EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm enjoying the show's turnaround and I think this summer has been the best EE's been in years. The episodes just fly by effortlessly with good balance and every scene has a point. They've managed to infuse the show with the energy and urgency that had been missing for a long time.
The Ben recast has turned out to be fantastic (didn't see Callum/Ben coming at all), as has the new Bobby. He is very fascinating to watch. Every scene seems to work and feel important and one I will single out is the lead-up to Gray beating his wife, which made for a most classic EastEnders moment. The way you could tell something was shifting in his behavior towards his wife between leaving the Vic and walking to their house, all leading up to a shocking attack once inside. I think the Taylors have been a very good addition to the canvas overall.
Other improvements is the whole Rainie/Max saga, it was just stalling and they found a way to make it interesting again, I know people hated Stuart but the actor has always been good and his 'friendship' with Rainie is one other thing that works.

• Members

I enjoyed 1989. I liked those short-lived characters too.

I really like Bobby, Tiffany and Ruby. Ruby's probably my favourite but I'd like them to introduce some family for her and set her up with Kush.

I've gone off Ben again, I'm a little sick of the constant Phil/Ben battle. 

• Members

I didn't realize that the BBC had started doing promo materials again for the show. Here's one with Patsy Palmer and Maisie Smith.

As for the show, it is HIGHLY plot driven. Though I can see why some see this as a step-up given the years of really poorly executed, regressive, and just boring material. The day to day writing is a bit better and there does seem to more momentum than usual again. There's also a bit more character interaction that we've not really seen much of - the story is trash, but who would have thought Steve McFadden and Jessie Wallace would be sharing so much screentime together? For years, it was said those two hated each other and the show went out of its way to make sure Phil and Kat only shared limited scenes. 

Oates and Sen are very much in Santer's vein though - they seem very good at publicity and sensationalist plots, but piss poor at character development. But none of this seems to be paying off in the ratings yet

• Members

As for returns that actually work, Patsy Palmer clicks immediately.

The new Ben guy seems decent and all but I can't invest in another surprise gay story when Callum and Ben look exactly alike and Ben seems so different in personality. It's sad.

Edited by Vee