AMC: Hoping B&E are next to be FIRED

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guess we'll have to disagree, because IMO that's totally the reason they went Fi-Core, not because they love AMC(which they've shown repeatedly they don't) but because they knew ABC was about to can their hacky asses

I still think Sweeney was in NY for more than just to visit the View. Last year I can't remember which, but it was either Sweeney or Frons came to NY and not long after we found out McTrash was fired, so I think they'll be gone soon.

14% drop in ratings since September is not something I see ABC taking lightly....

• Members

I agree. I want B&E gone but I also don't understand why people think it will happen. Frons loves them, Carruthers loves them, look how long it took them to get rid of McTavish! There's no reason whatsoever to believe they will be fired. It's not like Frons is saying "oh look NBC fired a HW, CBS fired a HW, I guess I should fire one too!" There's no reason to expect that because Sheffer and LML were fired that B&E will be.

Plus, Frons is probably thinking "well those blasted viewers wanted McTavish gone and look how that turned out... so I'm not making any more changes".

• Members

Frons was in NY last year and I guess fired Megan in person while he was there. Then they attended the ABC/Broadway event together a day or so later lol. The literally sat side-by-side!

The President of the Disney-ABC Television Group doesn't go to fire the HWs of a soap opera in person. AMC is small potatoes to her. I wish she cared that much about AMC. The past few years would have been very different then.

Just curious: Do the people who believe B&E should be fired also believe OLTL's Carlivati should be fired? Because the ratings for AMC and OLTL are pretty much the same. As someone who wants B&E gone, I admit I don't want Carlivati gone...but is that not contradictory? All the praise for Carlivati aside, ratings are ratings.

• Members

Everyone remembers Frons saying that he'd welcome Megan back as part of the team (hell, I wouldn't put it past him to rehire her as HW)? We all, myself included, said this same stuff about Megan when she got canned. And look what that got the show with B&E. At this point I absolutely think it's a matter of be careful what you wish for. I'm still not convinced that any writer can repair what Megan broke. :(

• Members

And writing is writing. Carlivati can, B&E can't and haven't since 1996 or 1997.

The only reason I watch AMC now is for the Hubbards. I ignore everything else or watch a few segments for laughs. The Hubbards story is hardly innovative or well-written, but the actors is incredible. But that's not something to hinge viewership on or a whole show. Copious flashbacks to the "good times" of Angie and Jesse or Kendall/Greenlee/Ryan is not "respecting history" or telling a good story. Just about every story is bad and every character, except maybe the Hubbards, is gravely compromised - Tad, Adam, JR, Kendall, Greenlee, you name it. How do you build a show from the crap they've done if all you have is Angie, Jesse and Frankie?

AMC may have gotten a few bumps from promoting the hell out of RB, DM and DW but that was because it knew it had no content to hang it on. No story, nothing good. They still don't. I'll take content for OLTL over B&E or McTavish writing it, getting a BIG RETURN and saying "look, we got Andrea Evans! She just slept with Sarah's fiance!" or some such crap. It wouldn't matter if OLTL had Karen Wolek or Kevin, or Tina or Roger Howarth or any of those people we want to see again if like AMC, it was written badly and the canvas was unrecognizable.

• Members

Ratings don't always determine quality. It's one thing to be a well written show with bad ratings -- it's another thing to be a piss poorly BORING written show with bad ratings.

B&E are definitely in the second category. I've NEVER been so bored with this show in all the nineteen years I've been watching. I mean, damn! They bled the Crash storyline dry. Slavery basically lived in the hospital for two months, saying the same lines over and over and over again. They almost, almost gave us something interesting with Erica and Donovan and their Betty Ford Center history, but then dropped that like a hot rock from Hell.

The show was at its best these last five years during the interim -- the two and a half months between McTavish and B&E. That was the best in years! But of course, Amanda Beall started writing a little bit too much and the show became cartoonish... which made me happy for B&E even though I never wanted them near my show. But then they just took AMC's voice away altogether. I don't even feel like I'm watching AMC when I tune in.

• Members

Oh, you're right, I agree with that. I thought Kay Alden was just what AMC needed. She didn't want to band aid, she really seemed to know what MMT broke and wanted to fix it. Where it seems as though B&E have just band aided what Megan broke. I hope the right writer is out there, and I think he/she/they are.

• Members

Good writing aside, ratings are what count with networks anymore, and OLTL is much lowered rated than AMC these days.......

Any good writer can clean up the messes of McTrash and B&E. It's sad but under McTavish for the most part I could watch the show, but basically everyday under B&E I find myself saying "What the f*ck" on a daily basis.

Say what we will about McTrash, but I couldn't see her completely whitewashing what Greenlee did, she could have done that with Ryan many a times and didn't....

• Members

I agree with that. McT forced Ryan down our throats..... and made him as arrogant as ever but she didn't actively try to force the issue of Ryan being a saint and being forgiven for all his crimes.

B&E, Frons and JHC are all collectively behind the white washing if you ask me. I think we may have been at the point where we are at now in the summer, if it hadn\t been for the actor switch. JMO

B&E deserve to be fired solely for making AMC so boring........ and only featuring the same 6 characters constantly. They write this show as if it is Port Chalres continued complete with story arcs. Its better now than last fall with CRASH in terms of story balance, but still day to day this show goes up and then way down. McT and B&E I don't think can be rated lower or higher than each other. Both visions aren't AMC. The thing that brings McT down is that she did alter this show in ways that can never really be undone. She put her stamp on it. B&E get fired and we get a decent writing team, their messes pretty much can be cleaned up.... or at least their agendas will be cancelled. i.e the white wash of Greenlee....

Archived