September 8-12, 2008

Toups

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm enjoying AMC and have put it back on my DVR. Honestly, I think it is difficult for people to return to ABC soaps. Really, once you stop watching, it's hard to return. Posts here are the only thing that got me to even take a new look at AMC. Also, I don't trust the network. I believe anything good right now will be short-lived and I have no intention of investing much into characters or couples on any ABC soap. A new writer will come in or the network will get a hair up its butt and there will be no payoff for my investment.

• Members

Friday, September 19, 2008

ABC Television Network

PRESS RELEASE - PRESS RELEASE - ENTERTAINMENT -

RATINGS FOR ABC DAYTIME (WK OF 9/8)

Print This Document

note: To use this function, upgrade your browser: Quick Download

Fringe Ratings Report: ABC Daytime Programming

Week of September 8, 2008

ABC Stands as Daytime's No. 1 Network in Women 18-49, Surpassing No. 2 NBC by 8% and No. 3 CBS by 22%

With Guests John and Cindy McCain, Friday's "The View" Stands as the Show's Fourth-Most-Watched Telecast On Record in Total Viewers

Proving to be the Show to Watch This Election Year, This Week Ranks as "The View's" Most-Watched Week in More Than a Year and a Half in Total Viewers, and the 7th Best Week Ever in the Talker's 12 Seasons

For the Second Straight Week, "The View" and "General Hospital" Position Among Daytime's Top 5 Most-Watched Programs in Total Viewers, with Both Placing Among the Top 3 in Key Women 18-34 and Women 18-49

All ABC Programs Rank Among Daytime's Top 5 in Women 18-49 for the Second Week Running, with the Net Home to 2 of the Top 3 in Women 18-34

"General Hospital" Enjoys its Most-Watched Week in 3 Months in Women 18-34, and in 5 Months in Women 18-49

This Week Qualifies as "One Life to Live's" Most-Watched Week in 7 Weeks in Total Viewers, in 8 Weeks in Women 18-34 and in 9 Weeks in Women 18-49

Ranking Among Daytime's Top 5 Programs for 22 Weeks Running, "One Life to Live" Tops CBS' "As the World Turns" at 2 O'clock by a Hefty 83% in Women 18-34 and by 43% in Women 18-49,

"General Hospital" Routs Time Period Competitor CBS' "Guiding Light" by 120% in Women 18-34, by 71% in Women 18-49 and by 29% in Total Viewers

ABC Daytime

* ABC stood as Daytime's No. 1 network in Women 18-49 (1.3 rating/878,000), surpassing NBC (1.2 rating/786,000) by 8% and CBS (1.1 rating/734,000) by 22%.

* With guests John and Cindy McCain, Friday's "The View" stood as the show's fourth-most-watched telecast on record in Total Viewers (4.62 million), delivering its largest audience in almost two years (since 1/15/07).

* Proving to be the show to watch this election year and driven by Friday's near-record delivery, this week stood as "The View's" most-watched week in more than one and a half years in Total Viewers (3.95 million - since week of 4/23/07).

* For the second straight week, "The View" (No. 3 - 3.95 million) and "General Hospital" (No. 5 - 2.94 million) were in the week's Top 5 most-watched programs in daytime in Total Viewers.

* In Women 18-49, for the second consecutive week, ABC placed all programs in Daytime's Elite 5: "General Hospital" (No. 2 - 1.6 rating/1.03 million), "The View" (No. 3T - 1.3 rating/861,000), "One Life to Live" (No. 3T - 1.3 rating/858,000) and "All My Children" (No. 5T - 1.2 rating/766,000).

* In Women 18-34, ABC owned 2 of Daytime's Top 3: "General Hospital" (No. 2 - 1.1 rating/372,000), "The View" (No. 3T - 0.9 rating/307,000) and "One Life to Live" (No. 3T - 0.9 rating/304,000).

* This week stood as "One Life to Live's" most-watched week in Total Viewers in seven weeks (2.56 million - since week of 7/21/08), in Women 18-34 in eight weeks (304,000 - since week of 7/14/08) and in Women 18-49 in nine weeks (858,000 - since week of 7/7/08).

