GH/RH: Claire Labine

• Members

I was just watching old clips of GH on YouTube and came across the BRILLIANT scenes where Stone died. That was the very first episode I ever saw of GH, when I was a little kid, and I loved Robin and Lucky and all the characters who mourned Stone.

Claire Labine was responsible for the story. The woman is just brilliant. Anyone like her work on Ryan's Hope? The character of Delia was superb, and Mary's death was tragic and beautifully touching. Anyone else have great Claire Labine memories? :)

(And no, I haven't forgotten that her OLTL and GL days were panned. But why were they disliked? What did she do? I am curious)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My favorite time in Port Charles by far. Labine Gems-

Felicia finding out Maxie got BJ's heart, and slides down the wall. That whole storyline was GH's finest hour as far as i am concerned.

Lucy Coe carrying Serena for Scotty and Dominique, and how much it changed her for the better as a person.

Mary Mae Ward and Edward share a secret, and her relationship with Laura Spencer.

Brenda and Sonny

Stone's Storylines, his love for Robin, learning he has AIDS, and how it brings so many people together for him and Robin. It's heartbreaking watching him slowly get worse, but touching so many people.

What I miss the most is that every character had motivation, and you could have someone Like Felicia who loved Robin, and was very close to Stone, but she could also be investigating Sonny and it did not make her "wrong", just herself. Sonny did not rule the town then, he played his part, but the show had many stories to tell.

• Members

Those were some great times in Port Charles. Stories just didn't revolve around a couple of characters but the Whole Town. Those stories drew you in. I still remember the Maxie getting BJ's heart story. I have seen some clips of that online and I still get choked up about it. One thing I definitely miss from those days are the Nurses Ball. I really wish they would bring those back.

• Members

Claire's GH was GH's last golden era, hands down...

The show was never the same after she left. She set so much up for Guza to exploit during his first stint and he did. In a way, she laid the groundwork for a lot of the characters we see today, the only difference is Guza hacked it all to pieces.

• Members

When Claire Labine was at GL, she was micromanaged, so a lot of the stuff she wanted to do didn't get done. Some individual scenes were well written, but the plot focus was bad. The worst thing she was responsible was the gun going off in the Bauer House which for some was really offensive.

• Members

^ Really? Never? What a loss to Daytime. A Claire Labine is what GH needs right now.

In no particular order, my favorite moments:

- Bub-BOOM. Buh-BOOM. Tony lays his head on maxie's chest, listening to BJ's heart beat as the screen slowly fades to black.

- Lucy Coe providing so many moments of scheming and humor. I couldn't help but love her.

- The Spencers -- and especially Laura -- anchored as a major part of the show. Genie Francis came into her own under Labine.

- The Qs. Including Jason and AJ who were almost like different sides of the same coin.

- Brenda and Lois and Robin as real best friends.

- Sonny and Brenda took my breath away as a couple. Any scene where they kissed was seriously tingly and swoon-worthy.

- BALANCE. Labine and her writing team had passion, drama, romance, humor and adventure. They had a good mix of characters which they rotated so that you could appreciate all the talent GH had to offer.

As for Ryan's Hope, I only saw episodes during the end of its run. Delia was a stand-out, though, as was Maeve and Siobhan and othe hotness that was Roscoe Born! I even liked Yasmine Bleeth and Grant Show (although I know some didn't). Most of all, I just remember feeling happy when I heard/saw the opening credits. There was something magical, comforting and very New York about that opening.

• Members

I COMPLETELY forgot about the Lullaby montage. So right - leagues better than the Amazing Grace montage (which I've always loved as well, but Laura singing to Lulu brought it all back to the heart of the show).

I love Brenda, and Vanessa Marcil, but when I think "heart and soul of Port Charles", Brenda Barrett's name isn't the first to come to mind. LOL!

Archived