Y&R: Week of October 06, 2008

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get ready to really hate her when (this is a guess not a spoiler)

!

And i'm sorry - but as CI CEO shouldn't Jill have much more to do than focus solely on Jabot? i know that CI is a conglomaerate on the scale of NE and there certainly must be much more for her to do than to just butt in on Cane every day.

As for the folks who don't believe we need to know Phyllis's backstory or have her character further explored - I say why not? Because you don't have faith that the writers can tell the story? If you don't think they can tell it - I implore you to watch how Hogan Sheffer took the female characters (Katie, Barbara, Emily, Margo)on ATWT and made them deeper, more nuanced and vulnerable. He brought the charactrers back to the core of why we liked them in the first place and revitalized them and made them current and interesting again. Phyllis has been boring for far too long. And if you recall i pointed out that I don't want a standard "Phyllis's dad beat her and now she's mean" kind of thing. More of a character rebound that goes into the character's history on the show with Danny, Paul, and Christine. i don't think the show ever really dealt with how she went from being the vile despicable schemer to Mrs. Nick Newman and how she managed to keep her old demons in check.

• Members

The Gloria/Kay story is something fresh and very soapy like YRBB said. I'm loving it and have faith the current writing team will write it correctly. They don't seem to view Gloria as the "cute" scheming victim the other writing team saw her as. Even if we're stuck with Gloria long term, I do feel like she'll pay for whatever she does to Kay. We needed a break from the Jill/Kay stories (which are so poorly written anyway) so it's nice that both characters are involved in separate stories. Jill is focused on business and now her own children and Kay is a sexy harlot about town. Oh wait, I'm getting Kay and Phyllis mixed up! Those bangs really aged La Stafford. But this gives Jeanne Cooper a chance at some heavy emotional material (Alzheimer's is no joke!!) without them having to go through with such a drastic and permanent story choice. So you get the soapy goodness, some good comedy, medical issues and a great mystery down the road.

I'm glad that the show is finally getting past the poorly written (for the most part) Phick romance. The only disappointment is that they're being lazy and simply putting Nick and Sharon back together. Sharon Case has insane chemistry with Kristoff St. John and pairing the two could be the perfect spark those two characters need. It would also be a new story that would utilize the backstory of both characters while being fresh and creating new story. The writers could also put Neil with Victoria, but seem so set on keeping him with Karen, one of the most unsuccessful pairings of LML's run.

In general, I'd say that's my main problem with the current team. They could be a bit more creative and spontaneous. I thought making Chloe Kate was an example of them being creative and propelling new story. But I look at Nick/Sharon, Victor/Nikki, Neil/Karen and pretty much every other couple and feel they need to step outside the box. I don't want them to end up like Ron Carlivati and be too complacent and turn into a rerun show. Right now the show is good, but needs to be great.

Going back to Phick, I wonder what they could possibly do with Phyllis if Phick broke up? Many people have mentioned her with Brad, but I see them being boring and not having much chemistry.The next move for Brad needs to be a romance with Jill. Neil could be a powerful partner and controversial love interest. I've always thought the two had great chemistry as friends. I hope the writers aren't so boring as to pair her with Jack again.

• Members

Word. The bangs REALLY aged Stafford. I'm actually surprised how old she looks. She should cut her hair short like she had in the early 2000s...surprisingly it made her look fresh and young. The long hair drags down her face.

And yes, I know what Gloria and Kevin are doing is 'very soap'...but the problem is that I think it's absolutely evil. There is simply no way to justify it. If Jill had been the one to do this at least I could say to myself "Well Jill and Kay have had a lot of history and they've both been awful to each other"....but Kay has been nothing but decent to Kevin and Gloria. The simply fact is that, as far as I'm concerned, the only way to redeem Gloria after this is to have Kay kill her and then dismember her corpse and feed the remains to a pack of dogs. Perhaps it's because I'm very sensitive to seniors and their rights and their health...I just HATE to see Kay being taken like this.

The face cream I could sort of understand, it was a plan that went awry. Gloria didn't mean for what happened to happen...but in this case...she's premeditated all of it and has taken advantage of someone who is pretty much helpless and I just f--king hate it. It's evil. Gloria needs to go. Sorry Judith Chapman, you're a great actress but your character has been written into a corner that I don't ever want to see her come out of alive.

• Members

As somebody with bangs myself, gotta stand up for the bangs! However, I loved Phyllis's hair about four years ago, when she had it wavy and a deep, rich auburn colour. This faux-blonde ginger makes her look washed out. Ya. Definitely. Definitely.

OMG, GET RID OF THOSE ITCHY DAMN EXTENSIONS, SHARON! I swear, everytime I see her, my fingers ache for a pair of scissors.

Gloria is such a viper. I'd like Kevin to hot-rod her car and then watch her drive off a cliff when the brakes fail. Right after Kay has bitch-slapped her skunk-haired, evil ass out of Jabot. And I say this as somebody who likes Judith Chapman. Hopefully Billy is already on to her, but most likely we'll have the Baldwin Angels rounding on Billy and Jack and demonizing "those nasty Abbotts." Boohoo!

Seriously, when Gloria said that line to Billy about "wanting to be near my dead husband's things," can we be in any doubt as to what a gold-digging piece of crap this character is? She let her precious dead husband take the fall for her and he ended up dying in jail. All she cares about is his possessions and having them so that Jack and his family doesn't. When did she become so entitled?

Speaking of the Baldwins, did anybody see that scene Friday between Lily and Cawleen at Crimson Lights?

Lily: Oh, my gosh.

Colleen: Wot?

Lily: Nothing. Just one of those dumb pop-up ads. "Online dating--the right way."

Colleen: Let me see. "Find friendship, love and passion in that order. Build a solid foundation--" blah, blah, blah.

Lily: "Totally safe." How can they promise that? Look what happened to me and Kevin.

Colleen: Oh, come awn, you're wiser now. Would it kill you to look at the site?

Oh, ha ha! Two friends bonding over those pesky pop-up dating ads. Isn't that funny? Except that Kevin gave Lily a roaring case of chlamydia. And then locked Colleen in Gina's pantry before torching the restaurant. Hilarious! Did I mention they were hanging in Crimson Lights, drinking Kevin's over-priced lattes?

• Members

So simple. Just tear out those horse extensions. Then grab a pair of scissors and give her a blunt, sharp, chin-length bob. Which judging by the hair framing her face, is prob the length of her real hair.

Archived