EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Sharon story is the reason I started watching again. Something is actually about her (at least for now) in I don't know how long. And although the show isn't setting the world alight, I'm finding it pretty good on the whole. 

For example, even though Hayley can barely get through the alphabet, she's surrounded by talented actors all around so its easy for me to ignore her while talented people like Jessie Wallace (back to form after I hated her during most of her second stint until the frenemyship with Janine started) and even the actress who plays her mother, who I find fascinating to watch.

Carl, even though Bev is an "evil" character and everything she says the audience is supposed to disagree with, I hope you got some pleasure out of her tearing Jean to shreds. I know I did.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I loved it. Everything she said is right. Jean is a horrible mother, and she's shown herself to be a horrible person in the last 3-4 years. I've grown to despise her. 

Honestly it plays much better than it reads. The story taps into a lot of Sharon's insecurities and vulnerabilities instead of humiliating her, and Letitia Dean has good chemistry with Danny Walters. 

• Members

To me most of the stories are complete garbage, especially anything with Hayley or about baby Abi. The Ruby story is barely about her and is instead about more of the show hating men and especially hating Martin. Only the Dr. Legg and Tiffany stories have my interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

John Yorke finally speaks, and the article confirms that Kate Oates' work will start transmitting in February 2019.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/07/eastenders-spoilers-boss-john-yorke-reveals-unforgettable-christmas-and-2019-and-teases-shock-death-8217518/

He obviously cites Kat and Sharon as characters he's most proud of this time around. However, I think a lot of what's making this stint work for Kat is down to Jessie Wallace, and not the writing. Both Kat and Stacey appear to have been severely downgraded and watered down in order to prop Hayley. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I haven't watched in a long long time, but isn't the whole Christmas death thing a little overdone at this point? Why does everything have to be so damn dark on the UK soaps? LOL. That's the only thing that often drives me back away. I get so many love it but it can get depressing .... lol

LEGENDERS 

Two of EastEnders’ most iconic characters, Lofty and Mary the Punk, are set to return to Albert Square after 30 years

The roles will be reprised by Tom Watt and Linda Davidson for a storyline next year

EXCLUSIVE
11th December 2018, 10:00 pm
Updated: 11th December 2018, 11:41 pm

CLASSIC EastEnders duo Lofty and Mary The Punk are to return to Albert Square after 30 years.

Tom Watt and Linda Davidson will reprise their roles for a storyline next year that will see another of the soap’s original characters killed off.

Tom Watt and Linda Davidson will be back next year to reprise their roles
The pair will be back in Walford after the death of Dr Harold Legg, played by Leonard Fenton, 92.

Mary and Lofty were two of the show’s 26 characters when it launched in 1985 — appearing in episodes three and five respectively.

Please register in order to view this content

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c35

But neither have been seen in Walford since their final appearances in 1988.

Tom, 62, and Linda, 54, are now expected on set at the show’s Elstree Studios, in Hertfordshire, in the coming days.

George 'Lofty' Holloway was the barman at The Queen Vic pub

A formal announcement from the BBC about their comeback will then follow.

The pair were seen together in 2015 at celebrations for the 30th anniversary of EastEnders.

A soap source told The Sun: “Lofty and Mary The Punk are two of the most memorable characters of the original set of stars.

“It’s staggering to think it’s been more than 30 years since they were last on the Square but soap fans will be delighted to hear of their comeback.

Mary was one of the soap's most controversial characters at the time

“Regular viewers will know Dr Legg’s health is bad and it’s thought his death will play out in February next year, and these two will be back around the time of his funeral.”

Mary was seen as one of EastEnders’ most controversial characters at its launch — a former punk rock groupie and drug user whose wild lifestyle put her baby at risk.

Barely able to write, she couldn’t look after her child without her neighbours’ help and earned her living as a prostitute.

Actress Linda, who was born in Canada, dated co-star Nejdet Salih, who played cafe owner and minicab driver Ali Osman.

REX FEATURES
Linda gave up acting work and now runs a social media agency

She later gave up acting to work in web design and now runs a social media agency.

And George “Lofty” Holloway — the barman at The Queen Vic pub — was hopelessly in love with Michelle Fowler, who also returned last year played by Jenna Russellrather than original actress Susan Tully.

Michelle dumped him at the altar at their first wedding, but they later married after she had Dirty Den’s illegitimate child, Vicki.

Lofty left the soap after their relationship broke down to become a social worker.

In real life, aside from a few small roles, actor Tom moved into sports journalism and regularly appears on radio.

Tom has been busy with sports journalism, including ghostwriting David Beckham's autobiography