* "General Hospital" enjoyed its most-watched week in two months in Total Viewers (2.94 million - since week of 7/14/08), in nearly three months in Women 18-34 (372,000 - since week of 6/23/08), and in five months in Women 18-49 (1.03 million - since week of 4/21/08).

* A Top 5 player in Daytime for the 22nd straight week in target young women, "One Life to Live" towered over CBS' "As the World Turns" at 2 o'clock by 83% in Women 18-34 (304,000 vs. 166,000) and by 43% in Women 18-49 (858,000 vs. 598,000).

* At 3 o'clock, "General Hospital" delivered its largest victory over CBS' "Guiding Light" in recent months, routing it by an impressive 235% in Women 18-34 (372,000 vs. 111,000), 99% in Women 18-49 (1.03 million vs. 518,000) and 46% in Total Viewers (2.94 million vs. 2.02 million).

Following are the Daytime Lineup averages, plus Top 5 Programs Ranks - Week of September 8, 2008:

Daytime Rank: Total Viewers Women 18-49 (Rtg/000s) No. 1 CBS 3.42 million No. 1 ABC 1.3/878,000 No. 2 ABC 2.98 million No. 2 NBC 1.2/786,000 No. 3 NBC 2.61 million No. 3 CBS 1.1/734,000Top 5 Daytime Programs in Women 18-49 (rank based on rating): Program Net Rtg/000sThe Young & the Restless CBS 1.8/1.21 millionGeneral Hospital ABC 1.6/1.03 millionThe View ABC 1.3/861,000One Life to Live CBS 1.3/858,000Bold and the Beautiful CBS 1.2/788,000Days of Our Lives NBC 1.2/786,000All My Children ABC

• Members

AMC is improving in huge leaps every day. I can only hope viewers who gave up will somehow be convinced to try it again. We still have too much "sextet" but it's getting better, and some of the newer stories (and the Adam/Erica 'pairing') are very very good. I really feel like I'm watching the old AMC again, with only a few weak points.

It's a shame the ratings do not reflect this, but hopefully by sweeps we'll see an increase.

• Members

Ratings never reflect quality people, that's never really been the case.

However, to casual viewers, I can see why AMC might not look too promising for them. I was watching it the other day with a friend of mine, and she commented, "This show looks like crap directing and production-wise, how could you bear to watch this with your eyes?" Meaning the film look still doesn't look too good on AMC, despite improving over what it originally was. There's something very "unsoapy" about AMC's look that I think can turn-off soap fans who might want to give it a try. I really think if AMC went back to its old look, casual viewers might be more willing to give it a try.

Glad to see no massive falls this week and nice to see Y&R not dropping significantly, the show has improved greatly over the beginning of the year. The Y&R case seems interesting, when the quality of the show improved, people tuned back in. I wonder how much has to do with promotion though.

• Members

If the writing improves, I don't think the quality of AMC will matter to most die hard viewers. There are still those viewers out there that if AMC can tap into them that only care about story and characters. Remember both Dark Shadows and Edge of Night were never technically up to the par of many of their counterparts and yet both were successful. Most of it was due to the writing and the characters.

Yes there are the modern viewers who only care about such things, just as there are those who don't see the overall picture of a show as long as their fave is not the be all of the show. Many only watch for certain things, but there are still fans out there that don't care.

I remember back several years ago when many of us were angry over the Josh thing and quit watching. The writing was still exciting and people were still tuning in no matter what. It was only after the writing settled down that many people really noticed what Megan McTavish had done to the show while they were being entertained.

If the writing gets consistent and the balance is there as well as characters made to where you can care about them again - people for the most part won't give a rats ass about the film look. They never cared that The Edge of Night's sets were some of the worst in daytime or for that matter the worst in TV ever. And same for Dark Shadows.

• Members
AMC is still a hot mess and definitely deserves those numbers. Too much focus on Annie and Ryan when they aren't that interesting to begin with. They've made Greenlee a insipid, bland shadow of herself, the Zendall story makes no sense, Adam partnering with a teenager????, Take is still boring and where's Tad's storyline? And don't get me started on the "grand" love of Randi and Frankie. AMC is lucky they didn't get even lower numbers.

Archived