HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE

• Members

I've heard so many good things about the David Bachmann story. I hope I can see it someday.

I think Channel disliked the hype and putdown of traditional soaps more than she disliked Nixon, but she really did let AMC have it multiple times in this magazine.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To be honest, as a staunch advocate of the traditional, family-based, character-driven, slow-moving classic soaps, even I got fed up with all the cheerleading for hip, modern, relevant (whatever any of that meant, anyway) storytelling on soaps. Nixon was bright even to weave "relevance" into traditional soap structure and storytelling, which is why she was so successful. If she had just had her characters sitting around pontificating on a woman's right to choose, or the war, or equal pay for equal work, the audience of her shows would have been as bored as the audience was for HTSAM under Bailey. "Relevance" does not equate to interesting or popular. Nor does it guarantee any quality to the scripts.

• Members

When PEYTON PLACE hit a rough patch, what did TPTB do? They fired Dorothy Malone and Tim O'Connor, and went for hardcore "relevance," which ended up being a disaster and annoying the audience. Whether it be on daytime or primetime, TIIC never learn their lessons. They keep making the same stupid, audience-alienating mistakes over and over again, throughout the decades. Gutting the vets and drastically changing the tone and style, on ATWT and TGL in the early 1980s severely crippled both shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

If i remember correctly and amazing at the age of 6 or 7 at this time, Cathy Green who played Sally Frame on AW and Lori on HTSAM was hit by car when she went to chase after her dad after he was leaving her and her mother for her moms bf.  what hoes back then.  haha!!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

In Retro TV's rerun cycle of The Doctors, we are now seeing HTSAM's Michael Landrum as the recast, post-facial surgery Dr. Mike Powers. It is now October 1974, and in 1975 another HTSAM alum, Armand Assante, will take over the role. Lauren White was another HTSAM star who found a home on TD, also starting in 1975 (she left TD in 1978).

Edited by amybrickwallace

• 1 month later...