EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

That reminded me to bring up what you said before about Kat having the most duff duffs now. That was so forced. Before they even outlined story they probably thought Kat HAD to be the cliffhanger the whole week through. It's things like that that really make me hate a character. I just hope the writers don't prop her to high heaven or else Kat will easily be dead to me.

Edited by Amello

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's not the most duffs duffs in general, it's the most consecutive duff duffs, which she's tied with Zoe (who got 5 consecutive cliffhangers in 2005).

I'm surprised Alfie didn't get a duff duff this week, but whatever. I guess they gave her all the duff duffs this week because she's a more iconic character than Alfie and it's their return week.

• Members

I think it is done now. I can understand the idea, as it helps get attention, and the ratings for this week were pretty good. I think Peggy had a lot of cliffhangers right before she left.

I know some fans were upset about Alfie not getting any duff duffs.

Speaking of that it's interesting to see how disparate the DS forums and the Walford Web forums are right now. Both have fans who don't like Kat and Alfie, and I can understand why someone wouldn't like them, but it seems much more heated at Digital Spy, where pretty much anything they say or do is automatically hated. The WW forums seem to be more accepting even if some don't like the characters.

I just wonder where all the "This show is so bad now what happened!!!" people were in 2008 and 2009. Then again maybe that was a beloved era, I don't know.

• Members

Digital Spy has always been that way, even in 2007-2009. It's a bit like SOC where all the rabid fanbases gather and hate on everything because it isn't flashy enough, or because their personal faves aren't getting the major focus.

There always seems to be a big thing that no one is killed off when they exit there. :wacko:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Yes, why all the black cabs, why did no one die?? Why didn't Minty get a better exit, why didn't he get Julia's Theme?? He had an entire story devoted to his departure and he got a happy ending, walking off to a new life with an old friend. Would some random death or some piece of music slapped on have made a difference? They're lucky I wasn't writing, as I would have dropped a house on him.

That whole big reaction is one of the reasons I'm surprised Kirkwood is still going on This Morning, as some of the fans are probably upset and might call in to speak their mind. Or do they do call ins? I can understand some of the reaction to too many baby stories, but stuff like "Rack is ruined!" or "This is out of character for Jack" I don't get. What character?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

This Morning doesn't do call-ins when they do interview, do they? Fans can submit questions though, but the show screens them so they aren't too crazy.

You know they screened a lot of those questions when Santer went on the show from the obsessed Danielle/Ronnie fans. :lol:

The Rack fans are always bitching about something, so nothing new there.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Thanks for posting that clip. When you see Charlie now you might think oh that's just Charlie, poor Charlie, and forget that he was a somewhat dark, and not overly pleasant man. I had to laugh when he went on about how nice Zoe was. And that's back when Kat and Zoe had flat chests...

I had forgotten that Derek Martin was a pretty decent actor.

Kat was in so much pain and the show always did a good job of putting that across and trying to keep a balance with her instead of writing her one way and saying something else.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Just watched the Kat and Alfie Reveaked special - "Kat and Alfie's Return."

It was one of the best revealed specials they've done in a while and didn't go too far off topic like other specials have in recent history. With the exception of that part in the middle about the behind the scenes stuff regarding the Vic fire, it was all about Kat and Alfie and their history on the show - both as a couple and as individual characters.

Simon Ashdown, Gillian Richmond, Tony Jordan, John Yorke, and Bryan Kirkwood all took part in the commentary. As for current castmembers, Lacey Turner, Derek Martin, Rita Simons, and Perry Fenwick all gave commentary.

They talked about about the Slater family and all the original sisters, as well as the Moon family.

Lacey said how great it was to have more people in the Slater house, since that house hadn't been as busy in recent years.

John Yorke said the Michelle/Den story and the secret over Vicky's conception is the best temple for secrets and reveals that EastEnders could use. He said they thought of that slow-burn story and reveal when they came up with the Kat/Zoe story.

Tony Jordan said it really broke his heart to write Kat and Alfie's first marriage breakup. You could tell how much he still loved them and how proud he and Yorke still are for creating the Slater's.

They talked a bit about the Andy Hunter saga. I always found Andy very sexy, and often wondered why Kat would choose Alfie over him, even if he did basically rape Kat later on with that money fiasco. :lol:

A lot of great behind the scenes stuff regarding the Vic fire too.

I think anyone who isn't very familiar with the characters should watch this special, and it's a great recap for those who know a lot about the characters and their interactions.

