The Politics Thread

• Members

While most people are focused almost exclusively on Russia, China has an agenda of its own to set its dominance among many of the world's countries.

Xi Jinping Pushes China’s Rise Despite Friction and Fear

In many ways, China has been far more effective than Russia in cultivating influence other countries (see Greece) because unlike Russia (which slips in and out of recession), China actually has the money that many poorer countries need to develop things like infrastructure and investment.

Yet even with China, there is a limit to what other countries will accept and many of their neighbors in Asia/Asia-Pacific are still wary of China based on the history.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it's more complicated than that.

Syria and Russia collaborate on mutual issues, the way that the U.S. and Saudi Arabia or even the U.S. and Russia, the U.S. and China have historically collaborated on issues of mutual concern.

China collaborates and defies the U.S. daily when it suits them. And China has shown equal cooperation and frustration with North Korea on matters of trade, borders and diplomacy.

Even rivals and enemies who vehemently have times when they have collaborated over common cause.

Trump may be Russia's 'useful idiot' but they've caused as many complications (the Chinese detest instability, and Trump provides plenty of this) as opportunities (he's made them look more progressive on issues like climate change).

• Members

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/22/opinion/americas-forever-wars.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=region&region=region&WT.nav=region

A piece by the NYT editorial board pretending that they really question any of the wars this country has participated in in the last 30 years. I can appreciate it if it was independent, but by a paper that has helped propagandize these wars for the US government, I cannot take seriously

Her poise and composure are amazing. And you could see her sparkle when she spoke of her husband.

It's disturbing that the military would not allow her to view his body and have only provided scattered details on the incident and still no explanation as to why he was left behind for 2 days.

I read a rumor(so take with a grain of salt) that he was left behind because those dispatched to pick up the berets were given faulty information. There is also a rumor that he was captured by militants and beheaded and his body left behind which is why they would not allow her to view his body. Again this is all rumor. But after so many made up stories by the military where families were lied to about what happened(Pat Tillman is the one that comes closest to mind) there is definitely something off here.

Couple this with the fact that not one person on the Senate Armed Services committee even knew we had a presence in Niger? I vaguely recall reading something about a year ago on this, but our troops that were there were supposed to be conducting training at least that's what I recall.

Someone again tell me how comfortable we should be when the sane people in this administration are 2 generals and an admiral, and I am no longer confident Kelly is close to sane.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

@JaneAusten well if he was dismembered in any form, the wife still seemed adamant to see his body. She did ponder if his body was even in the coffin at all. She raised suspicions for me too. Had I been her, I would've snatched that coffin open to ensure my spouse was in there with no ifs, ands, or buts. 

I hope Myeshia Johnson continues to hound the Trump administration going forward about what happened in Niger. 

• Members

This is an older article but it details exactly what's involved in tending to the bodies of the fallen. They take it as a sacred duty and frankly I'm ashamed that I didn't know the kind of care these families need and get.

"In some cases, when injuries are too extensive, no reconstruction is attempted. Instead, the remains are wrapped in absorbent gauze and sealed in plastic; they are then tucked inside crisp white sheets, closed with safety pins, one inch off the crease, the head of every pin facing the same direction; a green blanket is wrapped around the entire cocoon, and a full uniform is pinned on top."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a6683/dover-air-force-base-funeral-process-102909/

The sad, horrible truth is that Sgt. Johnson's body was probably unrecognizable. He'd been dead in the humid heat for Lord only knows how long and that sight would've been her last memory of him. 

• Members

That's the M.O. in Russia. Historically, that is how they deal with anyone liable to expose them.

Almost a decade ago, a reporter by the name of Anna Politkovskaya exposed what was happening in Chechnya in terms of Russia's version of its "War on Terrorism".  She was murdered.

Any journalist that exposed corruption in Russia generally wound up murdered.

Remember Alexander Litvinenko the former FSB who died of Polonium Poisoning over a decade ago? He was murdered after writing exposés on the deadly apartment bombing in Russia and also named Putin as ordering Politkovskaya's murder.

This is not unique to the dossier or collusion case. This is sadly,  M.O. in how they handle any entity that opposes them and has the data/evidence to back it up.

I don't see evidence of China, Syria or even North Korea being in on this.  There are citizens in China, Syria and North Korea who are murdered for knowing too much, without question but those are likely to be their domestic issues.

I doubt any of those nations, even the most rogue of the lot would allow another country to hold that many cards.  They'd have way too much to lose if Russia turned around and implicated them.

• Members

As we speak, they're rummaging around the Internet, looking for something with which to discredit her.

Sooner or later, one of those two chuckleheads will say, "Yo' mamma!"; and that's when it'll get ugly.

Edited by Khan