Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not sure quite how to answer that, Bright Eyes. If you don't like it now, then you probably never will. It's more true to itself these days, than it has been for a few years, and long term fans are appreciating the changes. I'm loving the show ATM. Granted, it's not perfect, but the feel, tone and pacing has improved so much last year.

It was deadly dull in 2009, the worst year the show has ever had.

In 2005-2007, the show was OTT, and maybe more your cup of tea. It had an evil twin impersonating their comatosed brother, and blowing up a plane killing a major family (that didn't go down well with viewers), poisoning and gassing people; one comedy character went psychotic and started doing crazy stuff. The Lassiters complex was set on fire in 2004 (it's best finale ever). Paul Robinson turned evil, then had a brain tumour and got retrograde amnesia during 2006-2007. There was a bush fire in 2008. But the show can't be like this all of the time.

You watch a lot of soaps already, and I don't know how you manage it. I find Corrie so boring and miserable these day; Emmerdale is tedious; Home & away sucks - it's all murder and violence.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

i WOULd hardly describe Neighbours as close to a children's show. More realistic than the other soaps, maybe. Home and Away is farcical at the moment - Casey killed his dad then his dad's secret son tried to call him. Now Daryl's mate Adam and his son are trying to kill Heath and Kyle, the boy who tried to kill Casey, is acting like a hero. It's a joke. If you cut out the Braxtons the show would be 80% improved, the rest of the show is pretty awesome. It's just a shame H&A has become the most ridiculous show on TV. Meanwhile, EastEnders only seems to want to annoy its fans. Going for the most ridiculous revelations it can even if it doesn't make sense to the plot (Kat & Derek), it's falling apart at the seams.

Meanwhile, Neighbours is going from strength to strength. It has a good mix of ages and good and bad characters, comedy, light moments, dark moments, dramatic moments...all at the same time 2013 is set to be a HUGE year for Ramsay St, so no, I wouldn't say it was boring or a 'childrens show'. Lou's daughter returns, as does Sarah Beaumont, who was part of one of the most iconic storylines of the 90s which led to TheSlap! A huge sense of pride in the show's history has been restored and the show can finally be true to itself and not trying to fit into a world in which it doesn't belong.

I can't wait to see Mason and Bailey Turner, I reckon they're gonna be hot tongue.png What do you think about the show at the moment, Ben? And what's your opinion on Aidan leaving the show? I did watch a clip of Will and Sonny from Days recently, I did not realise what an amazing couple they are! Do you still watch that show and does this couple feature much? I want to follow their story...I notice your avatar is of Priya Kapoor, I have loved her recently, she's one of the greatest characters on the show at the moment.

• Members

I'm loving the show so much more these days. It feels a lot more like Neighbours, so much warmer with more heart. The show is constantly evolving trying to claw back its very damaged rep. The incidental music needs a major revamp, though. The good kind of comedy is back, which was missed, and since the crash, Sophie is much less annoying, and even Kate isn't as bad as she once was. I think the show has handled Andrew's epilepsy well, and I'm enjoying Carmel's return and seeing Karl and Susan interacting with someone 30+; Carmel and Susan are quite realistic as sisters, IMO. I'm so looking forward to Sarah's return, and the demise of the news paper - that's one set that has run its course.

I don't think the Lucas/Vanessa/Rhys triangle has worked the best it could have. It was boring and tedious for so long, but it's been better since Vanessa learned of Lucas' feelings for her. The sham wedding was not great; good drama for the actual event, but the idea was flawed from the start. I also dislike how exploring Rhys' family history was shelved for this dull triangle. Connor's return was also disappointing, as he never interacted with the other characters he knew outside of #30! However, they did manage to write a realistic story for Connor and his inability to mature. Him going away and coming back, only to be confronted with the realization that everything has changed apart from you, is probably quite realistic and relateable for some people around his age.

I love Priya. She's become my new fave character. Now that Jade has gone, and I've dealt with that (laugh.png), I needed to update my avatar, and she was the perfect choice. I'm kinda disappointed that Aidan is leaving, but I do feel he and Chris have run their course, especially considering they don't have any PDAs! Also, I don't want them to do the cliché story where the gay character falls in love for the first time and they become insta-soul mates, never to be with anyone else ever again. In an ideal world I would break up Chris & Aidan and keep both characters on, but that would require Neighbours having the potential for 4 gay characters at once, unless one of the guys never had a love interest ever again.

I think if someone isn't used to watching a soap that is grounded in character, and is slower (more realistic) in nature, then it probably will come across as boring, compared to EastEnders or Home & Away, where murder and violence and plot takes precedence over characters - Neighbours is not that kind of show; it's not the kind of soap that would be telling the Tanya/Max/Kirsty story or the hideous Derek/Kat/Alfie crapfest.

