the words ring so true? It seems exactly like the kind of thing he would say.