Y&R: Week of October 06, 2008

• Members

I haven't heard them either, but they had a very 80s feel about them -- practically Dynasty!

There is one old piece of Y&R music I wish they'd bring back -- it literally starts 7 seconds in. I love it so much, it gives me goosebumps. At 3.50, another piece starts which is almost as evocative (tinkly, spooky). So Paul Rauch, if you are reading this...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG!! Loved this week! But I'll just comment on Friday.

:o @ Buffy alum Larry Bagby III playing Frank. Oh, the memories!

Not to be shallow but... WTF is going on with the back of Sharon's head? She needs a hair cut badly.

LURVED Jack conspiring against Adam. Very much like what Dorian does on OLTL, except Dorian isn't as slimy LOL. Nevertheless, it works here just as effectively because the writers know where they're going with this, didn't write out of Jack's persona, and really said a lot in the details (Jack saying he's busy to Adam but he's not to Noah), i.e. something no one has done on this show while LML was running things. Jack probably would've told the John ghost that he's flat out conspiring against Adam if this were under LML. If they keep going in this direction, I really think Y&R will be must-see TV again. Over the past few weeks, it definitely has been heading in that direction. However, 90% of the s/ls are in the exposition/conception stage so it makes sense that it's not riveting yet.

Loved Nick calling Sharon "Sharon Newman."

Loved Heather catching Adam and Frank. Building the suspicion!!

Don't care about the River ish. None of those characters interest me and Christian's become so comfortable in Michael that he's lost in his little ticks and nuances. He really needs to step back to invigorate that role again, give it life. It's so dead right now.

Also love Nikki/Victoria/Nicholas, although Nikki/Nicholas more. I'm still having trouble with Amelia playing the woman with authority. She's no Sarah Palin but she seems to still lack the Victor Newman-ness that he wrote about in his letter to her. When Adam begged for a job earlier in the week, she didn't kick him out with as much gusto as I thought she should've. So, if Amelia's playing the version of Victoria who runs the company, not the artist/mom, then she really needs to assert herself.

• Members

OK, after reading the thread, I realized that I repeated just about everything that everyone else has said but would like to add some things from topics that have spawned from the thread itself and not the show (which probably is a shame, actually)

1. For the members who rile everyone up about whatever issue they have with Y&R... if it becomes a problem between you and one or two other members, why not pm each other? I mean, I'd like to read what everyone has to say, it's a free board. People have the right to express themselves however they please. But when the debate becomes so specific to a couple of people or so specific to one topic that's been beaten to death over the past few months, NO ONE WANTS TO READ IT. I mean, I don't.

And I know I'm sounding like "the police" but I'd rather talk about how to solve this annoying problem than complaining about how certain members' comments are stupid or rude (and I'm not just talking about y&rfan).

2. Cat, you're the bomb diggity. Clueless is one of my all-time favorites too!

Gotta love the internet for posting these quotes!!

Mel: Do you know what time it is?

Cher: A watch doesn't really go with this outfit, daddy.

Cher: If it's a concussion, you have to keep her conscious, okay? Ask her questions.

Elton: What's seven times seven?

Cher: Stuff she knows.

Mel: Where are you?

Cher: I'm just having a snack at my girlfriend's.

Mel: Where, in Kuwait?

Cher: Is that in the valley?

Christian: Do you like Billie Holiday?

Cher: I love him.

Tee hee.

• Members

See, Sylph! That's what I'm talking about! Rhythmchyc gets it!

Totally agree! That is 100% what I was feeling about CLB yesterday too. Maybe they need to really strip the character...give him an illness that confines him to bed without movement...so he relearns some stillness in his character.

I'm over Amelia. Do I wish for a better Victoria? Yeah. But this one is serviceable. I consider her a permanent supporting character, which is fine.

We all know that someday the "real" Victoria will return.

• Members

3. I like Nikki's hair. It's different. Her make-up is really caked on nowadays but it's something I expect from this character. Melody isn't a young thing anymore, she's mature. I think her body shape is appropriate and I get pissed when people (like they did with Andrea Evans on the OLTL thread) talk about her weight gain at all. She's not a little girl anymore. Bearing children does change your body. Not everyone is Katherine Kelly Lang.

Paris Hilton's doing it too, after Amy Whinehouse really brought it back, so I don't think it's a political comment more of a fashionable one, particularly as she's the Editor in Chief at Restless Style.

4. I like Adam, just as I like Billy and Chloe and Michael and Phyllis back in the day. They're not characters I root for (although since Chloe's surrounded by complete idiots, it's easy to root for her). They're characters that provoke and entertain and incite violence betrayal, deception, intrigue, ALL THE THINGS FOR WHICH SOAPS ARE NOTORIOUS!!!!! Everyone's become so vanilla that whenever someone gray comes into the picture, people hate. And I think it's a shame.

I'm on the Newman kid's side 100% because they were out for Victor's best interest when they blasted Sabrina. Adam wasn't. He was out for himself. He's still out for himself. The man knows of Frank's shady record and he still calls him to do something that was heinous in the first place: ruin Victor's reputation in this Tell-all. Heather tells him to steer clear of Jack, and he does it anyway. I mean, he's completely asking for it.

But I don't hate him. The writers made sure to make his situation desperate to complicate our opinion of him to feel pity and understand why he's in cahoots with the despicable Jack Abbot. And if Jack were a really good man, he could've told Adam, "Here's $5 million, open a company." But my hate for Jack is another story.

