Barack Obama Elected President!

Max

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved reading these responses. Ryan...ICAM that affirmative action is still very much needed. One of the first things Jeb Bush did when he took the govenor's office was to repeal it. He replaced it with a watered-down, neutered policy called "One Florida". Attendance by minorities at public universities has never been the same. Another issue that I've talked about before is sentencing disparity, which IMHO and let's face it, is based in racial issues. I can't understand someone that could deny that.

Hopefully, the rumored "urban czar" that Obama may appoint (there's rumors) will address both of these problems.

Additionally, there are disparities in pay between white and blacks doing the same job.

What I'm hoping for before I leave this Earth is a country that truly lives up to it's claims of "all men are created equal".

• Members

Calif. Supreme Court to take up gay marriage ban

By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer Lisa Leff, Associated Press Writer – 48 mins ago

SAN FRANCISCO – California's highest court agreed Wednesday to hear several legal challenges to the state's new ban on same-sex marriage but refused to allow gay couples to resume marrying before it rules.

The California Supreme Court accepted three lawsuits seeking to nullify Proposition 8, a voter-approved constitutional amendment that overruled the court's decision in May that legalized gay marriage.

All three cases claim the measure abridges the civil rights of a vulnerable minority group. They argue that voters alone did not have the authority to enact such a significant constitutional change.

As is its custom when it takes up cases, the court did not elaborate on its decision.

Along with the gay rights groups and local governments petitioning to overturn the ban, the measure's sponsors and Attorney General Jerry Brown had urged the Supreme Court to consider whether Proposition 8 passes legal muster.

The court directed Brown and lawyers for the Yes on 8 campaign to submit their arguments for why the ballot initiative should not be nullified by Dec. 19. It said lawyers for the plaintiffs, who include same-sex couples who did not wed before the election, must respond before Jan. 5. Oral arguments could be scheduled as early as March, according to court spokeswoman Lynn Holton.

Both opponents and supporters of Proposition 8 expressed confidence Wednesday that their arguments would prevail.

But they also agreed that the cases present the court's seven justices — six of whom voted to review the challenges — with complex questions that have few precedents in state case law.

• Members

So, there's a guy on Lou Dobbs talking about how the Republican party needs to go more to the right. He claims that the republican party was "damaged" before John McCain. Yes, the party was "damaged," but not because it wasn't far enough to the right concerning moral beliefs. :rolleyes:

Bush hasn't been as conservative on political issues such as big govt and all that jazz, but I don't think he or many Repubs have budged on social issues.

• Members

The Republican Party, IMO, spends all their time launching hateful messages and being huge hypocrites. Now, many Democrats are no better, which is why I now feel we need a true 3rd party, but the RP spends their time going after Gays & Lesbians, people of color and women, trying to cut off fundemental rights guranteed under the Constitution.

• Members

Well, by your standards then, it should matter that I was offended and actually reported the post in which Ryan suggested I was a Klan member. Where is his apology to me?

While the sum total of the forum has decided the joke was racist and I'm a bigot, everyone has virtually ignored Ryan's hateful comment and given him a pass.

Your high standards and tolerant words are defeated by your hypocrisy and double-standard. It's all bullshit and you know it. It seems to me that it only matters that a person is offended when and if they agree with you. You say that isn't what you mean? Then tell Ryan you disagree with him... and I would like to see a 20% warning next to his name. Of course, those who "moderate" the forum are hypocrites, themselves, as they haven't even responded to my complaint against Ryan. When Roman whined about whatever it was I said a month or two ago, I heard it about it right away and was slapped with a warning. In fact, Toupsy kindly told me that I could also complain. I guess he left that part off that it doesn't particularly MATTER if *I* complain... but that I could.

And that I have. With no result. I personally take that as an indication that, unless I have a hardon for Obama and wish to fall at the man's feet, my input isn't welcome here. Please note: I was the last remaining dissenting voice. Do you seriously believe every single Republican or Conservative voice has left because they are ALL sore losers? Get a clue.

Archived