The Politics Thread

• Members

The more I read people talk about Mueller the more I flash back to the 2016 fantasies about how this or that was sure to drive Trump out of the race. 

Between Trump going on about the "storm" that's coming, and North Korea's plans to soon test a missile that can reach the US, I think we're going to have much bigger problems long before Mueller does anything.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I'm with DD, Vee and Wendy.  Nullifying the election sounds nice, but it'd also be too much to hope for.

NK's plans DO sound unsettling.  However, Trump's been known to talk big without really following through.  Ergo, if NK goes through with their plans, then the U.S. will be one big-ass sitting duck.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'm still amazed at just how few plans are in place for any actual government sans the President. People are just completely powerless and incompetent to do anything because he can't. I used to, years ago, assume that there was some system in Washington that continued on regardless of who is in the Oval Office, but it seems like everything truly is paralyzed now and nothing is being done as a balance to him even when we're clearly going to suffer huge long-term consequences (whether in being attacked or being cut off from the rest of the world economically and in foreign policy, etc.). I don't understand how such a huge and powerful country seems to be such a shambles.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

This was a really great yet unsettling read. I had no idea so many Brits were involved in this mess. I thought it was just Milo. I know it really didn't fit in the piece but I wish they'd touched more on how gamergate played a big part in both making him famous and setting some of the alt-right in motion.

I do have to ask though- who exactly are the Mercers? The others I know about the other main people but this is the first time I've heard of the Mercers.

• Members

Some things would be moving forward if the Republicans weren't so tribal.  Thank god they can't agree on things like healthcare.  Also, it's not like the president is simply neutral or a non factor. He's actively disrupting Washington by failing to make a ton of appointments.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/denmark-to-join-european-nations-in-outlawing-burqas-niqabs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This seems sad to me. What will these women do just stay inside all the time?

• Members

Also, the Trump administration has hired about 1/2 the people for government positions that the previous two administrations have hired.

Not to mention that the most experienced bureaucrats are choosing early retirement and flat out leaving, rather than stay undo decades of work.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Any Republicans who do have an interest in basic governance vs. tribalism are still cowed on some level - either by their mega-donors or election concerns. Look at their latest repeal failure; many of them knew it was pointless but it only went ahead because of direct threats from people like Adelson or the Kochs.

Until some of them stand up for the right thing, none of this will change without either criminal indictment, resignation or a midterm election. And I'm not holding my breath on any of them standing up.