Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

I kind of liked Ken. But I was never that into Frank & Jill as a couple. Still, there are some cheesy moments to it. And, as intelligent and sophisticated a woman as Jill was presented, her justifications for some things boggle the mind sometimes. Not just with KGJ but in her relationships with Frank & Seneca as well.
As for Barry, wasn't that crazy about him but he did have a genuine love for Ken, his best friend. That'll come out more, and his involvement in that story (if not others), will show an honorable side to him.

Edited by applcin

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I thought Siobhan's infatuation with Jack, while Sarah was still in the role, made her too dependent on him...she looked to him for guidance and his opinion mattered more to her than it should have. And even though the sibling rivalry with Mary wasn't taken to the level of actively trying to seduce Jack (at least while Mary was still alive), she was more interested in being Jack's confidante and being close to him than in seeing things from Mary's view or trying to help their marital situation.

• Members

You're welcome!

Yeah, I hadn't remembered that he played two different roles on RH.

I enjoyed Michael Levin and Sarah Felder working together, and although Siobhan was younger and more immature, there were times Jack would talk to Siobhan as if she was a child and that bothered me.

• Members

(Reverend) Ann Gillespie (Siobhan #2) reading parts of her recent Memoir and Personal essay she wrote for her MFA in Creative Non-Fiction

At approx. 
8:37

Ann mentions that her friend Randall (Edwards - Delia#3 ) was one of the people with her when she (Ann) had an abortion in 1980.

Randall must have been a friend of hers before RH, since Ann didn't join the show until 1981. I wonder if Randall helped get her the RH audition...

17:16 
Beverly Hills 90210 audition & other stories 

23:22 
about wanting to become a priest

25:20 
Reprising her 90210 role

Edited by safe

• Members

Allright, Ken George Jones is starting to grow on me but I think it's mainly due to Nancy Addison. Jill is so obviously smitten with and charmed by him - I can't seem to help but join her. It's going to be an odd summer for me as I've been dying to see Jill and Frank together for what now? 5 years????

I'm still not into Barry Ryan though. We'll see......

• Members

The Ann Gillespie video was fascinating.  By the time we got to 1981 on SoapNet, I can't say I enjoyed Siobhan, but I'm not sure how any actress could have done a better job playing the character as she was being written/directed, especially during the writers' strike.  Alas, there was no other soap heroine like Sarah Felder's Siobhan, and I suspect there was a mandate to water her down.

That said, I don't think I even realized AG was the same actress who had played Kelly's mother on 90210, and I will say she created a completely different -- and very memorable character -- there (I even went back and watched her big episode on Hulu).  And she didn't seem to be playing herself in either role.  So, clearly, she's a phenomenal actress.

• Members

@safe, A friend and I were discussing The Doctors/ Ryan's Hope connections. Here are a bunch...

Michael Hawkins   TDs  Officer Bennett(?Burnett)     RH's Frank Ryan

Earl Hindman                 dirty Detective Roy Griffith                 Bobby Reid

Gloria Cromwell             Nurse Cromwell                            Georgia Rothschild

Bernard Barrow              Reporter                                        Johnny Ryan

Faith Catlin                      Candy Striper                                 Dr. Faith Coleridge

Nancy Barrett                  Nurse Kathy Ryker (Bellini)             Dr. Faith Coleridge

Patrick Horgan                 Dr. John Morrison                         Thatcher Ross

Ariane Munker             temp Greta Powers                          Amanda Kirkland

The rest I'm going to copy/paste from our conversation...

John Rixley Moore was Robin Bake on RH and was later James Langley, who ended up being related to some important characters.James Sloyan (Al Jarrett) was later Lt. Mitch B ronsky on RH.

NanA Tucker (Visitor) was Nancy Feldman on RH before she was Darcy Collins on TD. William Hickey was Monsignor Farrell after he was Tennessee Eddie. David O'Brien was Peter Duvall and Charles Whitehall on RH. Roy Poole and Kathleen Widdoes both appeared in the anthology days (63-64), before they were the insane couple Neil and Una MacCurtain on RH. Jonathon Hoigan was Dr. Jerry Dancy and later Mitchell Miles on RH. Martin Shakar was Harvey Miller on RH and Dr.Jonathon (Shapiro) Speer), Sara's boss to be on TD

Lydia Bruce's husband Leon B. Stevens was Judge Leonard Morris and Judge Patterson on RH.He's Clark Bowman on TD. Another role for David O'Brien.. Dr. David Newman.George Guidall (Harry Auger) was Dr. Harold Moss on RH.David Hurst (Dr. Lantz) was Dr. Nelson on RH, and Gloria Irizarry(Nurse) was Mrs. Santos.

Lydia Bruce's husband Leon B. Stevens was Judge Leonard Morris and Judge Patterson on RH.He's Clark Bowman on TD. Another role for David O'Brien.. Dr. David Newman.George Guidall (Harry Auger) was Dr. Harold Moss on RH.David Hurst (Dr. Lantz) was Dr. Nelson on RH, and Gloria Irizarry(Nurse) was Mrs. Santos.

I'm sure there are screencaps out there from TD, I'll see what I can find. Meanwhile, here's Gloria Cromwell and Patrick Horgan

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by slick jones

• Members

The guy in that ad even looks like a Pat. 

If you add in some self-righteous bitching about Jill and Delia and reminders of how hard done by she is, this could actually be Faith.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks for sharing that, Slick! You are right -- a lot of actors appeared on both shows.

Sam McMurray and Franc Luz did, too.

Thanks, Carl. I think Karen did another Woolite commercial a few years later.

Edited by safe