Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Members

This is ANOTHER piece that is SORELY SORELY missed on this show today. It's another Winn/Todd/McGinnis piece... the one that starts at 3:30. such BEAUTIFULLY shot scenes!! And although this clips starts out with "Lost Hope", the piece that begins at 3:30 was a STAPLE for so many many years. Damn I miss it. Looking at these productions values in these scenes it makes you realize how far this show has fallen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZkpEaBKVCU

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The cue at 7:25 is another one from the movie soundtrack that was used all over the place on Y&R... and one of the few that has been used in the last 10 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widx3Dtp4Pg

Now in this clip... the piece that begins at :58 is another frequently used one that was primarily used with Hasselhoff's Snapper, but not exclusively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6xxue1h-4&feature=related

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

So, apparently, the track listing has been released for the DAYS soundtrack. Holding out hope that it will be a good one, but it doesn't look promising. Most, if not all, of this stuff looks very 2000's to me. :(

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Our-Lives-Ken-Corday/dp/tracks/B002ZXZJE2/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Disc: 1

1. Theme from Days of our Lives (:35)

2. An Everlasting Love (2:36)

3. Discovery (1:04)

4. Who Is John Black? (1:07)

5. Trying to Remember (2:40)

6. Veil of Sadness (1:46)

7. A Place Called Home (2:07)

8. The Promise (1:54)

9. Office Affair (1:47)

10. The Love Cage (1:39)

11. Desire (2:09)

12. Shadowplay (1:44)

13. Fever Pitch (1:52)

14. In the Heat of the Night (1:37)

15. First Kiss (1:47)

16. Innocence (1:34)

17. Broken Heart (2:15)

18. John & Marlena (2:18)

19. Theme for a Princess (3:02)

20. Skyline (2:15)

21. Smoky Jazz Club (1:01)

22. Patch (1:46)

23. May I Have This Dance? (1:56)

24. On Bended Knee (2:54)

25. Lay Beside Me (1:48)

26. Colleen & Santo (1:48)

27. Sunset Lullaby (2:16)

28. For We Shall Meet Again (1:59)

Disc: 2

1. Hitman (1:31)

2. The Attack (:42)

3. Execution (:20)

4. Stan's Revenge (1:01)

5. Addictions & Lies (1:40)

6. Slow Suicide (2:25)

7. Lethal Injection / Paralyzed (1:33)

8. Watching You (:41)

9. Kiss of Death (1:23)

10. The Manipulation of EJ Dimera (1:17)

11. Blaze (1:36)

12. The Choice (1:00)

13. Reminiscence (1:45)

14. The Return of Stefano Dimera (1:05)

15. Searching for Colleen Brady (1:45)

16. After Dark (1:59)

17. Premonition of Evil (2:25)

18. Break In (1:05)

19. The Morgue (1:21)

20. A Way Out (:39)

21. The Ticking Time Bomb (1:51)

22. Run Like Hell (1:38)

23. The Search Begins (2:20)

24. Fear in the Night (2:20)

25. In the Presence of a Killer (:41)

26. Salem Stalker's Revenge (:50)

27. On the Run (1:46)

28. Something is Going On (1:32)

29. Mysterious Stan (1:49)

30. Into the Night (1:52)

31. Trapped (:28)

32. Hostage (1:06)

33. An Unplanned Escape (1:40)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh, Gosh... synth is never better than real instruments, unless it's in a new age or disco/dance song. The Piano part is the best part of the DOOL original theme. Realistically, it would sound a TON better if they had to original master, and you heard it in non-compressed, full stereo... the difference would be like the leap from AM radio to your Stereo system at home. But here's a tune that I don't think has been posted in here, and is one of may favorites... and if I'm not mistaken, it just may be the ONLY piece of soap opera background music that was released as a single, and made it into the billboard top 20!!

From Dark Shadows:

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

So Sindacco:

Did you get the CD?

I ordered it at a local record shop yesterday(got it for five dollars cheaper there than at Amazon AND I feel great about supporting a local business!). I listened to it last night and the first CD wasn't all that bad, but I wasn't really impressed. It sounded like cues that they may have used once or not at all. Most of the tracks on the first CD were way better than the typical crap they play in the scenes, but I really wanted this to be far more nostalgic for me than what it was. There was only one Reilly 1.0 era cue that I recognized("Innocence"). And that was actually a cue I enjoyed. I am pretty sure all the others were 2000's era. Which is sad, because other than maybe a few people, no one really gave a crap about DAYS all last decade.

