Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A few thoughts on the past year as I finish up 2023.

Gotta love how the Marshall character was erased from existence probably only because he was as bad an actor as it can get. Then Jai sums it up pretty well, along the lines of ‘he was a closed shell’, which I never got was the intent with the character but the result of the zero emotion portrayal.

I’ll always find the Caleb character a bit of a cheat from the writers, because he came on two months after Faith died and it felt as though they had nicely wrapped up everything with her character and her relationship with her children, but we then find out she had kept the existence of a brother from them (although Cain had known, they never talked about it when Faith was still on the show). I felt it cheapened and negated it all. After an entire year of Caleb on the show, I don’t see the point, yes the actor has some charisma but making him, say, Will’s brother would have been less overkill. I don’t see the point either of his affair with Tracy, as it’s overkill with the affairs as well.

Billy and Dawn have had very little to do and I’m just left wondering what it’ll take to cut these two dead weights from the show; Dawn is a fine actress but has no screen presence. I’m surprised this whole weird set-up at Home Farm with Kim living with Will’s relatives hasn’t turned into ‘Kim screws Billy’ which is about the only dramatic thing they could get out of it.

I’m glad they offed the Harry character and it’s such a lousy Emmerdale thing at this point to have a big bad guy if not Cain kidnap someone over an affair or something along the lines and keeping them bound in a barn or basement (see: Al, only to have Cain do the same with Aaron a few months later).

The whole Chloe/Mack saga was a chore to get through and she should just not have survived the crash. She’s a pretty loathsome character. Maybe things would have turned out better had Kerry’s presence been possible to create a relationship there, but I can no longer take Amy either, it’s always whining hour with her with unbelievable hypocrisy thrown in for good measure.

Although ED had a pretty bad year I’ll just end on a positive note: I love Mary who adds a lot of heart to the show. And I’ll add Claudette too, who fits well with the show’s history of similar peripheral characters. And I knew it re: the Jamie actor! Looking at the current Max on Corrie now then.

• Members

I think that was another case of an actor abruptly leaving, which is probably why they still had the whole hostage crisis with Laurel and his father after he was already gone. 

I have a feeling the show, or Claire King, may feel Kim has aged out of affair stories with much younger men, but I agree Billy/Kim would have made sense at one point.

• Members

So now we have Charity with PTSD, Belle is being abused, Eric has Parkinson's disease, Chas has cancer and we just had a car crash that killed a teenager....

Emmerdale is all about fun these days, ain't it?    

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Very delightful!

ED has become such a joke. 2023 was the worst year of that show.. I took a break and just got back when they started the Belle Story. Belle is so precious and I love her character and now she gets such a tough story. But like I said earlier: this is a story that needs to be shown for the younger audience or all people in general who can’t see their partner for what vile monster he is.

• Members

Nate has really adapted well to being a Dingle, including acquiring their incredible hypocrisy. I'm not condoning what Tracy and Caleb did, but has Nate forgotten that he had an affair with Moira, his own father's wife??  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was surprised that they did have a scene where Nate asked Cain if this happened to him because of what he did to Cain and Moira.

Self-awareness glimmers aside, I agree it's difficult to care about cheating stories for this reason, among many others (lack of interest in the characters, in their relationships, the rushed pacing, etc.)