Character Names on Soaps

• Members

I don't think any soap would ever use names that are tied to the icons who play them (like Erica or Reva). . or just too show-specific (like B&B's Ridge & Thorne, but sometimes I wonder why some names get used over and over. I seem to remember at one point Y & R had two Michaels! In the 20-plus years I've been watching AMC there have been two Davids, Melanies, Zachs, and Amandas. There have also been tons of Jakes, Brookes, Victorias...

Is it just that there aren't enough "regular" names to go around?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i see what you are saying but i dont want them all to use the same names over and over - it gets confusing.

and i hate it when they name a kid after the last name of a family on the show when people in that family are called by the last name... like Brady Black and Bo Brady on Days. too confusing. i hated that. granted, only hope called bo Brady but still. it annoyd me.

• Members

What's been annoying me about GH is the overuse of last names either as first names or just the name they go by. Morgan, Spencer, Cooper, Logan, Spinelli... I'm amazed they were creative enough to come up with Epiphany, but let down when they last named her Johnson.

• Members

... and Jax whose first name he goes by is his last name (this confused me a bit when I was introduced to the character who had already been on the show awhile). At least some recent new characters have very common names: Kate, Johnny, Anthony.

• Members

We'll never get another Greenlee, Kendall, Bianca, Drucilla, Evangeline, Joshua, & Paloma. Maybe a Whitney, Ivy, Paige, Bonnie, Kiesha, Leo, Jared, Jana, Ethan, Cane, Brad, & Colleen.

But I see a bunch of Lizabeth, Lily, Jessica, Carly, Bo, Nicholas, Jonathan, Victoria, Nicole, Sara, Jack, Olivia, Billy, Jamie, Daniel, & Frank .

• Members

none of those actually bother me. i think its because Fenmore is a cute off the wall name, and i have an obsessive love of Lauren, lol.

Summer is a rather common name now.

and i think Reed is a hot name. well not for a baby because babys i dont find hot... but ya know what i mean. every reed i ever met was hot. lol.

and i do love Sami's twins names on Days.

Archived