OLTL Todd/Marty II: Exactly Why Soaps Are Dying!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's a cop out. Some may be way too sensitive, but with a storyline like this, I don't think something like that matters, it's a HUGE slap in the face to Marty, her history, and Todd is beyond redemption.

Ish like this is why soaps are dying. Why do these writers NOT learn, why do they keep making the same mistakes over and over(this goes for ALL soaps)

• Members

I agree that stories like these are what kill soaps. I'm not sure OLTL can come back from this. I have no clue how the character of Todd could. In a year with Ron Carlivati we have seen both the best promise for the future of daytime, and a glimpse at the nadir. I can only pray the former wins out now that this has been done. It can never be erased, from my mind or his reputation, but it can be mitigated over time by solid work. I'm really disgusted, though. Just sick about it. I haven't a clue how the same HW who wrote the wonderful love stories for Viki and Charlie and Jared and Natalie, the spellbinding Buchanan corporate intrigue with Dorian and Nash's death, the surprisingly fresh reunion for Todd and Blair and the loving family episodes during last year's holiday season could write something like this.

My only silver linings right now are spoilers indicating that

• Members

Marty has amnesia though, so how does this destroy the character's history exactly? The fact that the audience is so repulsed by this story actually ties into Marty's history, because we saw just how horrific that gang rape was. No one is sugar coating anything here. Stories that destroy soaps are Victor Lord coming back from the dead. Or, Erica's unabortion. This doesn't even come close to that. If anything at all, this story is ruining the character of Todd Manning. My main gripe with OLTL is not that the stories stink per se... it's more the horrible acting, sub-par production, and mediocre scripts that makes this show crumble.

• Members

I generally think that for the most part, the acting, scripts and production are (usually) quite good. But this storyline has become truly atrocious and has dragged many of those elements into the gutter along with the overall premise.

Archived