GH/RH: Claire Labine

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know about most soaps... I just know that Michele Val Jean has said that Korte is in charge of assigning scripts to script writers (at least she was pre-strike), because she said in an interview with a soap mag (which was paraphrased on Carol Banks Weber's page on Soap Zone) that she wanted to write the initial Girls Night Out script, but Korte gave the script to Karen Harris for whatever reason.

So, if you notice with GH, if there's a heavy SCRUBS presence in that day's episode, it's usually a script written by Karen Harris. If there's a heavy presence of Sam's storyline in that day's episode -- it's a Thomson script. Michele Val Jean writes a lot for Carly and Jason, Susan Wald wrote a lot of TamCarly and Sonny fights, so on and so forth... I'm not saying that these are ONLY the characters or storylines these script writers will write for, I'm just saying when there's more than just a beat of a storyline and it's an actual B story for that episode (we all know the Mob is the show's never ending A story), notice who wrote the script.

As far as most soaps, all writers have their pet characters and couples they will promote, and characters and couples they love to malign as much as possible.

&

WorldTurner said: "The two biggies, Harris and Val Jean both started under Labine, not Guza. Korte was also there starting with Labine too, and even though she's Guza's #2, I doubt she'll leave if Guza gets fired."

Which is why I said: "Korte didn't leave when Guza left in 2000 and when Jill Farren Phelps demoted Michele Val Jean in 2001 in favor of McTavish. It was the changing of the guard(s) (both Riche leaving and Guza leaving) that bumped Korte up to MVJ's former position of story editor (which MVJ rose to under Labine, if I'm not mistaken)."

First part of that was me agreeing with WorldTurner in doubting Korte will leave if Guza gets fired -- because she didn't leave when Guza and Bennett left, nor did she leave after MVJ was demoted in favor of McTavish and subsequently left.

Second part of that statement was me saying that it was that transition between the Riche, Guza, Bennett regime and the Phelps & McTavish regime that made Korte SE. Up until then, that was MVJ's position. When MVJ was promoted to head writer, Korte took over and has been there ever since. So in my opinion, it has nothing to do with being Guza's #2 since she actually didn't get promoted by Guza. He kept her there when he came back, clearly, but technically she doesn't have to be loyal to him. So if he were to leave or be fired, I believe she'd stay.

• Members

Karen Harris IMO is one of the finest and most astute dialogue writers out there. Up there with Patrick Mulcahey in my esteem. If she wasn't going to be such a loss script-wise, I would LOVE it if she and PM were made co-HWs of GH. Both were mentored by Claire Labine and KH obviously knows and loves the show, if her scripts are anything to go by. I know she was HW for Port Charles for a time. I wonder what is stopping TPTB from bringing her to the forefront in this instance. I am persuaded she is the "Awesome Writer" Serial Drama references in their blog.

Archived