Jump to content
Toups

EastEnders: Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Vee said:

I can't believe they found a way to humiliate Sharon further getting her involved with one of those dumb teen miscreants.

 

At least there's something interesting going on. That and Ruby are the only decent things going on. And Sharon's never been moral compass of Walford anyway so it's in character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sharon story is the reason I started watching again. Something is actually about her (at least for now) in I don't know how long. And although the show isn't setting the world alight, I'm finding it pretty good on the whole. 

 

For example, even though Hayley can barely get through the alphabet, she's surrounded by talented actors all around so its easy for me to ignore her while talented people like Jessie Wallace (back to form after I hated her during most of her second stint until the frenemyship with Janine started) and even the actress who plays her mother, who I find fascinating to watch.

 

Carl, even though Bev is an "evil" character and everything she says the audience is supposed to disagree with, I hope you got some pleasure out of her tearing Jean to shreds. I know I did.

Edited by Bright Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bright Eyes said:

The Sharon story is the reason I started watching again. Something is actually about her (at least for now) in I don't know how long. And although the show isn't setting the world alight, I'm finding it pretty good on the whole. 

 

For example, even though Hayley can barely get through the alphabet, she's surrounded by talented actors all around so its easy for me to ignore her while talented people like Jessie Wallace (back to form after I hated her during most of her second stint until the frenemyship with Janine started) and even the actress who plays her mother, who I find fascinating to watch.

 

Carl, even though Bev is an "evil" character and everything she says the audience is supposed to disagree with, I hope you got some pleasure out of her tearing Jean to shreds. I know I did.

 

I loved it. Everything she said is right. Jean is a horrible mother, and she's shown herself to be a horrible person in the last 3-4 years. I've grown to despise her. 

9 hours ago, Vee said:

I can't believe they found a way to humiliate Sharon further getting her involved with one of those dumb teen miscreants.

 

Honestly it plays much better than it reads. The story taps into a lot of Sharon's insecurities and vulnerabilities instead of humiliating her, and Letitia Dean has good chemistry with Danny Walters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a long and bumpy road, but I do believe Eastenders is watchable again. I've found myself watching daily , and there's been a few interesting plots building up over the past few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MichaelGL said:

It's been a long and bumpy road, but I do believe Eastenders is watchable again. I've found myself watching daily , and there's been a few interesting plots building up over the past few weeks. 

 

To me most of the stories are complete garbage, especially anything with Hayley or about baby Abi. The Ruby story is barely about her and is instead about more of the show hating men and especially hating Martin. Only the Dr. Legg and Tiffany stories have my interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Yorke finally speaks, and the article confirms that Kate Oates' work will start transmitting in February 2019.

 

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/07/eastenders-spoilers-boss-john-yorke-reveals-unforgettable-christmas-and-2019-and-teases-shock-death-8217518/

 

He obviously cites Kat and Sharon as characters he's most proud of this time around. However, I think a lot of what's making this stint work for Kat is down to Jessie Wallace, and not the writing. Both Kat and Stacey appear to have been severely downgraded and watered down in order to prop Hayley. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched in a long long time, but isn't the whole Christmas death thing a little overdone at this point? Why does everything have to be so damn dark on the UK soaps? LOL. That's the only thing that often drives me back away. I get so many love it but it can get depressing .... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, BetterForgotten said:

Trailer for Best Of DVD set, presented by Adam Woodyatt:


It's about damn time they put it on DVD, but I'm seeing that it's merely a full-length clip show? What is this, 2002? If they did full episodes and sold it in the US, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

I haven't watched in a long long time, but isn't the whole Christmas death thing a little overdone at this point? Why does everything have to be so damn dark on the UK soaps? LOL. That's the only thing that often drives me back away. I get so many love it but it can get depressing .... lol

 

The biggest problem isn't so much being depressing as how hollow it is. Meaningless and damaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 11:21 AM, DRW50 said:

 

The biggest problem isn't so much being depressing as how hollow it is. Meaningless and damaging.

 

Well, that too, lol. Sadly watching US soaps I'm used to hollow, meaningless and damaging.

Edited by KMan101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LEGENDERS 

Two of EastEnders’ most iconic characters, Lofty and Mary the Punk, are set to return to Albert Square after 30 years

The roles will be reprised by Tom Watt and Linda Davidson for a storyline next year

EXCLUSIVE
11th December 2018, 10:00 pm
Updated: 11th December 2018, 11:41 pm

CLASSIC EastEnders duo Lofty and Mary The Punk are to return to Albert Square after 30 years.

Tom Watt and Linda Davidson will reprise their roles for a storyline next year that will see another of the soap’s original characters killed off.

5
Tom Watt and Linda Davidson will be back next year to reprise their roles
The pair will be back in Walford after the death of Dr Harold Legg, played by Leonard Fenton, 92.

Mary and Lofty were two of the show’s 26 characters when it launched in 1985 — appearing in episodes three and five respectively.afBrJiSz?format=jpg&name=600x314NINTCHDBPICT000455621726-e1544564538147.

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c35
 

But neither have been seen in Walford since their final appearances in 1988.

Tom, 62, and Linda, 54, are now expected on set at the show’s Elstree Studios, in Hertfordshire, in the coming days.

5
George 'Lofty' Holloway was the barman at The Queen Vic pub

A formal announcement from the BBC about their comeback will then follow.

The pair were seen together in 2015 at celebrations for the 30th anniversary of EastEnders.

 

A soap source told The Sun: “Lofty and Mary The Punk are two of the most memorable characters of the original set of stars.

“It’s staggering to think it’s been more than 30 years since they were last on the Square but soap fans will be delighted to hear of their comeback.

5
Mary was one of the soap's most controversial characters at the time

“Regular viewers will know Dr Legg’s health is bad and it’s thought his death will play out in February next year, and these two will be back around the time of his funeral.”

Mary was seen as one of EastEnders’ most controversial characters at its launch — a former punk rock groupie and drug user whose wild lifestyle put her baby at risk.

Barely able to write, she couldn’t look after her child without her neighbours’ help and earned her living as a prostitute.

Actress Linda, who was born in Canada, dated co-star Nejdet Salih, who played cafe owner and minicab driver Ali Osman.

 

REX FEATURES
5
Linda gave up acting work and now runs a social media agency

She later gave up acting to work in web design and now runs a social media agency.

And George “Lofty” Holloway — the barman at The Queen Vic pub — was hopelessly in love with Michelle Fowler, who also returned last year played by Jenna Russellrather than original actress Susan Tully.

Michelle dumped him at the altar at their first wedding, but they later married after she had Dirty Den’s illegitimate child, Vicki.

Lofty left the soap after their relationship broke down to become a social worker.

In real life, aside from a few small roles, actor Tom moved into sports journalism and regularly appears on radio.

Tom has been busy with sports journalism, including ghostwriting David Beckham's autobiography NINTCHDBPICT000455623555.jpg?w=960NINTCHDBPICT000455612779.jpg?w=960

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...