Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Members

LOL I'm like that too whenever they play a classic Y&R score or cue, I tune out the dialogue mostly because i'm either shocked or in awe (or both LOL) that they are actually playing a classic piece of Y&R music.

I really like the show's softer piano "ballad" music they use to play for quiet tender or heart wrenching scenes. These 2 clips feature two versions of one of my favorite piano pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfORgdUcI-s# (This one begins at 3:51)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_keWalg18 (This one at 3:12)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Music Supervisors = Music Directors? Still sad to see them go. I was always like their music direction (again, pre-JFP).

Speaking of music direction, what's up with Paul Glass playing Sonny/Brenda's theme for any couple now? That's just wrong.

• Members

Yes, essentially the same thing. They're the ones who take direction from the producers and tell the composers what to produce and how they want it produced. Y&R's had a number of music supervisors over the years (Jez Davidson being the longest serving one), but Mike Dobson's been there for over a decade at this point.

Dobson and Harrison talk about their process in this article on the Sony site.

I knew the moment they used Sonny and Brenda's theme for Starr and Michael something was very wrong.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Administrator
"Y&R has long been known for its music. So much so that it's "often described as a character unto itself,"

It's not anymore. sad.png

I haven't liked much of Paul Glass' music direction at GH which is disappointing because I thought OLTL's music direction was pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This is a travesty. Y&R's music is legendary. JFP, as usual, is focusing on all the wrong things, while lying to Y&R fans initially that she was only going to tinker with the show. The woman is a disaster as an EP. Josh is no better as a head writer. Both should be gone yesterday. But Steve Kent from Sony cast his lot with them. He's not going to give them the ax, unless his own job is threatened. Incompetence reigns supreme!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I guess JFP stole him away.   He and RC Cates have got to stop using this song for practically EVERY Avery/Dylan scene.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v8W68a9QC6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's also too many songs being played.  It's like they're scoring for a primetime show.   I think today's episode had about 4 songs.