• Members

I thought it was a nice touch that Heather said the stairs at Ethel's place were a burden -- I think that's why Ethel had to move out. Seeing Dot talk about her relationship with Charlie and how she kept a blind eye to criminal activity so she could take care of Nick was a great scene, an unexpected moment. I also liked her, "What did I do?" type of reaction when Heather decided to go along with her idea. I'm also glad that they didn't have Heather crush on Alfie or anything.

Seeing Alfie meet various people again is the type of thing you should see with a returning character. I'm glad they got most of the relationships right, and that he even remembered Darren. I'm sorry that Barbara wasn't there long enough for Peggy and Alfie to meet again. For some reason I get the feeling that Eastenders is much more comfortable writing for Alfie than they are for Kat. Does anyone else get that? I thought it would have been the opposite.

I know some people think Kat is too angry and I can understand that, hopefully it won't go on for too much longer. I think more than anything she's just scared, because of her past history and whatever happened with Alfie. I guess the BBC has little budget these days but I think that Kat and Alfie could have done with a spinoff which would show them six months ago, or however long it was before Alfie was sent to prison. The scenes with Charlie, I'm glad they are having some of those before Charlie is gone. Yeah the whole "I was never good enough for you" is old history but history never goes away and new viewers can be caught up on a bit of this.

I enjoyed the Bianca/Kat scene because it wasn't anything seriously nasty. I can see where it was superfluous but also felt believable, people who are frustrated taking things out on the closest target. Unlike Roxy/Kat I can see where Bianca and Kat might become friends.

I hope Kat might get to have some bonding moments with other women, or with Stacey.

This week was the making of Big Mo. Or the remaking. I was ready to write her off but she's still got life left in her with Kat and the old Slater schemes around.

The Glenda/Leon stuff wasn't as bad as I had expected. I don't think Leon is attractive BUT he does look better with the new haircut, so I can see what Amello means about him. And I can see where Glenda, feeling worthless, ends up trying to charm him. The conflict between Glenda and Carol was interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing that become a longer-running story, as they are very different women who took very different paths in life yet are somehow in the exact same place.

I didn't quite buy the whole thing about the Golds going to eat at the cafe, although I guess Harry was trying to make Vanessa as uncomfortable as possible. The scenes with Max and Darren felt slightly unfinished. I really liked that last Stax scene, I wish I could see them just sitting around drinking and laughing. I never thought that would happen.

• Members

Just Watched EE Reveal

Andy could have been a great villian but they seriously dropped the ball with him.

Kat/Alfie are like the modern day Den/Angie. Shame there was no mention of Jake & Danny. I want to know whats going on with Jake.

Can`t wait to see Mo running the place. I heard Charlie there too. When`s he leaving ?

• Members

I wish they'd mentioned Jake or Belinda. I guess this dashes my hopes of Belinda returning.

I was very fascinated by the way they put the special together. It was seamlessly done with the right approach to humor and to hard-hitting topics like Kat/Zoe. They had a few lines in there which were in the Revealed from 2001 or 2002, like talking about the story ideas for the Slaters, but they also had some new material. Did you notice that they had Jessie Wallace trying to add some humor to the tragic stuff with Kat, so that people wouldn't be too depressed in a lighthearted special? I hadn't heard a lot of those stories before, like the one about the girls saying Kat couldn't be dead because she'd put her lipstick on.

I wonder why they didn't include Danielle among the Mitchells who have been on the show since Kat and Alfie left, especially since she was a biological Mitchell and Danny wasn't.

I liked some of their jokes about how things had changed, especially the joke about Sam.

That stuff with Kat having to sleep with Andy seemed so unpleasant. I've heard those stories weren't very popular.

Poor Nana Moon. I wonder if their mentioning Spencer means he might return at some point.

Was anyone else surprised they didn't use the special to talk about Michael Moon?

I wonder if Kacey Ainsworth not being interviewed in this means that her appearance at the studio might have been for an episode.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Belinda was mentioned on the show a few weeks ago when Stacey said Charlie and Big Mo were off to visit her. So, I think they still remember her, but strangely left her out of the Slater's recap. I guess because she was never a major contract character. I do still think they could have her occasionally pop up to visit Kat and Big Mo in the future though.

Both Kacey Ainsworth and Elaine Lordan (Lynne) were spotted at Elstreet recently. Maybe Charlie dies or they might be just having a family reunion without Zoe? Or it could be nothing or a Holby audition.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I wish they'd have her come in. I think Kirkwood would do a lot with her. She's his type of character.

I guess we can assume that Lynne and Little Mo won't be back, since they haven't announced it (they announced Alan and Blossom fairly quickly) but I'm hoping they might. They need to be there for Charlie's exit. I haven't had a real problem with most of the exits this year but I think that when Charlie goes, then they really should have a few of his other girls there, if they can.