Barack Obama Elected President!

Max

• Members

A TRUE Conservative!

I love this man!

Hagel takes aim at Limbaugh, Senate colleagues

Posted: 03:13 PM ET

Hagel had sharp words for Rush Limbaugh Tuesday.

Hagel had sharp words for Rush Limbaugh Tuesday.

(CNN) — As his Senate career nears its end, Republican Chuck Hagel isn't holding back when it comes to criticizing members of his own party — including conservative talk radio hosts.

"We are educated by the great entertainers like Rush Limbaugh," Hagel said Tuesday during a speech in Washington, according to the Huffington Post.

"You know, I wish Rush Limbaugh and others like that would run for office," a sarcastic Hagel continued. "They have so much to contribute and so much leadership and they have an answer for everything. And they would be elected overwhelmingly. [The truth is] they try to rip everyone down and make fools of everybody but they don't have any answers."

Hagel has increasingly become critical of his party in the aftermath of the Iraq War and notably held back endorsing his longtime friend John McCain during the presidential campaign. He's reportedly under consideration for a cabinet post in the Obama administration.

Speaking at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, Hagel also faulted Washington lawmakers for "raw, partisan, political paralysis."

"The American people don't like what is going on… they want us to start doing what leaders are expected to do, address the problems, find some consensus to governing. Get along. There will be disagreements, sure… but in the end we can't hold ourselves captives to this raw, partisan, political paralysis."

And for the record, if I wanted another Clinton White House, I would have voted for HRC. This is getting ridiculous.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hagel makes a lot of sense. I think people are tired of the name-calling, and I think they want to believe in a leader. Americans followed Ronald Reagan too because he represented hope. I did not agree with much that Reagan did, but he was a leader.

I personally think HRC will make a good SOS. I would sure like to see Hagel in the cabinet though.

• Members

So, if I'm to understand your qualifications to your outrageously stupid responses, non-racists make racist statements and possess a bigoted slant? Dude, that's ridiculous.

This forum is permeated with an intolerant bigoted slant, Roman. The responses today make that obvious and clear. Your comments... Ryan's comments in particular... are thrown about to silence opposition. The game is to hurl vile insults so that people like me will shut their mouths, fearing the "racist" label. Roman, you and clowns like Ryan (who apparently can violate rules of the forum all he wants without consequence -- unlike me with my 20% warning) can tag me with the racist label all you want. You have no clue what I'm like, the company I keep, or the friends I have. You judge me based on political ideology.

You're the bigot.

• Members

No wonder he is going to go down as the worst VP in history, but then againg GWB is going down as the worst President.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5005961,00.html

Dick Cheney indicted over prison abuse

From correspondents in Washington

November 19, 2008 01:27pm

A TEXAS grand jury has indicted US Vice President Dick Cheney for conspiring to block an investigation into abuse at privately run prisons.

The three-page indictment alleges that Mr Cheney profited from the abuse because he invested $US85 million ($131 million) in a mutual fund company which holds shares of for-profit prisons.

It said this was a "direct conflict of interest'' because Mr Cheney had influence over the federal contracts awarded to the prison companies.

The indictment also accused Mr Cheney of committing "at least misdemeanour assaults'' of inmates by allowing other inmates to assault them.

The indictment further alleges that former attorney-general Alberto Gonzalez "participated by further having used his position ... to stop the investigations as to the wrongdoings which includes the assaults committed in the prison for profit in Willacy County, Texas".

Mr Cheney and Mr Gonzalez were charged with engaging in organised criminal activity.

Mr Cheney's spokeswoman declined to comment because his office had not yet received a copy of the indictment.

"I'm not going to speculate or forecast the Vice President's legal options,'' Megan Mitchell said.

"Let's wait and see if we even receive one.''

Several other related indictments were brought against a host of public officials in what one lawyer called a circus act by a local prosecutor seeking revenge in his final weeks in office.

"We look forward to having the opportunity to have an independent, competent prosecutor review the facts, and are confident that once that happens these baseless charges will be dismissed,'' said Michael Cowen, who represents Texas State Senator Eddie Lucio.

• Members

No.

My friend, you get warned for the comments you make and the fact that you can't take responsibility for offending anyone. I ahve said offensive things about bouth John McCain and Sarah Palin, and when I was called out, I appologized.

You, on the other hand, post a extremely offensive, and some would say racist, joke about Obama, and instead of saying you're sorry for maybe offending people in this thread, you do what Republicans and ultra right-wing conservatives do........you blame me and others for your poor taste in jokes.

What you call me truly means nothing. In fact, you calling me a bigot may mean I'll sleep 10 hours tonight instead of the usual 8 hours. That is how much your words..........

Relaxed me.

But, my friend, if you still can't see that the words you use can offend, you are the one who is in a sad state of denial, not me.

Take it light, Brian. And God Bless.

• Members

I have nothing to apologize for, Roman. That joke wasn't racist. Your hypersensitivity puts to mind your motives and perhaps even your own level of bigotry.

Never had a doubt in my mind that you would sleep well. I'll sleep very well, myself. Always do, pal. In the meantime, enjoy this one...

2008-04-16-malkinsnob1.jpg

• Members

And now, back to the political news:

(CNN) -- Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, the Republican lawmaker convicted on felony corruption charges in October, appears to have lost his bid for re-election to Democrat Mark Begich, according to a release from Begich's campaign and unofficial results from state officials.

Democrat Mark Begich campaigns in Anchorage, Alaska, on Tuesday, November 4.

The statement and results Tuesday come two weeks after the election, after absentee ballots were counted.

The results of this race have national implications as Democrats seek a filibuster-proof 60-member majority in the Senate. Races in Minnesota and Georgia are still unresolved.

With 100 percent of Alaska's precincts reporting, Begich, the mayor of Anchorage, had roughly 47.7 percent of the vote, compared with about 46.6 percent for Stevens, according to unofficial results posted on the Alaska Secretary of State's Web site.

He appears to have bested Stevens by 3,724 votes, according to the posted results.

Alaska elections Director Gail Fenumiai said 2,500 overseas ballots remain to be counted.

She said officials hope to make an official announcement during the week of December 1 -- and that Stevens would then have five days to request a recount.

Stevens, who turned 85 on Tuesday, was convicted in October of filing false statements on his Senate financial disclosure forms. Prosecutors said Stevens hid hundreds of thousands of dollars in "freebies" from an oil-field services company in his home state.

On Tuesday, his fellow Senate Republicans postponed a vote they had planned on whether to kick Stevens out of their caucus pending the final vote results.

Stevens maintained his innocence even after the conviction. At a debate days before the election, he said he had "not been convicted of anything."

In his statement claiming victory, Begich said he was "humbled and honored" by the apparent results.

"It's been an incredible journey getting to this point, and I appreciate the support and commitment of the thousands of Alaskans who have brought us to this day," he said in the written statement. "I can't wait to get to work fighting for Alaskan families."

Archived