Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I swear there was one point on AMC, probably a few years ago early in JHC's tenure, that the music was so loud that it drowned out the dialogue, and it played constantly throughout a scene. If you watch some of the youtube episode from the 80s, the music was very light-hearted and romantic. A lot of the music now tends to be very melodramatic, which I never thought was a good fit for the show.

• Members

I so agree aML. Y&R will always have THE BEST background music ever used on a soap. No other ones will ever be up to par with Y&R music wise. I think B&B is maybe close in second, but Y&R's music alone can just be a show! Ha, whenever they use their old cues i always struggle to pay attention to the scenes going on, because i can't help but just be in awe over hearing a classic cue being played. I got like that today actually when they did the scenes with Daniel and Phyllis, and they had that old keyboard (I think) cue playing. I too have noticed them using the old cues a lot more. At first i thought it was because the episodes with Sally McDonald as producer have started, but Paul Rauch is still listed as Producer. Now unless the producers have no control over that kind of stuff, I would love it if Sally made it possible for them to start using the old background music again for every scene. I think it would be a nice little throwback to the older fans. Plus i can't stand most of the current Y&R cues.

I'm sorry but i think GH has the worst background music right now.... Then again i guess it ties along to their mob crap. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

If you like gothic/suspenseful music, you must watch Friday's US Y&R episode. Since I never heard it before on Y&R, I think it's newly created material for the Atkinson Family. It went really well with the setting too. Some of it reminded me a bit of Sunset Beach's Terror Island. I couldn't help but smile throughout the Winters/Atkinson scenes just listening to the music. LOL

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well... it's been awhile since this thread was posted in, and it deserves not to be buried.... so here is my NEW contribution to the youtube Y&R background music library. Here is the full orchestrated version of the Y&R theme that was used in big watershed moments from 73-98. I was SO hoping to hear this when Liz died, but alas, my hopes were dashed in that debacle of a deathbed scene.

Edited by alphanguy74

• 1 month later...
  • Members

alphanguy, can you please post the "Katherine's Theme" music from the old Y&R soundtrack? I love that piece. I liked it when they played it during the 1975 episode that use to be up and when Katherine is freaking out over learning Jill is her daughter in 2003.

Edited by yr9190

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm so glad someone finally psoted the whole thing. I listen to it regularly on my turntable, but nobody seems to have one anymore, so it's nice that these cna be heard by the majority of people. I'm incredibly tantalized by that list. Where did it come from? And do they ahve any of those clips, and just haven't posted them yet? I'm dying to know.