Y&R: Week of October 06, 2008

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R didn't shoot to #1, GH fell to #2... Y&R hit a ratings stride though in the mid 80s due to Nikki/Victor/Jack and the entrance of the teens: Phillip, Cricket and their link to Danny...

Y&R had always been consistent creative and ratingswise. They went to number 1 with timeless stories which resembled their time. Rebecca and the HIV story (which was part of the Cricket hour) was considered riveting and shocking back then and aired just around the time when Y&R claimed sole #1 status I think... OH and there was nekkid Brad when he was kept in a cage. ;):lol:

BTW, true fans love their Bell nepotims. And religious preachiness et al. :)

• Members

Today was a very enjoyable episode. Jack and Billy really do look so much alike and I love the way that they work together.

I liked the selection of music throughout the episode. Some nice pieces there but I'm still disappointed at how it's being used. Music on Y&R used to be a character by itself. It was as artfully done as the rest of the show. It was obvious that people spend time figuring out how to make the music fit, they would combine pieces, it was all so excellent. We need to go back to that.

Phyllis seems to have finally woken up. Traces of her old self start showing slowly and I am loving it.

I like how this whole Jabot takeover is being handled. It may not be as brilliant as the worst classic Y&R, but they have devoted their time and efforts into building this storyline and it has been going on for months. So I really appreciate the effort to do a long business arc, and it's at least being done much better than anything else on soaps today. Gloria now has a purpose, it involves a big amount of characters, and you can just feel that sh*t is about to hit the fan.

Also, Nick and Sharon as parents is just amazing stuff. They play it so well and the writers are really good at it. I am loving how Noah is grounded, and how he wants to keep the change but Sharon won't let him--that's a good dose of realism. The chemistry between Nick and Sharon is off the charts. I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but they do have something special. I loved Sharon's fight with Jack.

And, poor Katherine. She's going to start feeling so bad about herself. I hope she kicks some serious ass when she realizes what they're doing to her. And Billy has put two and two together....

My only complaint is the frantic, crazy pace. So many things happen, people going in and out, it's really rather preposterous. They have to tone it down.

• Members

Today's show was pretty good and I am glad that Billy is catching on to Jack and GloHo's partnership and what kind of person GloHo is......I'm really hoping that eventually ALL of GloHo's misdeeds will be exposed......

Nice to have a NotLeen free day!

• Members

The show is definitely better produced these days, even in Rauch's second episode you can see the difference. A lot of classical underscoring is used, the camera shots are great, and all the actors appear to be very alert. The close-up of the exterior on the Abbott mansion before the first Jack and Billy scenes happened is so Rauch, he did that a lot on GL and OLTL.

• Members

The Kay storyline is somewhat hard to watch because I just HATE how she's being victimized. I HATE Gloria for doing this to her...thus I hope Katherine absolutely destroys her because what Gloria has done is totally evil. It's not just bad or naughty or wicked...it's evil. She has victimized a senior citizen, it makes my blood boil. I'm going to need a Botox shot to undo the tension between my eyebrows.

That said, I enjoy the Rauch touches...I think they're evident. Griffith really stopped giving a sh*t once he knew he was getting canned.

Archived