Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

You're right, James, the episode balance works well when they have more than 2 stories happening at once. It really lifts the show, and makes it feel like it has a bigger cast than what it does. For 5 years they tried to change the show into something that it isn't; they avoided having more than 2 storylines running at the same time in each episode, which really slowed the show down and made it feel lifeless. I feel like this is Jason Herbison's changes, and while I don't want to get too excited about his potential greatness at being EP, I do feel like he's getting off to a positive start (even though he hasn't officially been credited as EP, yet).

Lauren now has some depth, and even the terrible Josh/Amber pairing seems to have been better defined. Unlike Kate, I feel like Josh is being written as a jerk, b/c he is a jerk, and we are supposed to dislike him and see him as a jerk. I guess he's the "evil" twin and, Imogen's the "good" twin. LOL. I also love the character arc they have mapped out for Paul, and it feels like Sonya also has direction - she's one of the most defined and layered characters on the show, IMO. Rebecca's return has been great; Jane Hall is effortless, and she has great chemistry with Stefan Dennis. I like that they had her reference how contrived her own return is. laugh.png I also think Mark Brennan has fitted into the show well.

There's still some work to be done, like giving Matt a personality, fixing the merry-go-round that is Kyle & Georgia, and not prop Jamber as the new Scott & Charlene!

ETA: I'd love Rebecca to become permanent. I hold out that this guest stint is designed to test the water.

Edited by Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

With Neighbours tradition of characters nearly dating there unknown sibling, Glen/Lucy Serena and was it Luka?
So i'm expecting Lauren & Brad's Daughter to show up & nearly get with Ned( not sure if they've announced plans to cast him tho) if not it'll be Josh or Bailey haha

• 2 months later...
  • Members

DS' Jason Herbison interview: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/interviews/a577156/neighbours-producer-jason-herbison-reveals-show-gossip-and-teasers.html

If you have read any of the previous producer interviews, then I recommend reading this one, as it has a completely different vibe to it; Jason is much more open and engaging compared to Richard Jasek and Susan Bower.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, watch out for FremantleMedia's dodgy press releases, BetterFogotten. There is always a distinct lack of research when it comes to Neighbours.

Unless they were referring to it being a first time venture into online media?

I wonder if Errol will run an article on this (if he hasn't done so already, as I haven't checked)? I'd love for it to do well that Hulu extends their contract beyond the trial period. I think it would give Fremantle some confidence in the show and its future potential. Hopefully American's will watch and like the show.

Is Hulu still streaming Coronation Street? Anyone know how that does?

• Members

Last time I checked, Hulu streams both Corrie and Hollyoaks. I really dislike working with Hulu, so I haven't really tried to watch them there. I did enjoy Neighbours when I watched a bit of it a few months ago, so I might give it another go.

And yeah, it was definitely on Oxygen ten years ago with episodes from 1999.

• Members

The Gary/Lucy incest storyline...banned by the BBC and only aired in the UK years later.

Lucy's a little whiny/not the best actress, but I like her - she's full of fire.

They should bring Gary back.

Seeing Paul with his grandmother makes me feel a little sad.

The slap at the end is hilarious.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I forgot all about Hollyoaks being on Hulu. Why did you stop watching Neighbours, AMS? Not enough time? If you liked it earlier in the year, then you'll like it now. It has upped its game.

I don't think Neighbours is anything like any other soap on air (or not on air). It has a different feel, tells stories differently to other soaps; it has a more positive outcome. It's character driven for the most part. You really need to sample the show for yourself.

I haven't watched Corrie for months, so I can't really say. Hollyoaks is a bit of a mess. Blessing's story is the best, but the rest is sensationalistic, OTT BS.

• Members

It was mostly because the YouTube channel that was posting the daily episodes suddenly stopped uploading them, but yes, it was also a time issue. Thankfully, since it's summer and the show will be on Hulu, neither one of those problems will be relevant this go-round. I did watch an episode of Corrie on Hulu yesterday with no problem (...well, except for the fact that it was Corrie), so hopefully it streams Neighbours with no issue.

Care to give us a little heads up on what to expect?

• Members

I guess there are two major things you need to know:

1. Kate was murdered (and is now on B&B!) by a man called Victor Cleary who was out to make Paul pay for the murder of his brother Gus 10 years ago in the infamous Lassiter's inferno that Paul started. I think Hulu picks up the climax to this story.

2. Lauren and Brad kissed while searching for their long-lost daughter, who has come to town searching for them - this is Paige, who's keeping her identity a secret until she's fully sussed out the reason why she was given up for adoption. Paige is awesome - she's got a lot of personality, and it's really interesting introducing her like this, as gives the whole story a more interesting development.

Look out for Naomi Canning, she's a femme fatal, and is Sheila's daughter. Her father died of a heart attack, which has left its mark on her. She's looking for love and is finding it in married men! She's currently scheming to win Toadie by stalking herself. Toadie and Sonya have some issues of their own, namely Sonya's addictive personality that has seen her need to help people take over their life. Her current "charge" is Mark Brennan - Kate's ex who was in witness protection - who's grieving for Kate and involved in a vendetta against Paul. Toadie & Sonya's son Callum has just left for Silicon Valley after randomly becoming a child genius.

Also of note is Daniel Robinson, Paul's nephew, and the son of Neighbours' 80s golden super-couple, Scott & Charlene. He's a nice guy, with a boho, hippy-ish personality. He's developed "an intense vibe" (yeah, he talks like this) with Amber, who's falling for him even though she's with the self absorbed Josh. Basically. Amber has become a much more interesting character around Daniel.

Elsewhere: Karl and Susan's daughter Libby has returned for a short guest stint. Paula Abdul makes a cameo appearance. Oh, and, Kyle and Georgia are back together.

Edited by Ben