I no longer watch Days - the writing is hideous as it sucks out any potential drama and goes the opposite way. Everything is speeded up. However, being a new viewer, these things may not bug you as much as me, as you don't come with any history of the show or characters. I'd say give the show a go, as Will & Sonny are in the middle of a big story. Not sure what's going on with them right now, but they have featured quite a bit over the last few months. I've got to give the show some props for their first gay couple, as I never thought such a conservative soap would show as much as they have with Will & Sonny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ben - have you seen the news that Brad Willis (re-cast) is returning with a new wife Theresa (played by Rebekah Elmaloglou) and 2 teens? It's reported on Digital Spy.

I am agog. Out of anyone they could have brought back from the past I would never have imagined a re-cast Brad. I will post more on this, but I want to reply to your post too. Many fans are also speculating the possible axing of the Kapoors, especially as the actor who played Chris tweeted Menik saying 'we miss you'!

• Members

Yeah, I've seen that news, and I'm not sure what to think. I should be really happy that they're bringing back another past character as a regular, especially one I was a fan off (I loved Brad & Beth), but it's mired in the high possibility that the Kapoors may be leaving in order to for the Willises to move in. I really think the Kapoors have so much potential, especially Priya, that I'll be really disappointed if she leaves (I'll be more disappointed if she leaves and Ajay & Rani stay, as Priya is the more interesting member of the family, IMO). They've suffered with bad writing, and that is something that could have been easily fixed.

As you know, I loved Sophie in H&A, so I'll be happy to see RE in Neighbours, and I never hated KG, unlike some, so that's good in one way (even though it's currently difficult picturing him playing a surfie - lets hope they remember Brad's defining quality was him being a surf dude). However, does the show need another family? We have/will have the Kapoors, the Rebecchis, the Turners, Lucas/Vanessa/baby Patrick, Karl & Susan, Paul & Kate, and Chris/Kyle/Sheila/Georgia (possibly) as the share house... from this alone, I can see that the Robinsons is the area that needs most attention, and the family I would beef up by bringing back Amy and Robert, or Lucy.

I do wonder why Brad, and I guess it's b/c of his past with Lauren. But why not bring Brad back alone, or with his wife, instead of creating another new family for a street that doesn't have enough houses? I guess this is why the Kapoors leaving makes sense, as it will free up #24 for the Willises to move into. But where will Lucas/Vanessa/Patrick live? They can't stay living with Lou & the Turners. And Karl is going to be alone in #28 when Tash leaves in May, and even if Susan moves back in, it's going to be a big house for just them to fill. I don't want the Kennedys to be moved out of the street and into the apartment, as they belong living on Ramsay Street until the day they leave.

Thanks to James Mason's tweet, it is suss that Neighbours hasn't rebuked the rumour, like they constantly do about Ashleigh Brewer.Then there was that other tweet (supposedly from a Nicola Charles radio interview) about Sachin Joeb going to LA... I've loved having some colour in the show, instead of everyone being white, as that look doesn't feel very contemporary and realistic, IMO. It would be a shame if the show goes backwards with its diversity, especially seeing as Chris' future is also in doubt. Traditional family values doesn't equal white and straight. Thinking about it, I've noticed lately that the extras aren't as diverse as they were a year ago... If there's one think I'll praise SB for, it's injecting some much need diversity into the show.

I also wonder why they didn't create a new family, instead of bringing back an iconic old one? Lauren made sense, as Lou has been in desperate need of family, but Brad has no connection to RS outside of Lauren... I know some people are speculating that maybe a long term character is going to leave, and this is a way to placate long term fans by reinvesting in the past. Of course, the Kapoors may not be leaving, and it could be Lucas/Vanessa/baby Patrick who will depart, and Karl moves into Susan's apartment? Or Chris may be going, and Kyle & Sheila may move in with Karl (& Susan)? So many questions, so little answers. It does look bad for the Kapoors - and Priya in general - though. sad.png

On another note: loved seeing the sneak pics of Steph! I can't wait until she's back, and wish it was for longer. The same with Sarah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Neighbours gets a AU$1 million make-over for new backyard sets.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/03/neighbours-unveils-million-dollar-expansion.html

The sets really do look awesome, and super stylish. I think this shows renewed commitment for the shows future from FremantleMedia, and that can only be a good thing.

I guess this budget increase explains how they can afford all the new characters, and the apartment complex along side these newly created sets. It really is a new era for the show.

• Members

That sucks. But as soon as I found out that... was leaving, I knew their time would be up also. sad.png

Also, Menik Gooneratne (Priya) is pregnant, so that's great news for and her and her husband. If only they could've written it into the show and made Paul the baby daddy.

What's you thoughts on all of this, Edward, where ever you are?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What were the main stories at this time?

Was that Jason Donovan in the opening (but not the episode)? I wasn't sure if he was still on at this time.

Paul is credited - is he in this anywhere?

I'd never seen Kerry before. Wasn't expecting that, especially the Bo Derek hair. How did she die? She seems interesting. She and that other brunette woman are wearing the Swing Out Sister type hair and style.

Poor Harold. Even as a comic character he doesn't seem very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1SuISSEN8

Edited by CarlD2