Soap Opera Digest Best & Worst 94

• Members

Nice to see Bo and Nora's dancing remembered. I have to say '94 doesn't stand out compared to some of Malone/Griffith's other early years near the start of his career we had Megan's death, then in '92 Billy Douglas and the AIDS quilt, in '93 Marty's Rape, in '95 the Vicki DID thing)--I personally found the Powell is the new rapist storyline in surprisingly poor taste coming from Malone--I dunno why, maybe it was cuz I had a crush on the actor playing Powell or some other dumb reason--but it just seemed forced, and unlike Malone's usual careful dealing of issues to have the one sorta "nice guy" of the original gang rape who was always remorseful for what he did turn into a serial rapist...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you have the write up for GH's Best Show mention, Paul Raven? I loved GH back then and this was around the time I started watching. :)

Also, if you have these lists from 92 and 93 please post them soon. :)

The early to mid 90's were such a great time, and I'd argue it was the last golden age of the American daytime soap opera.

• Members

GH Best Show

This was a banner year for GH. As evidenced by the lively quadrangle Lois/Eddie/Ned/Katherine and the always entertaining Lucy Coe,GH spent the year telling stories.

What set GH apart in 94 was its seamless storyline arcs. While we were sobbing our eyes out over BJ's death,Monica woke up and felt a lump in her breast. At the height of Monica's battle against breast cancer,Felicia and Tony set out to find Frisco. While they were gone,Luke's beloved Laura came home,and viewers were treated to their 13th year wedding anniversary(on the rught date,no less).Soon after,the action heated up in Puerto Rico:Brenda was kidnapped,and a high-speed chase ensued.

See what we mean?There is no down time on this show. And woven into all this action is top-notch humor. Here's Ned crying the blues to Lila:"The love of my life is intent on separating me from any one of my appendages". And when an incredulous Sean asked Alan how he could be involved in so many murder investigations,alan shrugged,"It's a talent".

GH also struck paydirt this year with the pairing of Sonny and Brenda. Alternately sexy,insecure,funny and pognant,this couple is one of the best-written on daytime. they don't need an outside force to tear them apart-they are their own worst enemies. Isn't that a refreshing way to create tension within a relationship? Sounds a lot like like real life...

And that's the point. We can't wait to see what this talented team has planned in 95.

• Members

Most entertaining Character Lucy Coe

We used to love to hate her,but now we just love to love her.Since 1986,Lucy Coe has been one of the funniest,most original chracters on daytime. and never more so than today.

Her offbeat friendship with Brenda has shown us an almost motherly side of Lucy,while her vengeful side was front and center during the battle with Katherine for Deception.

But the best has been Lucy's sparring with Kevin."I love a man who can be had for the price of a rare filet",she cooed."You think I'm easy?Don't you wish,"Kevin retorted.

All we wishfor is the unending opportunity to just love Lucy.

Best Blind Person Hope Newman Y&R

To the Y&R head honchos who decided not to restore Hope' eyesight:We owe you one.Signy Coleman's Hope is,quite simply,the best blind character that daytime has ever featured.

Because Hope has been blind all her life,she is nothing like the self sacrificing soa heroines who lose their eyesight in dramatic plot twists,only to regain it four months later.Hope is capable,confident and like most real life blind people,she leads a fulfilling,positive life.

Sure,Hope uses a walking stick and dials the phone slowly,and yes,Nikki sometimes takes advantage and spies on her.But Hope is a blind character who neither seeks or arouses sympathy,and that is a soap first.

Best Break Up John & Jilll Y&R

Watching the marriage of John and Jill crash and burn is a little like being a rubbernecker at a roadside accident:It's ugly but you just can't keep yourself from looking.

This is one match that was doomed from the start.When John developed temporary impotence and distanced himself from his younger wife,we knew it wouldn't be long before oversexed Jill went on a manhunt.You could argue that John should have learnt his lesson the first time he was married to her;a leopard like Jill doesn't change her spots.Still,the Abbott patriach truly loved his wife.

And now that the dueling Abbotts are embroiled in a divorce and custody battle,the mansion has become a battleground.Jill's back is up against the wall,John is suddenly Father of the Year,and legal eagle John Silva is caught trying to keep his dignity(and law license) while representing Hurricane Jill.

"If you paint me as the town tramp,I will tell everyone that it was your inability to perform in the bedroom that sent me into Jed Sander's arms",Jill spat to her soon-to-be ex. Ouch! When Jill and John are bad they're better.

• Members

Some other stuff from that issue

1994 Status Chart

BIRTHS

AMC - Danielle Reed

AW - Charlotte Frame

Kirkland Harrison

ATWT - Alison McDermott

GH - Serena Baldwin

Lesley Lu Spencer

MARRIAGES

AMC - Mimi & Derek