Character Names on Soaps

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Iris of AW was a pretty nice choice and played by two fantastic actresses (Bev McKinsey and Carmen Duncan)

I also thought Marian on AMC was pretty original too (played by the fabulous Jennifer Bassey)

I wonder if there have been that many Jill's aside from Y&R...I can't recall one but you never know.

Finally, Bobbie of GH. For a woman that's a pretty good one.

• Members

Bobbie's real name is Barbara Jean.I may be wrong,but I think that she went by that name when first introduced in 77.When Doug Marland took over,he renamed her Bobbie.Please let me know if that is true or not.

Barbara ranks as another name that every soap has used- which is kinda surprising as it has never been a fashionable name.

As for Jill,she has always been a main character on Y&R and other shows do shy away from using a name identified with a particular character-although there are exceptions.

Jill(Jillian)Coleridge was a popular character on Ryan's Hope for many years.I also recall a minor character on Days with that name.Was she involved with Bo in some way?

Other unique names -Roman,Kayla,Dorian,Langley,Sunny,Blaine,Clarice,Laine,Dimitri,Willis,Travis.

It is interesting that at one time,each network had a main character named Felicia-considering it is an unusual name.

I was always surprised that Y&R chose the names Sharon,Phyllis and Sheila for young female leads.

• Members

I was under the impression that Doug Marland created the character of Bobbie Spencer. And it's so true, there have been many Barbara's and it's never been a really popular name in the real world.

Also, excellent call on Felicia, that's a unique name that has become commonplace in the soaps.

It really seems that Agnes Nixon pioneered original names on her soaps whereas Bill Bell tended to name characters after his friends, colleagues or children.

• Members

As The World Turns used the name Sabrina for Bob and Kim's long lost daughter.She was originally played by Julianne Moore(in a dual role as her cousin Frannie)Later two different actresses played Sabrina and Frannie ,so they were no longer identical.

A question-were Sabrina and Frannie supposed to look alike originally or just resemble each other as cousins might?

Dark Shadows had Sabrina Stuart played by Lisa Richards.

As for Peyton,one of the characters on the nighttime soap Savannah had that name.

What names are you surprised that soaps haven't used,considering the amount of new characters and the fact that they can give an adult character a fashionable name?

Here are some names from the top 100 that haven't been used prominently(that might be a good thing!) Kaden/Caden,Blake.Tristan,Chase,Wyatt,Xavier,Carter,Hayden,Owen,Hunter,Landon,Nathan,J

acob

Alissa,Brianna,Ella,Jasmine,Alexa,Avery,Riley,Kylie,Arianna

Archived