And the second CD had each track flowing into one another. If I actually cared about ANY of those storylines or thought any of the music was worth a damn, I'd be upset because of that. Each track should have been separated from the other. And could they not be bothered to do a collection of music from The Possession storyline? I'm pretty sure that wasn't Marty Davich. As cheesy as that music was, it's a storyline people remember and recognize and would easily be able to identify.

It's a good collectors item for film students without a composer and those typical diehard DAYS-ers that will buy anything with the show's logo on it. But I was, as I predicted, left underwhelmed.

Hopefully, the purchases will warrant La La Land to reach out to other soaps to release their scores as well.

• Members

Not exactly!

They are all separate tracks on the second CD, but they all bleed into each other. In the notes, it says they did it that way to make you feel as though it was a continuous story.

Late March/Early April? Are you international or something? :unsure:

You'll love "Innocence" if you were looking forward to Reilly I era cues. They used to play that alot. The scene I most remember hearing that cue is the moment where Bo tells Hope that Marlena and Stefano are presumed dead(it was the same episode where Sami gets caught for the first time at the Kiriakis Mansion, before she and Austin are set to leave on a cruise).

Also, there are a ton of pictures of the cast in scenes.

I think you'll be pleased. It seems like they avoided alot of the cheese, at least in the first CD. Some of the stuff I'd never even heard before, but that was easy for the ears. I was still disappointed and underwhelmed.

• Members

Oh okey. But is "Innocence" the only one from Reilly 1 era? Because on the 1998 soundtrack they left out alot of my favorite cues so I was hoping they would be on this one.

I live in Sweden so it's international shipping. I could have chosen a faster shipping and gotten it after 4-5 days but that would have cost much, much more.

• Members

I'm afraid so. And I was a faithful viewer from about 1995-1999. I would have known for sure if anything else from Reilly I was there. But maybe you have a more keen ear. Certainly not the cue I wanted(the one they used to play during Bo/Hope scenes in the 90's).

When I get home, I'll let you know everything else they said regarding the second CD.

Edited by bellcurve

• Members

A couple of previews/samples are now on the LaLaLand website.

http://lalalandrecords.com/DOOL.html

And here's what the CD insert says about the second disc:

"This disc has been carefully mixed and assembled to convey six mini storylunes. You will notice that most of the tracks have been blended with the track before or after. For instance, if you skip to track 3 "Execution," you will notice the track has already started. This is meant to be like this, for it enables you to appreciate the composers craft at creating atmosphere and bring you into the storylines created by the names of the tracks.

The storyline tracks are denoted below:

1-6: Sami's Revenge/Stan

7: Lethal Injection of Stefano DiMera.

8-11: Stalking and Manipulation of EJ DiMera.

14-15: Stefano and Colleen Brady

16-22: The Morgue

23-27: Searching for the Salem Stalker

29-33: Kidnapping and Escape"

• Members

I downloaded the previews/samples and I recognized all of them.

Who Is John Black?:

Played in early 2008 when they found out that John was alive.

First Kiss:

I recognize it but I can't say for sure when it used to play.

Theme for a Princess:

Played during the Princess Gina Storyline in 1999.

Hitman:

Played back in 2005 during the Stan/Iraq story but I think I also heard it in a recent episode, it was either in Dec 09 or Jan 10.

Kiss of Death:

This one is really weird because I recognized two different cues that blended together in this one. One of the cues played during the Meteor Shower in 2002 and the other one with the female "Aaaahaaaaaaa" is from the Princess Gina Storyline.

Something is Going On:

This is a pretty new one, I would say it started sometime last year.

About the CD insert you posted, this means that on some of the tracks we won't hear the whole score? Nope, I don't like it.

And I have to comment on the last part: "This is meant to be like this, for it enables you to appreciate the composers craft at creating atmosphere and bring you into the storylines created by the names of the tracks."

I say bullshit on that. I would've appreciated if they didn't mix it like that, it actually ruins the atmosphere. Of course I haven't heard it yet but to me it feels like that. But when I get the CD I will listen to all of it and then judge. I just got an e-mail from Amazon, the delivery date is March 26.