Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know if its after every episode but the one I saw that was uploaded had the after credits scene so I was shocked but pleasantly so....

The ending of this storyline was kinda anticlimatic. I guess Hollyoaks didn't think it was necessary to kill off any more characters but I feel like the whole thing was pointless. Patrick's secret was never revealed. Dirk never really got any type of closure with Will. And poor Tom is still locked up like an animal.

I would have preferred Will to die but the last scene with him was very haunting....

• Members

I'm not sure. I thought that church wasn't even in the village. It's been so long ago.

That's the thing about all these exits. As a result of Doug and Leanne's deaths, Dodger's the only one left alive to know that Texas' murderer has finally been caught.

As for Anna, Dirk should be more torn up over knowing that his son killed his own mother. I think there's another chance for Patrick's secret to be revealed in the future. I think it'll be connected to Sienna and her kidnapping of Tom.

That poor boy, really thinks that the cops came after him like that, due to Darren's "death".

• Members

Lovin Linds and Freddie right now......Finn losing it was very believable and I'm sorry but John Paul was wrong for how he approached Fine and utterly stupid. He should have know better. Doesn't make what Finn will do right but I think JP should take a little ownership for how awkward he made Finn feel.

Poor Phoebes.....

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

*I've been loving Phoebe lately and I'm completely pissed at the way Vincent treated her ( giving her false hope and all). Disrespectful jerk.

*Anyone pitying Sienna and her wish to simply have a family?

*Freddie! I love his character. However, if the sexes were switched with Fred/Joe/Lindsey, you can be guaranteed that Freddie would be hated by the audience.

*The JP storyline is becoming uncomfortable really quickly...

• Members

Can't believe I haven't given HollyOaks much of a chance before but I'm watching it and really enjoying it. I started with the April 29th episode the other day and am already into the end of July. I'll be caught up likely this week. I like that it's quick and there's cliffhangers constantly. The acting is alright, the plots were easy to get into, as were the characters. Very easy, without doing much research.

I am aware of who's gone by now, from when I was watching. I had to start with the first week of May/end of April because I saw a video of Texas falling slow-mo out of a window on her wedding day. I knew I had to watch this show.

I do kind of like/dislike at the same time, how there seems to be all of these crazies around. Sienna (I sort of love her, but they were writing Nancy really pathetically at the time) is definitely crazy. Mostly love her. Patrick is creepy, and I sort of hate seeing what he's doing to Maxine, although I'm not totally spoiled to them, though I did read she and Dodger hook up? I think Patrick's gone too?

And I'm SO tired come July of hearing about damn Texas and her murder. Girl was STUPID. Bye.

I'm sorry to see Ash is going to bite it soon, along with Doug and Leanne. I liked all of them. At least slimy Will is getting off my screen soon too. Wish he'd take his pretty but awful actor brother Dodger with him. All he does is cry and get angry and drink. Yawn. He is pretty tho.

I really like what I've seen of John Paul and have already looked up videos of his past story with Craig. Meh to the Danny romance but he turns out married? And Ste's father? LOL. I love how outlandish this show is.

I love Gillian Taylforth joining the show as Sandy. Makes me wish they never killed Kathy on EE. She belongs on EE as their matriarch but I'll gladly have her on HollyOaks. I'm blah to her boys though. They're alright but not particularly interesting. The younger one, Jason, seems to be the most likable. I've read Joe cheats on Lindsey? Blah, I ike her. You could see where the show is going with them right from the start.

I'm enjoying Paul's over the top breakdown over the dead Lynsey. LOVE LOVE Mercedes. I'm aware he's done for soon. The McQueens are hilarious. They don't seem to know what to do with Theresa at all. Also sorry to see Myra's exit coming soon as well :(

Phoebe/George/Vincent took me a little by surprise but I should have seen the George/Vincent angle coming. I like Phoebe a lot but she can be a little annoying at times.

If I hear Sinead and her accent shout KATY one more time ... I like her though and it was interesting they put her with Ste (I've read all up on his history), who they seem to write differently on a regular basis. One day he's angry and beating someone, the next day he's cleaning the house for Sinead ... then he's coming on to Doug, but wait he's yelling at Doug. Oy.