• Members

<sigh>

Nick and Sharon. If they put them together, though, and have her pining for a another random fella a year after their reconciliation, I think I'll shoot myself. I hate when characters don't learn from their mistakes and repeat them over and over (a la Carly on ATWT). There are so many different types of mistakes people can make in the world LOL. That was one huge element of Bill Bell's era that I hated. It was always the damn woman's fault. So glad that ish is over.

Anyway, I know people hated Nick and Sharon but I loved them. And this set up is fantastic. I really hope they go for the gold this time (Brad and Sharon were so anticlimactic, the writers definitely have to make it up to us big time)

• Members

See...maybe I just love the tease.

I want Nick and Sharon to get perilously close. Enough that Phyllis self-sabotages

Then, thereafter, I want Nick and Phyllis to reconcile...but now he's a little disappointed. Still, as a man of integrity he works on it.

Meanwhile, Sharon and Jack break up...and Ashley is miffed at Sharon for hurting Jack AND for redecorating the house. But, then, Sharon--seeing Nick's renewal with Phyllis---gravitates to Brad..further antipathy between the women (Ashley and Sharon).

I want Nick and Sharon to stay in one another's orbit...but show decency in trying to stay apart...until Brad and Phyllis do something soooooooooooo awful that those relationships are irretrievably broken.

Even then, I want Nick and Sharon to actively "court"...to rediscover each other...and only then come together.

At that point, I want Sharon to get pregnant with the daughter prophesized by Cassie...and then stay together thereafter. Obviously, from that point forward, if the show continues, the story should be about Nick and Sharon having separate obstacles (career, family, their children), but always coming together at night.

In that context, in my vision of it, Nick and Sharon don't actually remarry until the last episode of the series. I truly believe it is the striving and wanting that makes a good show...not the short term fulfillment.

I'd even go for a story, down the line, where somehow Phyllis BLACKMAILS Nick into staying with her. Much as I have loved Phick, I'm fine with totally savaging that relationship over time. But I want the Nick-Sharon destiny to go very, very, very slowly. That is how soaps should be...that is what keeps us tuning in, IMO.

• Members

Yes, the yearning and waiting and craving for it all to come to the resolution. I like that idea. Especially Phyllis blackmailing to keep Nick. As Nikki's working at Restless Style, I really see her screwing up big time with him because of the battle that'll ensue between Nikki and Phyllis. It really has to be huge, though. But I don't think that Phyllis should deal the final blow.

I think Nicholas should come clean and say that Summer's not his damn baby. It's Jack's. That decision would've deceived a lot of people but still depict Nick as a good man in the end. Still, Phyllis will be so pissed at him that she'll prevent him from seeing the child and he'll have little ties with her, which will definitely pave the way for him and Sharon.

what's this about the show ending? Yeesh. I know there was speculation a month back but did anything come about further supporting this?

• Members

I doubt Sharon would want Nick if he lied about Summer. Even she is not that desperate for him. I feel that ship has sailed. The writers will need to use Summer through countless Phyllis and Nick drama when they separate and reconcile prior to a Shick reconciliation. In Paris, when asked about a Sharon and Nick reunion, Joshua Morrow said he did not see it happening anytime soon. Sharon Case was eager to reply that she wanted it to happen. But I can't blame her. Bill Bell really loved Sharon and Nick and wrote for them quite a bit. Many people found them to be bland but yet still loved them. They really seemed to work as young love but as they grew, it became harder for me to enjoy them. They should have broken them up years ago. Nick and Phyllis are going to be a couple for a while, but Sharon is gonna be the fly in their ointment. Nick will always be drawn to her and Phyllis will hate it thus leading to more stupid moves on her part. The writers will tease for a while longer but I doubt they are writing a reunion story for Sharon and Nick. He seems to love and adore Phyllis too much right now. I guess that could change but we have yet to see his feelings for her erode.

• Members

We have yet to see them resolve Nick and Sharon as well. Why is Nick so caught up in Sharon if he loves Phyllis so much? It doesn't add up. How can you be drawn to your ex in such a deep way, but claim that you've moved on? It has nothing to do with Noah, as we've been seeing, they're using him as a plot device in this whole Nick and Sharon saga.

It might be immediate, but a Shick reunion will definitely be happing down the road. Too much history and years or investment is there to be washed away by Phyllis of all people. It's what Bill Bell would've wanted, since Shick was his last real long-term couple on the show. As Jack said, Phyllis has a history of shooting herself in the foot, and that's just who she is, and why so many of us were drawn to the character initially. I'm all for a mature Phyllis, but they need to keep her core in tact and not totally strip her of what used to make her so interesting.

I wouldn't listen to either Case or Morrow in regards to a Shick reunion, anything could happen. Neither have struck me as the type to demand storyline rewrites.

• Members

Yet again, as many times before, Doug Davidson is totally ignored in the show. The man recently had an anniversary (30 years at Y&R), yet he is still mostly ignored. If they need investigating and stuff he's there, but without that he's nowhere. They didn't even have the decency to spend two seconds explaining Maggie's departure. I wonder if the only storyline Paul could get is Christine's return.

• Members

He's supposed to be on next week.

But Paul hasn't been a main character in YEARS, no one seems to know what the hell to do with him. Other than Heather, he has no one on the show who he's related to or anything. I've always thought that they could fire Doug and almost no one would notice. LOL!

And about Maggie's departure, I laughed when JT told him a few months back, "Now that you're single..." LOL! They didn't even mention her.

I also see no use for Heather, I really think they need to recast with a stronger actress. Vail Bloom is not believable as a DA, and the only person she has some chemsitry with is Chris Engen. She's a very weak actress overall.

Archived