OLTL: Carlivati interview on Marty/Todd

• Members

Toups, you know I respect your feelings on it but I just think it's nasty.

I'm not sure what disturbs me more. Is it them wanting some mutual romantic feelings to linger between these two? or is it the fact that they're having Todd do this to the woman he so brutally attacked for nearly a year of story only to half a** psuedo-redeem him after it and all is k.o.(ok)? It's like GH with the mob stuff, they went too far, they jumped the shark. If making Powell a serial rapist to follow up the success of Marty's rape story wasn't bad and tacky enough, this is.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to back Toups up on this one.

It's interviews like this that make me like RC again, even though so much of what's going on with One Life right now annoys me. But this story in particular, IF TOLD RIGHT, is something we haven't seen on daytime in YEARS - a story based solely on anticipation, a story that makes us all squirm on a daily basis, a story that revolts us and intrigues us at the same time, a story that makes us all question heroes and villains and every shade of grey in between. Is it difficult to watch? Absolutely. But it's a story like none other I've seen on daytime in awhile - a story where I can absolutely agree with everyone who loathes it as much as I can absolutely agree with everyone who loves it. And that's pretty interesting.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), there is a down side to this. How this story culminates will either make or break it. If RC screws up the "Act Three" of this tale, he'll alienate EVERYONE. But if he gets it right? It'll be brilliant.

But that's just my usual "Devil's Advocate" perspective.

• Members

Is it to early to call RC a hack....Mendora, Dorian's Dropped takeover, 1968, and the new upcoming crap......Even DH didn't get bad until at least 2 years in. RC imo, is treading on hack territory.

'Im not quite understanding the resistance to exploring their relationship if she didn't know." - I'd love to see him say that to a rape victim :rolleyes:

• Members

Overrated might be a better word.

Honestly, Ron's interview reminds me a great deal of Frons' educating viewers' remark. I think people who don't like the story don't need ReCycle to tell them why they don't like it and why they are wrong.

Perhaps calling him a hack is premature, but after the last few months I would say that the Saint Ron routine has been going on a bit long.

• Members

I think some of the language and wording in the interview is totally wrong - he can't possibly mean that a romance is okay if she doesn't remember. So I don't think he's expressing it well at all and I see why people are upset. But I also think the story has played onscreen largely as a thriller - they've highlighted Todd's deceit and manipulation of Marty more in the last two weeks, and the other day, Tess spoke for the audience about how sick Todd was being - and not at all as a romance, though the amnesiac Marty may fall for Todd before it's over. I have no concern that the story will really go there (and I wouldn't watch if it did). I think it's twisted, but very watchable.

• Members

Cheap's right, it's a form of mind rape. Todd's just victimizing her all over again. He's keeping her away from her son and future grandchild-DELIBERATELY.

I'd like to see some growth from Todd, cause for years he's been one note and one dimensional and having all the depth of a mud puddlbe

• Members

I just realized who Ron reminded me off in his comments....GUZA....when Guza in a interview tried to defend himself for his love of mob by saying the mob has always been apart of GH. Ron's comment 'I'm not quite understanding the resistance to exploring their relationship if she didn't know.", so reminded me a something Guza would say.

Ron don't play stupid...YOU KNOW EXACTLY why there is resistance.

• Members

OMG I never really thought of that, but yeah I can see it, kind of twisting the question back around kind of thing that Guza does. I mean Guza doesn't understand why there's resistance to mob, Carlavati doesn't understand the resistance to Todd once again violating his former rape victim

• Members

Clearly, RC wants to tell this story because he feels that it is worth telling. I have no problem with a soap headwriter telling an unpopular story. Just don't insult my intelligence in the interviews and admit that he is writing this story irregardless of the reservations of some viewers. I don't think that this one story will sink OLTL anyway. RC's recent all around uninteresting writing will do that job quite nicely.

Archived