Y&R: Week of October 06, 2008

• Members

Yeah, it's funny how Paul's absence probably wouldn't mean much to anyone. Without Christine he's nothing.

I guess they just didn't want to even mention Maggie because all the LML stuff.

Without Adam, Heather wouldn't have much use. They aren't giving the actress much of a chance (maybe because she doesn't have a wider acting range, or maybe just because they don't want to; I don't know), but the best thing she's got going on is Adam. Vail barely made it a few months ago.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Summer must be Nick and Phyllis'. Any other course RUINS the character of Nick. I could more buy that Phyllis arranged for Nick to get bad test results...but even that I do not want to happen.

I love love love the idea that, as Phyllis turns bad and the marriage dissolves (over years), Summer gets used as a weapon. Some of you recall that Nikki used Victoria as a weapon (training her, for example, to say to Ashley "You are a wicked witch...please leave my mommy and daddy alone...please don't take away my daddy"). So, it would be great to see Phyllis in that mold!

Y&R is not ending! I mean, someday it will...I'm just saying that I really don't Nick and Sharon's reunion to be rushed. I love the loooooooooooooooong tease.

• Members

True.....

Even though I don't like what Jack is doing I must say it's entertaining and watching Adam squirm on Friday's episode was fun. I guess I'm just tired of watching Jack being the bad guy and Victor coming out as being the victim so often.....

It's just at times it seems like they are keeping Jack on the path LML sent him down if that makes sense...... :unsure:

Count me in as tiring of Vail Bloom as Heather especially the way she was acting towards Adam on Friday when she was telling him to calm down by saying "Easy Tiger" and then the the scenes between her and Nikki/Victoria seemed awkward and not in a good way........

• Members

I think Paul's non-entity status is an interactive effect.

The writers have not invested in him for years, and most of his family is gone.

But there is rich, rich potential in a quadrangle with Victor, Nikki & Ashley.

But Davidson deserves some responsibility. In his pairings with Ashley and Nikki, did you ever see the actor play a HINT of sexuality? I'll answer that....NO. He plays a friend, bemused smile, chaste kisses, no passion. Even in his pairing with Maggie, it was the actress who deserved all the credit for any chemistry.

I think Doug has been walking through his role since AT LEAST Cricket left...and IMO even before. I don't personally think Doug has really had his heart in it since the end of the Cassandra mystery...and that includes the "rape" story.

If Doug would just bring some of his raw sexuality--the actor is HOT--I think the character could rise again.

• Members

I don't think that's true. Say whatever about the Phyllis as Sheila storyline, but Doug, Michelle, Tracey and Christian played their parts to the hilt. Paul even had a weird almost sexual chemistry with Pheila. That is the only time the writers have given him meaty material since his Isabella storyline and he was terrific. Ashley was written as extremely cold in the end of her run under LML and what scene has been written for Paul and Nikki to really test their chemistry? They are taking this slow because she is a widow and still clinging to Victor. Neither is a fault of Doug as an actor.

Not every actor gets handed great scenes and meaty storylines year after year and yet too often we blame good actors because their characters are "boring". I have read the same thing about Tracey Bregman and even Christian Le Blanc but when all three performers get good material they perform and perform well. But these writers don't always gift scenes or story based on talent and that is why so many talented veterans have been left to languish on the backburner while the show props barely adequate actors. There are a few exceptions like Michelle Stafford, Peter Bergman, Judith Chapman, Melody Thomas Scott and Eric Braedan who get good story regularly but other veterans are lucky to get one good story a year and a few emmy worthy scenes.

Saying that, Y & R is still much better than most shows using their veterans. One thing I think LML has been pretty good at is trying to use as much as the cast as she can. She still needs to work on getting Paul involved though. For the first half of the year it was all Newman, the quad and Gloria but now there is much better balance.

• Members

LOL at saying "LML". I think you mean "MAB".

Anyway, I wasn't clear...I LOVE Doug Davidson, and I think he could again be the hunk star of the show. He is a terrific actor (what man can so effectively play strength and tears in the same scene?), and great to look at.

So, if I come across as upset, it is because I want Paul front and center.

But I stand by what I said. I don't think Davidson is bringing much energy or assertiveness to his role.

You mentioned Michael and Lauren, but both of those actors STILL demand attention and have lots of energy...even when the writing is lackluster and the actors over-rely on tics.

Davidson is different. From being the smashing young hero of the show, back in the day, he is now quiet and dull in most of his scenes. I realize he is not getting the writing he deserves, but writers also write to what the actor is showing. Doug isn't showing much.

I REALLY want that character to be a forceful dynamo again.

• Members

Yes, I definitely meant MAB. Lauren and Michael are my favorites, but I have at times been very frustrated with the lack of story not to mention romantic scenes they are given but now they are finally getting a story. Of course, it continues to be about them propping other characters but at least they are on three times a week again. I just feel bad for Doug because he can be very, very good but is given so little to work with.

I don't know what the problem is with him and love interests. I thought his love scenes with Maggie were sexy but the show wrote them mostly as work buddies. He still has very good chemistry with Tracey Bregman but once she was matched with CLB as Michael, I immediately saw more romantic chemistry between Tracey and Christian than her and Doug even though they were very hot in the 80's. They didn't have the same heat in 2003-04, so you may have a point about him and romantic leads although I also think the writers don't really give him much to work with. I just think they need to give him and Nikki a genuine try instead of him just being a shoulder for Nikki to cy on over Victor. I also would like them to write him his own story. Maybe bring Ricky back for the new teen scene and get him involved with the other parents just like they will probably have with Nick and Sharon butting heads with Michael and Lauren over Noah and Summer.

Archived