Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Members

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I forgot about this thread, lol.

There were some scores I liked but I think there were too many from the last 5 years. I wish it would have had some more scores from the 90s and early 2000s.

Edited by Sindacco

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • Members

:unsure: Did any of you guys know B&B released an album of background music/scores to iTunes?! I really hope this signals a trend for other soaps to do so. I stumbled upon the information on the B&B Page on CBS.com.

I'm listening to it right now and it starts out with "Mother's Plea," also known by many as the cue they used for Storm's Death.

After previewing it(to make sure that my chain wasn't being yanked and that the original music was actual scores and not original songs), I went ahead and purchased it(I know, surprise, surprise!). One of my alltime favorites that I always refer to as "The Scandal Cue" is on this CD as well(titled "Black Night Blues."). Some other recognizable pieces are on here, including the utterly gagworthy "Rick and Steffy's Theme." There's something at the very end called the "Bold and Beautiful Waltz," which is a fun, slower arrangement of the main title theme(that I think they often use in establishing shots of Forrester weddings and bashes). I wish the original main title theme was on it instead, but hey...I'm happy with what I have.

It doesn't have the punchy suspense cues, just the more emotional ones. And it's stuff that's more recent, but aside from Jackie M's Theme and maybe Rick/Steffy's Kenny G barf-fest, nothing from the more recent. At least from what I can tell. I'm surprised they even released these.

Highly recommended for fans of the show and fans of background music. Hopefully, they'll feel compelled to do another iTunes collection down the road with other stuff.

• Members

Bought it - actually the first time that I bought anything from ITunes - and love it.

It's worth the money, they really produced long scores and not just those short snippets like on Y&R's soundtrack (which is still good). Each track is about 3 minutes and makes great listening, I particularly like the modern scores for Jackie and the Rick&Steffy theme. They are just sooooo raunchy. LOL!

However, they left out the Ridge&Caroline theme (the Ridge & Taylor one as well) which is downright criminal because it is one of their best scores. I was also surprised the title theme is NOT on this recording but maybe it was not composed by Allocco & Kurth alone?

• Members
Yep. This collection broke my iTunes cherry too.

I would have loved having the closing title theme on this, particularly the first one with the dramatic saxophone bridge. The "waltz" version of theme is good too.

Jackie's Theme is okay, but really?! You like the disaster known as Rick and Steffy's Low Rent Kenny G Bump and Grind? :blink: I'm just happy Mother's Plea and Black Night Blues are in this collection.

I'm just stunned they actually did this. I guess enough people requested a collection of themes or scores or they at least saw enough interest from hardcore fans to do it(given that DAYS just recently did one through LaLaLand Records). I hope they do another one with some of their other cues, their more dramatic/suspenseful stuff.

• Members

I doubt they do one with the drama scores, GH and Y&R both excluded them as well when they released they soundtracks in the 90s. My guess is that the target group is woman (once again) and they think they'll only be interested in the romance department. Maybe if sales are ok (an ITunes release must be dirt cheap so each sale should mean $$$ for the show), we'll get another one.

Ah, c'mon: that Rick & Steffy theme has such a nice rhytm. It's not artistic in any way but has i's appeal. I wanted to convert that Jackie M-theme as my ringtune but ITunes totally cut my plans. I always get some error message - and yet Apple is always considered superior. Whatever. (I still love my IPhone though)

• Members
That's a very good point...I never thought about them targeting the female demo. I'm just surprised I am just now finding out about it...according to iTunes, the CD's been out since June. :blink:

And you're right about the money meaning the sales go towards the show: the CD was released by BBL Distribution and not a third party company, which is smart on their part. The show and the artists get the money and no one else.

The only cellphone I've had success with modding ringtones for my cellphone was my Motorola Razr, because they let you use PhoneTools to edit and upload your own ringtones.

And I'll never accept Rick and Steffy's theme. I remember the first time I heard it, I was like, "You canNOT be serious. Really?!"

• Members

I had no idea they did a B&B soundtrack! I'm downloading it right now, even though I did only recognize 2-3 cues... Maybe if I listen to them in their entirety there will be more. I am disappointed they don't have the more interesting stuff in it... I just don't get why intrigue/business/etc scores are not selected. But B&B was my second most-wanted soundtrack release... now, if only they do Y&R and put the really good stuff on it. Now THAT would be great.