Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tubi had a good selection of past Emmerdale - until today. Not sure where it'll end up next. Fortunately I'm still able to finish watching the plane crash saga and its January '94 aftermath, as part of my holiday soap viewing. I want to thank @DRW50 among others for providing a wealth of knowledge, it's been interesting digging into other key events in Emmerdale's past. I can't believe they killed off Frazer Hines not long after this. I know he's supposedly been rallying to come back; they could do (and have done) far worse.

• Members

Kudos for diving in - I'm sure it must be a mix of confusing and underwhelming at first, but there's a lot worth watching (nothing before or since in Emmerdale history matches this period in seeing the show tear itself down and build itself back again).

Sadly, the way Frazer was treated is par for the course with Emmerdale, but it was a very bad mistake, and I'm sorry they never tried to rectify it. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Not that confusing - I knew a fair bit of Emmerdale background on some stuff going in, and the rest was easily researchable. I do think it's a shame both next generation Sugden boys are gone atm but what are you gonna do. Frank Tate is even sexier than I remember, sorry not sorry. It's a very strong month-plus of episodes.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I was going to tag you to vent about Dingle protection, but I figure you get tired of that. I don't hate the Dingles, but this is an episode where the shield annoys me a great deal because it makes so much more sense for Noah to die - Samson would have to be more of a father to his kid with Amelia, Amelia would have more angst, as would Charity, etc. I know he's a Tate too and we don't need more dead Tates, but it's not as if the show ever plays into that side of him.

The worst part is that while the actors who play Wendy, Bob and Brenda all gave strong performances, the production felt so exploitive and overwrought that I couldn't even properly connect.

So many wrongly killed characters on this show.

• Members

You're right on all counts why killing Noah makes more sense. Personally I only need one reason.....

Please register in order to view this content

I wonder if we could possibly get an appearance by Scott in connection to this.... They mentioned him earlier last year when Cathy went to stay with him, so it wouldn't be completely out of the blue. If Ben Freeman is unavailable I'd be open to a recast. (Frankly I wouldn't mind a recast even if he is available). A comeback for Scott to the village would make this death a tiny, tiny, tiny bit less pointless.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I really liked Viv and her doomed husband in the plane crash episodes. But I wasn't surprised to hear that all of them and even the amazing Shirley at the Woolpack had croaked in the intervening years, and many of the young characters had met dire fates. (I thought the original child Scott also did quite a good job portraying PTSD, clinging fearfully to his horse)

The complaint here reminds me of when EE killed off Dennis Jr. a few years ago - a huge waste of future potential given his lineage.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Viv was a fantastic character. One of the best in Emmerdale history. Not always likeable mind you. She could be a real bitch sometimes, including to Shirley. That made it even more poignant of course when Shirley died saving Viv's life....

• Members

Ah that 1994 period after Phil Redmond’s ‘parachuted in’ period was over and Nicholas Prosser was left to retool the show out of the rubble.

Then Mervyn Watson came in and established the Dingles as a core family. And the show has never looked back, neither moved forward, it seems.