The Politics Thread

• Members

Which is why I believe the next non-Caucasian president -- and yes, there WILL be another non-Caucasian president someday -- will be as exalted (even more than Obama) as Washington, Lincoln and Kennedy.

Remember, Martin Luther King, Jr. didn't live long enough to see us reach the "promised land" that was the passage of the Civil Rights acts, but he DID get us most of the way.  That's how I've always felt about Obama.  

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In the meantime, many people will suffer.

One example-

Just weeks after the Trump administration struck down an Obama-era regulation that had given nursing home patients the right to sue in cases of abuse, another patient has died from that Florida nursing home disaster in the days following Hurricane Irma (the one where many patients died of heatstroke and heat related illnesses after being left in the heat without AC).

Obama rules would have allowed surviving patients and families of the deceased to sue. Now under Trump, not so much.

Very sad.

• Members

I hope the next to go is Pruitt. He's obviously a lunatic and he's in a position to poison our air and water.

Off topic: I just realized that I'm not seeing posts from this thread showing up in the "recent posts" side bar anymore. Nor posts from the Music & Movies thread. It looks like only the DTS forum shows up now. I'm grateful for that. It keep the trolls away from this thread and reduces the possibility of being accidentally spoiled just by visiting the home page.

• Members

That's the truth. I do believe things will be better someday, but a lot of people are going to pay the price over the next four years (minimum).  It's horrific to see all the areas that Trump and his ilk are doing the worst thing possible.

I saw that someone leaked Trump had no plan at all to help Puerto Rico until he saw public sentiment was building against him.

• Members

Seriously the incompetence in this administration is astounding and is now physically hurting people. but their stupidity, incompetence is frankly sociopathic. The acting Head of Homeland Security is running around telling people this is a good news story, the advisor to HS Bossert is saying that putting a 3 star general in Puerto Rico right after the hurricane hit would have been a waste. And FEMA is telling people that they have to register for aide using the internet or a phone, neither of which is usable there. Water and food were there but sitting on barges waiting to be trucked out but no truck drivers, no one to organize the effort or clear the roads to get to people, and Trump is running around talking about how much debt they have.

Now it's likely there will be a cholera breakout due to lack of clean water for over 9 days. The one time I will give the media credit. They have been on point on this since the hurricane hit and I fear had they not been making this front and center for all Americans to see and hear about, how much more this crisis would have been sidelined.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

^ I wish to god Canada or Germany (or anyone) had sent aid boats to Puerto Rico right after the storm just to make it even clearer what an incompetent liar we have in office.  Seeing their mayor do that interview with a shirt that Read "help us we are dying" should make us all ashamed on some level. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I'm stunned! How can he be so completely clueless?  

Please register in order to view this content

On another note, right at this very moment there's complete chaos in Gothenburg here in Sweden. The nazi march taking place today has, as expected, deteriorated into violence. Police reinforcements have been called in from all over the country, and the Norwegian border police have been alerted as well. The nazis number around 500, but according to sources more than 10000 people have gathered to protest against them.

• Members

I'm sorry the march has deteriorated into violence, but I'm glad to know so many came out to protest against the Nazis.

This morning, Mama Khan talked about how, in the Bible, the Israelites cried out to God for a king, so God delivered them Saul.  Her point?  Sometimes, you get the leaders you deserve.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ok I m frankly tired iod people holding up George Bush s some paragon of virtue. I admit to my own guilt in some capacity but its time we stop pretending that the delay in New Orlleans was not tied to the same reason's there is a delay in Puerto Rico.  Bush's administration is some ways was the more competent version of Trump and they actually got a major attack on our soil to use as leverage for much of their awfulness.