I'm SO glad Tony finally told Diane (at this point remember I'm at the end of July) about the cancer. I like Diane a lot, except when she's nasty, it does her no favors, and Tony is alright but the cancer thing seems like they don't know what else to do with him. I do like Cindy being there for him, love her too, and her bitch of a daughter.

What happened to Callum? He was shot by Robbie and in the hospital and he's been off my screen for weeks along with Martha? I know they both exit (such a shame the Kanes were axed, IMO, wasted potential with all of them), and Callum exits on that Later show?

Anyway, some rambled thoughts from watching episodes from May, June and July 2013.

Sort of not looking forward to the John Paul/Finn story. I just can't buy that this kid I just saw fishing with Tony will end up doing what he will do. I guess I'll have to see what's currently happening to judge, but I'm sure it will be a heck of a story.

I feel like this show punishes the good characters beyond belief (is there REALLY a need to see John Paul gay bashed and assaulted?) and if they do something wrong they're punished. Like Maxine's abuse by Patrick. It seems like just a lot of ugliness, but I also like that the UK soaps are generally more gritty and not afraid to pretty much do anything.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

This particular soap is a sham in that respect. They will "tackle tough subjects" and make sure there's no followup or exploration. Someone is bullied into nearly killing themselves, and they just go offcamera for a while, and when they return, they're BFF with the people who nearly killed them and then taunted them from their hospital beds. Someone is beaten up by their boyfriend, over and over, and it's true love, it's the most special love ever.

• Members

KMan, your thoughts are valid, except for you hating on my Dodger and Texas. I have waxed poetic many times about how they are a modern day super-couple and were the best couple of 2012! I expect a heartfelt hand-written apology acknowledging your heinous and nearly unforgivable actions against them, throwing yourself at my mercy!

Also, Patrick is still around for the foreseeable future. I don't know why you thought otherwise. Him and Sienna have been breaths of fresh air for this show, especially the fabulous Sienna. She is absolute perfection. I'm completely immersed in the Maxine story, especially as the writing is actually taking it's time there. Maxine is another great addition.

As for the Roscoe's, Joe is my favourite (he's so, so sexy and actually talented, bringing an earnestness and easy likability to him without just being some pig headed dolt, also known as alcoholic Miles de Souza/Miles de Bouza (the best nickname ever), on Emmerdale. Freddie is well written, but is portrayed by an awful actor who makes him a hammy joke. Robbie is a sociopath, but the actor is experienced and talented enough to make you (or at least me) not completely hate him. Ziggy has the whole Rudolph Valentino romanticism/playboy down, but him and Jason aren't strong actors either, not yet anyway.

You will hate Vincent soon if you don't already. One of the worst creatures ever created. And that horrible skin ... unacceptable!

The writing for Danny is infuriating. He's written so sympathetically without any reason as to why we should be sympathetic. He's a selfish dick!

I also was/am extremely put off by the dismantling of the Kanes. There were no male characters like Callum on the canvas and Martha was brilliant.

The rape story is moreso being thrown at John Paul to give something meaty for James Sutton to do, which I have no problem with because I've always been a huge fan of his. I have every faith the build-up to the rape will be great, getting Finn to the dark place they need him to be at. It's how they handle the aftermath that Kirkwood has fallen flat before, like with Esther's bullying.

Of the Hollyoaks Blast deaths, Leanne was the most devastating to me. I liked Doug with Texas/Leanne, but otherwise he outstayed his welcome. His exit should have been when he and Ste broke up at the airport.

I like her sometimes, but on a whole Sinead is just a mess. Kirkwood has tried too hard with shoehorning her as some major lead character, that it just falls flat a bit. Your issues about Theresa are interesting, because I feel Kirkwood has had Sinead take her well established place on the canvas, unfortunately. Plus, Sinead's relationship with Ste is a sad retread of the great friendship he had with Justin Burton, that got cut short too soon because of Chris Fountain's exit. Thankfully, Kirkwood has completely breathed new life into Ste by kind of pressing the restart button him without regressing him, though I strongly disagree with Carl's stance on his relationship with Brendan.

• Members

Yeah, I'm getting that, and seeing that, and it's .... ugh. But there's a lot about the show that's actually entertaining. It's an easy 23 minutes, lol, but the ugliness ... and yes, people do just disappear. I thought GH was bad but HollyOaks seems to follow that "story rotation" but IMO it's probably budget and how much they can use people.