Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is what was used to praise/defend W throughout his Presidency. Oh he cares deep down. I remember the "liberal" media parroting this over and over during the 2004 elections when Rove revved up the religious right to make sure they mobilized for hate and fear. 

He did care more than Trump, and he certainly wouldn't be out there insulting the mayor of San Juan, but ultimately what did that "caring" do for people in New Orleans? Not a hell of a lot. 

This just reminds us yet again how little a Republican needs to do to get a wet kiss from the media. We should never forget that, because it's why the next Republican after Trump is going to be feted like a god walking the earth. 

• Members

It's already happening. All the sucking up to the likes of John Kasich. While I respect his pushback on the repeal of Obamacare, his state has helped institute policies that have contributed to the degradation of the middle class(he was a TPP supporter lest anyone forget) and have gone hog-wild on their own voter suppression tactics targeting minorities. Like Bush he comes across caring but he's also smarter than Bush or Trump and could do a heck of a lot more damage.

• Members

Overall, I agree with you, but I think people can't help comparing Bush and Trump and noting that Trump is actively working against the victims. So while maybe Bush caring didn't help much, Trump having not one single f*ck to give is hurting.  To actually attack the mayor and say "they want everything done for them".  Nothing should be surprising at this point, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. None of that makes Bush or his response to Katrina excusable, but anyone who thought it couldn't get worse than that is being schooled by Trump as we speak.

• Members

IA with BOTH of these statements.

Yes, Dubya's administration's response to the damage inflicted upon New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina was slow and embarrassing.  No one should ever let him or his cronies off the hook for not understanding the damage's extent.  However, I believe that when he WAS made aware of the situation -- which is to say, when his inner circle chose to let him in on what was going on -- he did what he could to alleviate the problem; and he did so because the rest of America, and the rest of the world, was looking to him to lead.  AFAIK, he didn't accuse the people of New Orleans of being lazy m.f.'s who were looking for handouts; and he didn't use the crisis to, uh, trump his own meager accomplishments (although I do remember at least one pundit on TV hilariously trying to connect Katrina with 9/11 and bin Laden).

If anything, I think Barbara Bush (the mother, not the daughter) was being the thoughtless and racially divisive one in '05.  I can't recall EXACTLY what she said about Katrina refugees -- something about how camping out at the Superdome must've been like paradise compared to their living conditions before the hurricane struck? -- but I remember thinking that, at best, her words displayed a tone-deaf attitude toward the lower classes and toward natural disaster victims.  IMO, Barbara's remarks were as embarrassing as her son's lack of awareness of Katrina's damage as Air Force One flew over New Orleans, if not more so.

Of course, thanks to Trump, even her words probably don't seem as callous in retrospect.

Meanwhile, where's Melania in all this?  Don't tell me the First Lady is still handing out library books, because I've worked at a public library and lemme tell you, it don't take that long.

Say what you want about Michelle Obama -- call her a gorilla, accuse her of being a tranny and a Target ho -- but if this [!@#$%^&*] were happening under Barack's watch, Michelle would have her ass down there in Puerto Rico, driving those kids to school and packing them healthy lunches, too.  She wouldn't be back here, sending school librarians bunches of Dr. Seuss books they have already.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I can see why people compare, but I think it's a bit tacky for people to use this tragedy to tweet about how great W was in comparison, especially when it's a journalist, someone I thought would know better than to go in for such pointless sentimentality. W isn't in office anymore and his legacy on Katrina doesn't really improve just because he isn't Trump. 

• Members

!!!!!!!!!!

I know so many people who spent the past 8 years saying Obama didn't do anything for this group or that group, who have now been complaining for the past 8 MONTHS about Trump taking everything Obama did away. I just have to take a deep breath and tell them to miss me with the bullsh-t.

• Members

I guess that's what Mama Khan meant when she said, "Sometimes, you get the leader you deserve."  So many of us complained so much and for so long about Obama.  Maybe God had to allow Trump to happen to show how good we REALLY had it.  Again, though, it's just so unfortunate that too many others have to suffer in order for the knuckleheads to get the message.

Paul Ryan: "Trump's heart is in the right place on race"

Sophia Petrillo: "Your heart's in the right place...but I don't know where the hell your brain is!"

Edited by Khan

• Members

The Political Land Mine in the Republican Tax Plan

Looks like there could be a possibility of more infighting in the GOP.

"GOP lawmakers from blue states are protesting the elimination of a popular deduction that could force many middle-class families to pay more—and sink President Trump’s bill in the House."

• Members

Yes please.  Meanwhile I find this even more horrifying. An executive order to review low income assistance programs. It's a precursor to "sweeping welfare reform". I'm an atheist since about the age of 13, but I'm thinking of taking up prayer again.  These people will stop at nothing to take from the poor. Jesus take the wheel.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/02/trump-white-house-welfare-low-income-executive-order-243376

P.S. Also, thank you Jesus for ambien.

Edited by Juliajms