Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

RC was the music director since the early 90's but only started composing for GH in 2005. JFP will probably also bring on FOJ, Dominic Messenger to compose. I wonder if DM is already composing for Y&R because "Upbeat Rock 1" sounds a lot like what's airing now.

http://music4pictures.com/?page_id=20

Y&R losing its music composers hurts a lot because the music was such a staple of the show (aside from a few bumps in the road: LML's reign and most recently JFP's tenure).

• Members

I'd wait for confirmation, as that guy has been writing similar articles for months now (clearly on Maria's payroll). If true, does "entire" refer to directors, composers, or both? In any case the show would still own and have access to music library they produced.

If true (I'd still wait for a more legitimate and less bias source), I wonder if they were let go because they couldn't produce good contemporary cues (which they might be going for). As their work on B&B proved a few years ago, Kurtz and Allocco can't do that kind of music well at all. But I do not see the point in firing them outright.

I do hope Jennifer Johns being fired is true though, the wardrobe has been a mess for years now.

• Members

Things like this annoy me. You can't convince me that Jill truly thought Y&R was in such bad shape that she needed to fire pretty much the entire directing team, the music team, wardrobe, etc. Some of these things perhaps, but considering she's cleaning house it seems obvious it's more of an ego thing. She didn't take over Days of Our Lives for heavens sake. Next I'm sure some of the long running writers will go as well. People lie and say Josh Griffith is a Y&R vet, but he wrote under LML and then with MAB and both times the material was panned. That does not a Y&R vet make.

• Members

I'm not buying that article.

It was written by someone who obviously has an ax to grind, and it all comes across as ridiculous. I'm no defender of JFP, but hyperbole and drama like that doesn't help anything....it's impossible to know what the truth is.

Josh Griffith is having meltdowns? WTF? Any confirmation of this? Does anyone know what it even MEANS?

I actually think the music has improved in the past couple months. The modern stuff isn't getting in the way and is used sparingly, and the old, classic cues are being used to good effect.

• Members

They also said the ranch wasn't being rebuilt - and in today's US episode, Victor's gift to Nikki was the new layout of what will be the new ranch. Why would they do this if they had no intention of rebuilding it (and the rebuilding initially came Angelica McDaniel's mouth at CBS).

That source is not and has never been credible. I'd rather wait until I see it for myself in the credits.

• Members

I think they've been going for a mix of classic and new, but the newer stuff isn't that well-structured (Kurtz and Allocco were never able to do contemporary stuff very well). Brent Boyd even said on Twitter a few weeks ago their goal with the music was the keep the older cues, but insert more modern cues for "freshness" into the mix. Whatever that means.

I think the cue at the end of Darn's second clip was used a few weeks ago in a Sharon/Adam scene (can't remember the date of that episode).

The one where Victoria slaps Victor at the end is still used in bits and pieces.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Sadly, even when they bother using the older cues, it falls flat. The music is only epic when the writing is good and it supports it; otherwise, I tune out the dialogue and pay more attention to the music lol

That being said, I rather the classic cues, even if they fall flat, than "modern" sh*t.