Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The response to this from the NYT and the guy who wrote it is pretty typical of the media at large. It's all about them, and their "process," and how special and wonderful they are, and their struggles. You can just feel the pseudo-intellectual posturing and imagine them thinking about all the awards they're going to win for being in touch with "the heartland."

It doesn't matter how much happens, how far down the hill we careen - the media never, ever changes. It's still glued to its own navel. It knows no other way to live.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/insider/white-nationalist-interview-questions.html

"There is a hole at the heart of my story," he wrote. "Sometimes a soul, and its shape, remain obscure to both writer and reader. I beat myself up about all of this for a while, until I decided that the unfilled hole would have to serve as both feature and defect."

• Members

The worst part of that story (for me) was the picture of the kid. Raising a child in this Nazi bullshit should be considered child abuse. Also, the NYT rebuttal to all the criticism they got over this story was weak.  I think they know they dropped the ball, but these kinds of stories get them clicks.

• Members

So the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has been investigating Santander Bank and now that Cordray has stepped down and named his replacement (in accordance with Dodd-Frank) and Trump has tried to install his own replacement (for which the Trump administration is facing a lawsuit) Mick Mulvaney.

Suddenly we discover that Mulvaney (Trump's pick) not only wants to dismantle the CFPB but is connected to a lobbyist for Santander Bank (the subject of the CFPB investigation).

Boy this administration is ALL about Conflicts of Interest!

Trump Conflict Of Interest: CFPB Pick Mulvaney Linked To Lobbyist For Bank Facing Possible CFPB Sanctions

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Susan S. said HRC was more dangerous than Trump, and there really wasn't a 'lesser of two evils'. she is now a child whose mad her favorite toy Bernie didn't get elected. that and her career is now in the toilet because some comments now call her bat crap crazy. 

• Members

Her career seems to be about the same as usual. I think she's fortunate that she's aging so well (with a little help, presumably) and has a lot of charisma and that a lot of people seem to have grown to expect crazy talk from her. 

I'm a bit wary of the "EU army" being put in there as a positive thing or something new as that's been in the works for a good while and many are nervous about it (I think it was one of the main weapons used as a cudgel in the Brexit vote).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I've always loved Susan Sarandon as an actress and used to really admire her as a person (and her ping pong bar in downtown Manhattan is great). But now I think she's just a delusional baby boomer hippie who's too proud and privileged to allow herself to admit she's wrong. It's sad and infuriating.

There was a Santander Bank a few blocks from me in Brooklyn. I always thought it was shady. I don't think I ever even used their ATMs.

Edited by Vee

• Members

"Trump's War on African Women"

https://longreads.com/2017/10/16/donald-trumps-war-on-african-women/

I remember we talked about this happening and hoped some other country or private charity would help.  Still hoping that will happen, but it's sad that so many women and families are suffering under these counter productive policies.